Destiny 2 Season Of The Chosen: Seasonal Challenges Guide (Week 4)
Here's how challenges work and what's asked of you during the first four weeks.
With Season of the Chosen, Bungie has introduced a new seasonal challenges system to Destiny 2. It should help to shake things up by removing certain bounties and introducing a new system. This will give you more time to complete certain objectives, letting you also get more rewards in the process. Each week adds fresh objectives, while also stacking new objectives on top of old ones--so progress you made in the previous weeks will keep counting toward new Seasonal Challenges, cutting down on the time you'll be investing to unlock them all.
Here's how it works and all of the seasonal challenges available so far.
How Do Seasonal Challenges Work?
Seasonal challenges are accessed from the Quests tab, and they consist of a wide variety of objectives--so far they have involved tasks such as acquiring the new Cabal Gold currency, completing certain activities on Europa, and defeating Guardians in Mayhem with your Super. Each of these objectives has its own corresponding reward, which always includes XP. Other rewards include bright dust, emblems, weapons, and--perhaps most notably--War Table reputation, which is a new mechanic for Season of the Chosen.
A total of 10 challenges comprise Week 1's lineup, and a new set of challenges (ranging from three to 10) will be introduced for the first 10 weeks of the season. Notably, you won't only have that week to complete them: These challenges will be available for the duration of the season. Bungie has done away with certainly weekly bounties in favor of this system, which won't penalize you for taking a week (or three) off during the course of the season. You'll also have a period of time after the introduction of the Week 10 challenges to take care of those and any earlier challenges you haven't already completed. Season of the Chosen will see 75 challenges offered, and completing them all will fulfill the requirements for the Master of All seasonal challenge, which nets you a bunch of bright dust.
Challenges can only be completed once per account, and there's no process for obtaining them--when they're released each week, they'll be directly added to your challenges system. Other bounties do still exist and will need to be claimed as usual, but don't forget the Destiny app now allows these to be claimed while in orbit. You don't need the season pass in order to do seasonal challenges, but some (around 40% by Bungie's estimate) will require you to have access to season-specific content.
Season Of The Chosen Challenges
- Contender's Ascent
- Challenger's Proving quest completed
- Cabal defeats with rocket launcher (75)
- Golden Reaper
- Acquire Cabal Gold (100)
- Crash and Converge
- Tribute Chests smashed (5)
- Engrams focused (5)
- Lenses in Focus
- Lenses unlocked
- Challenger's Aspiration
- Weekly playlist challenges completed (3)
- Europa bounties completed (10)
- Europa progress earned (bountiest, patrols, public events, Lost Sectors)
- Hail of Bullets
- Calibrate kinetic weapons on Europa
- Dredgin' Up Victory
- Complete Gambit matches
- Flourish of Power
- Defeat Guardians in Mayhem with Supers (50)
- Dominance Operandi: Fallen
- Defeat Fallen combatants in Strikes
Week 1's challenges are reasonably straightforward. Advancing through the new seasonal content will get you on the right track with a number of objectives, such as setting you up to complete the Challenger's Proving quest. That involves obtaining the Hammer of Proving and then socketing it with a Challenger Medallion, which is done by obtaining Cabal Gold (another Week 1 challenge). Other tasks will simply involve making sure you pay attention to what you're doing, like playing Mayhem and killing other players with your Super or using kinetic weapons on Europa.
- Contender's Ascent II
- Report to the H.E.L.M. War Table and complete the Challenger's Proving II quest.
- Golden Reaper
- Acquire Cabal Gold (200)
- Crash and Converge
- Tribute Chests smashed (10)
- Engrams focused (10)
- The Bigger They Are...
- Defeat Cabal Elites or Bosses anywhere in the system (60)
- Trials of the Tinker
- Unlock Seasonal Artifact mods (12)
- Chosen Cosmonaut
- In the Cosmodrome, earn progress points by completing public events, bounties, patrols, and Lost Sectors.
- Complete Cosmodrome bounties (10)
- Expose to the Elements
- Calibrate Elemental weapons in the Cosmodrome
- Drifter's Chosen
- Earn points by banking motes, defeating Blockers, and defeating Invaders in Gambit (250)
- Entertain Lord Shaxx
- Complete matches in the Showdown Crucible playlist. Bonus progress for wins.
- Dominance Operandi: Cabal
- Defeat Cabal bosses in Strikes (5)
You'll put a lot of your focus on your Week 2 challenges in the Cosmodrome. Despite the arrival of the Dead Man's Tale Exotic scout rifle and the new Presage mission, neither is necessary to complete this week's challenges (although they do hide secrets all their own). This week's challenges are mostly about continued progress--drop by the H.E.L.M. for a new weekly quest that takes you to a new Battleground and keep beating back the Cabal to earn gold and smash Tribute chests. It's worth noting that all your progress from last week carries over to this week, so challenges that double the requirements from their previous iterations--like Crash and Converge or Golden Reaper--don't require double the work. If you earned 100 Cabal Gold last week, you'll be halfway to the 200 Cabal Gold you need for this week, in other words. And if you earned more Cabal Gold than you needed for last week's challenge, it'll already be counted on this week's version.
- Contender's Ascent III
- Report to the H.E.L.M. War Table and complete the Challenger's Proving III quest.
- Golden Reaper
- Acquire Cabal Gold (300)
- Crash and Converge
- Tribute Chests Smashed (15)
- Focus a Tier 3 Umbral Engram (requires five Hammer of Proving charges)
- Captain's Log
- Leave no stone unturned aboard the Glykon (use our Destiny 2 Presage Secrets guide to find all the scannables aboard the Glykon)
- Failsafe Forward
- On Nessus, earn progress points by completing public events, bounties, patrols, and Lost Sectors.
- Complete Nessus bounties (10)
- Challenger's Apogee
- Earn Prime, Powerful, and Pinnacle Engrams to increase your overall Power level to 1300.
- Algorithmic Precision
- Calibrate weapons on Nessus by landing precision kills.
- Primeval Entourage
- Defeat Taken in Gambit. Earn more progress for defeating tougher Taken enemies.
- Iron Sharpens Iron
- Complete Iron Banner matches, earning bonus progress for wins.
- Challenge Our Foes
- Complete 5 Playlist Strikes.
Week 3's challenges mostly continue to expand on your past H.E.L.M. feats, while sending you to Nessus rather than the Cosmodrome this week. As with last week, many of these challenges will count progress you made in the past, so while you need to earn 300 Cabal Gold this week, that's added to the 200 Gold requirement from last week. Probably the most notable challenge this week is Captain's Log, which sends you back to the Presage Exotic mission. There are more secrets to uncover aboard the ship than just Dead Man's Tale, with this week's feat focused on uncovering the story found within the derelict ship. There are five scannable objects to find aboard the Glykon, and unlocking all of them will clear the challenge.
- Contender's Ascent IV
- Report to the H.E.L.M. War Table and complete the Challenger's Proving IV quest.
- Defeat Cabal with sniper rifles after completing Challenger's Proving IV.
- Golden Reaper
- Acquire Cabal Gold (400)
- Intruder Alert
- Don't allow enemies to interrupt Ghost in two Battleground missions.
- Explosive Entrance
- Defeat 10 Champions in Battlegrounds.
- Get 40 grenade kills in Battlegrounds.
- Contender's Delve
- Complete a Lost Sector at Legend difficulty or higher.
- Challenger's Cypher
- Decrypt 5 Prime Engrams.
- Sling The Stone...
- Stagger, pierce, or disrupt 30 Champions.
- High-Value Hunter
- Defeat powerful combatants in Gambit, with bonus progress for defeating High-Value Targets.
- Cadre Of Contenders
- Complete Crucible matches in the Competitive playlist.
- Vanguard's Chosen
- Complete 3 Nightfall: The Ordeal Strikes at Hero difficulty or higher.
While Week 4's challenges continue the overall seasonal thread of rewarding you for competing in Battlegrounds and acquiring Cabal Gold, it also incentivizes you to dive into some tougher content this week. Legendary Lost Sectors are great for finding Exotics, so it's worth checking them each day to see which ones will drop rewards you need (there's a new batch of Exotic chest armor this season, with one new piece for each character class). There's no new Seasonal Challenge for taking on the Presage mission, but you can unlock an Exotic Ghost shell if you venture into it and find all the scannable lore items there.
- Master Of All
- Complete all seasonal challenges (75)
For more, check out a list of known issues and all of Season of the Chosen's new Exotics and gear in the season pass, plus update 3.1.0 patch notes. Those who own the pass can immediately pick up the fun new Exotic bow.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.