Comic-Con 2018: What's Up With That "F*** Batman" Line In DC's Titans Trailer?
Robin just has so many f-bombs to give.
We got our first look at Titans, a reimagined and darker version of Teen Titans from the DC universe, at SDCC 2018 and there's one line that jumped out at as all. Without significant context, Robin proclaims "F*** Batman." So what's with the angsty boy wonder turning against his once comrade?
Titans follows Dick Grayson as an adult; he's grown up and become a police officer, and eventually the leader of the Titans. From the first trailer, we can tell that the majority of the series will center around Raven, who is trying to manage the darkness within her. What caught us off guard in the trailer was this moment: as Robin is fighting a mob of criminals, one says "Where's Batman?" to which he replies "F*** Batman."
In a discussion with Polygon, Geoff Johns, DC's former president and CCO who is now a writer and executive producer on Titans, explains. "The trailer shows a piece of the tone of the show--the show’s not all that," Johns said. "But it does make you go, 'Why is he saying ['F*** Batman']?’
"If you look at when Robin first left Batman in the comics, there was a lot of uneasiness and him being lost. Titans is really a series about these different characters that are all lost in their lives; just like the greatest comic book Titans run ever, by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, it’s about all these lost characters find one another. And they’re all struggling with something, and Robin is clearly struggling with his past with Batman."
Titans will air this fall on DC's streaming service DC Universe. We don't have an exact date yet, but we know the 10-episode series will air with the launch of the service. For everything else we know about the series so far, make sure to check out the trailer reveal story.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Comic-Con 2018 Schedule: Guide To The Must-See TV And Movie Panels
- Comic-Con 2018 Saturday Schedule
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 2
- Best Marvel Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix's Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What's Up With The "F*** Batman" Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix's Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening's New Show
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts
- Venom Debuts New Footage, Teases Spider-Man Crossover
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Is "Not OK" With James Gunn Firing
- Fantastic Beasts 2 Footage Introduces Nicolas Flamel At Comic-Con 2018
- The Lego Movie 2 Comic-Con Footage Shows The Two Sides Of Chris Pratt
- Shazam Trailer Makes Exclusive Debut
- Aquaman Trailer Finally Arrives, Exclusive Footage Shows Classic Costume
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org