Cyberpunk 2077 Patch Notes: Update 1.04 Deals With Seizure Concerns, Copyrighted Music
Update 1.04 is available on PS4/PS5, PC, and Xbox consoles now.
Developer CD Projekt Red has dropped a new update for Cyberpunk 2077 on PC, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 that addresses its copious bugs and issues. Update 1.04, which hit Xbox consoles about a day later, also addresses one especially dangerous problem.
It's no secret that Cyberpunk 2077 has been plagued by issues since its December 10 launch, with some players even seeing their main character's genitals through clothing, among other complaints. While this particular issue isn't called out in the patch notes, possibly because it's funnier than it is game-breaking, Update 1.04 does address various problems with Cyberpunk 2077. This includes stabilizing the game and ironing out the myriad crashes. Not all of them appear to be fixed yet. At least on Xbox Series X, the patch came in for us at about 16GB.
Other fixes for Cyberpunk 2077 include reducing vehicle appearance pop-in, addressing issues with missing NPC animations during cinematics, fixing the weapon preview while crafting, and removing copyrighted music through the "Disable Copyrighted Music" toggle. The latter feature was not working as intended after launch, prompting CD Projekt Red to recommend that streamers disable Cyberpunk 2077's music entirely to avoid risking DMCA strikes. That certainly makes car rides less exciting.
Another major concern involved flashes that potentially could trigger seizures in those with epilepsy. According to the patch notes, CD Projekt Red has "[m]odified the flashing effect on braindances to reduce the risk of inducing epileptic symptoms. The effect has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude." It's too early to tell if this entirely fixes the issue, so we still suggest being careful if you have had light-induced seizures before.
Quests in Cyberpunk 2077 are also being tweaked, with a handful of them--such as the A Like Supreme quest and Freedom of the Press Gig--being optimized to ensure players can either complete or re-track them. There are other fixes being implemented as well, including Jackie no longer standing still in The Ripperdoc, conversations with Johnny Silverhand initiating like they're meant to, and progress being unblocked when taking on the I Fought The Law quest.
Cyberpunk 2077 Update 1.04 Patch Notes
- Fixed an issue with completing the final objective in Gig: Freedom of the Press.
- Fixed an issue with starting a conversation with Johnny at the end in Life During Wartime.
- Corrected a rare issue with NPCs no longer calling V if A Like Supreme quest was abandoned mid-way.
- Fixed an issue with Nix not going into his default state in Spellbound and KOLD MIRAGE.
- Fixed issues blocking progress in I Fought The Law if the quest area is left.
- Fixed inability to find Delamain in Epistrophy.
- Fixed issues related to remaining in the second phase of the quest after finishing Pacifica fight with Ozob if played after Finals.
- Fixed an issue with Nomads no longer present if V leaves the quest area mid-combat in With a Little Help from My Friends/Queen of the Highway.
- Adjusted mappings and re-enabled quest tracker in Map Tann Pèlen/I Walk the Line/Transmission.
- Fixed constraints on freedom to get up and sit down if neither blueline condition is met in Violence.
- Fixed issues with time and space resulting from leaving the quest area or abandoning the quest in Following the River.
- Fixed an issue with a conversation with Johnny not starting after leaving the hotel in Tapeworm.
- Fixed an issue with quest being blocked upon leaving the quest area before climbing the hill in Following the River.
- Fixed the objective "Go into booth 9" not completing if the room's entered too fast in Automatic Love.
- Fixed Jackie's issues with sitting still in The Ripperdoc.
- Other quest fixes
- Fixed the preview in weapon crafting.
- Reduced vehicle appearance pop-in.
- Speeded up switching from first-person perspective to third-person perspective in a vehicle.
- Fixed issues with animations missing from important quest NPCs during cinematics.
Performance & Stability
- Improved stability, including various crash fixes.
- Modified the flashing effect on braindances to reduce the risk of inducing epileptic symptoms. The effect has been smoothed out and the flashes reduced in frequency and magnitude.
- Removed copyrighted songs incorrectly present in the game with the "Disable Copyrighted Music" feature toggled on.
- Switching language to default in the in-game settings now correctly sets it to the language of your Steam client.
- Improved reflections quality on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to eliminate the smudge effect.
- Fixed "The Wasteland" achievement being stuck on 97% after completing all relevant missions in The Badlands on Xbox.
- Fixed an issue with missing PT-BR VO for Xbox players in the Americas.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.