Destiny 2 Patch Notes - Update 2.7.1: Wormgod's Caress, Winter's Guile Disabled
Sorry, you can't use Wormgod's Caress or Winter's Guile to wreck Riven solo.
Update: Destiny 2's Update 2.7.1 introduced a major bug, and to deal with it, Bungie rolled back the game to its state before the patch was instituted--something Bungie has never done with Destiny before. However, the fixes intended for Exotics Wormgod's Caress and Winter's Guile were also undone by the rollback, which reintroduces exploits players have been using to do massive damage to bosses in the Season of Dawn. In response, Bungie has disabled both Winter's Guile and Wormgod's Caress for the time being, until a future fix can be launched. There's no word on how quickly that will happen, but for the time being you'll have to make do with other gauntlets.
Due to an issue with the Winter’s Guile and Wormgod Caress exotic gauntlets retaining increased melee damage after their intended timer cooldowns, they have been disabled until a fix can be deployed at a later date.— Bungie Help (@BungieHelp) January 30, 2020
Original story: Destiny 2's Season of Dawn has produced some interesting bugs. Players quickly realized that certain Exotic armor perks could be used in ways they weren't intended, which allowed Titans and Warlocks with the right loadouts to devastate tough raid bosses. Bungie's latest update to Destiny 2 does away with all that, while fixing a bunch of other little issues with Season of Dawn along the way. It also inadvertently introduced an issue involving currency that forced Bungie to take servers offline for an extended period. With servers now back online, here's an overview of what's new on PS4, Xbox One, and PC and the full patch notes.
Bungie released the patch notes for Update 2.7.1 on its website, detailing all the myriad bugs that are gettings squashed in the game. Most are pretty minor but have probably annoyed quite a few players over the last few months--like the bug that can kill you for no reason as you travel from one encounter to another in the Pit of Heresy dungeon. But the most notable are definitely changes to Exotics that include Wormgod's Caress, Synthoceps, and Winter's Guile, which players were exploiting to kick their damage output into ridiculously high gear.
Destiny 2 News And Guides
Titans found that their Throwing Hammer melee attack could be juiced up considerably by switching rapidly between Wormgod's Caress and Synthoceps, triggering both pieces of armor's perks at the same time. A similar exploit was possible with the Winter's Guile Exotic for Warlocks, allowing players to kick up their melee damage to ridiculous extremes by triggering its perks. The damage boost is only supposed to last for five seconds, but players discovered if you unequipped and re-equipped the armor, you could extend the timer.
Update 2.7.1 is supposed to end all of that by changing these Exotics so players don't retain their perks if they unequip the Exotics, which means Guardians will have to find new ways to rock Riven and other major bosses. Check out Bungie's full patch notes below.
PIT OF HERESY
- Improved some performance issues in the Chamber of Suffering encounter that could reduce framerates.
- Fixed an issue where players could die when transitioning from the Necropolis encounter to the Tunnels of Despair.
- Fixed an issue where players could get out of the environment in the Tunnels of Despair.
GARDEN OF SALVATION
- Improved a performance issue that could occur when chunks of land return, or are removed during the Sanctified Mind encounter.
- Improved the visual indication for when a tether source hub is on or off.
- Added text notification when a Vex sacrifices on a relay.
NIGHTFALL: THE ORDEAL
- Reduced weekly completions needed to bring it in line with other challenges.
- Players now need three completions on Adept, two completions on Hero, or one completion on Legend or Master.
- Players can now shortcut directly to their Roster by selecting their empty fireteam slots, or by invoking the Roster shortcut on Director Map screens.
- When an activity is selected, fireteam leaders can navigate left and right to get to Quests and Roster respectively, then back to return to the selected activity.
- Seasonal Bow mods should now work reliably with Hush.
- Fixed an issue where Onslaught would reduce damage at 2x Rampage stacks despite not increasing Rate of Fire.
- Adjusted scope feedback and camera shake on Hard Light firing.
- Eriana's Vow no longer gets more ammo when swapping from other Special ammo weapons in Gambit. Starting ammo in Gambit increased from six to ten.
- Fixed an issue where swapping from Two-Tailed Fox to another Power weapon would generate more ammo than intended.
- Fixed an issue where Leviathan's Breath started PVE activities with more ammo than intended.
- Fixed an issue where Xenophage started PVE activities with more ammo than intended.
- The Empowered Finisher Dawn mod will no longer consume Super energy if you do not have a mod equipped that is capable of benefiting from the Charged with Light buff.
- The Ever Ready Dawn mod will now stack correctly with weapon dexterity leg armor mods applicable to the weapons it covers.
- The Heavy Handed Dawn mod will no longer trigger after the death of Telesto bolts. Increased the number of enemies that must be near the player to trigger the ammo-granting benefit from two to three.
- Several class item armor mods will now correctly provide diminishing returns when multiple copies of the mod are equipped. These mods include Perpetuation, Innervation, Invigoration, Insulation, and Absolution.
- Wormgod Caress and Winter's Guile no longer retain the status of their buff if the armor piece is unequipped.
- The perk on Synthoceps now deactivates immediately when the armor piece is unequipped.
- The Transcendent Blessing Outlaw mod will now correctly appear in players' inventory; previously, it would only be visible in the mod flyout when socketing a mod.
- Grenade Launcher Scavenger will no longer award Special ammo for Grenade Launchers when the player picks up Primary ammo bricks.
- The last finisher removed from favorites will no longer override the fallback default class finisher.
- Giddy Laugh rare emote now has a valid icon and can be selected for equipping on the emote wheel.
- Shadowkeep campaign Exotic armor no longer has a potential to show up in Xur's weekly inventory.
- Gunsmith now properly assesses the owned status of Unflinching Machine Gun and Unflinching Hand Cannon mods.
POWER AND PROGRESSION
- Fixed an issue that caused the amount of XP earned not to show up next to the XP progress bar.
- NOTE: This issue may still exist for players after they reach Seasonal Rank 100, but all XP earned will still apply to Seasonal Ranks above 100.
- Changed the progress bar description on the Weekly Strike challenge from "Bounties completed" (which was incorrect) to "Strikes completed".
- Completion values for some of the destination Obelisk Weekly Bounties have been reduced.
- Fixed an issue where the “Green with Envy” pursuits could stop progressing correctly.
- Players who were in this state should have their progress updated retroactively
- Fixed an issue in which Roaring Flames was buffing Solar Weapon Damage while standing in a Well of Radiance.
- Fixed an issue in which Sunbreaker Titans were able to self-heal by bouncing a Throwing Hammer off a wall.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Warlocks from using Blink after switching weapons or cancelling sprint.
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause the Sunbreaker Titan's Mortar Blast to deal little to no damage.
- Fixed an issue that allowed Sunbreaker Titans to gain stacks of Roaring Flames by destroying Telesto projectiles.
- Increased the Sunbreaker Titan's Mortar Blast damage by 70 percent in PvE.
- Players will remain in spaceflight instead of going to a black screen when they load into a PvP match faster than their peers.
BOUNTIES AND PURSUITS
- Fixed an issue that could prevent players from obtaining the Black Armory Key Mold quest from Ada-1 on multiple characters.
- Acquisition of Black Armory rare bounties significantly improved.
- Players that complete all available weekly and daily bounties will acquire a rare bounty within five days.
- Black Armory Keys taking up space in Pursuits will be removed if a player has already completed the Mysterious Box Izanagi's Burden quest chain and unlocked the Exotic in their Collections.
- The Gambit Prime "Collector" bounty will now progress from picking up Luna destination materials.
- Fixed an issue affecting the "Newest" sorting option in Pursuits.
- Newly acquired quests, or quests that get updated, will now be properly sorted to the top
- In Collections, the "Playin' the Odds" Gambit emblem will now properly register as unlocked and can be reacquired accordingly.
- Fixed an issue that was impacting the Unveiling Triumph.
- Eris is now ready to present her final Lore entry to players who need it.
- The Unveiling Lore Triumph now correctly reads #/11 Lore pieces and will unlock upon obtaining the final Lore piece.
- Fixed an issue where certain randomized dialogue would play more or less frequently than intended.
- Fixed an issue that was causing notifications to appear again after transferring items using the Bnet D2 API.
- Improved performance when receiving certain messages from the server.
- Largest impact will be in the Tower, but should help everywhere.
- Fixed an issue that caused FOTL items to be stuck in the postmaster as invisible items for some players.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org