Comic-Con 2018: Tom Hardy Took Venom Role Thanks To His Son
You should be extremely afraid.
During San Diego Comic-Con 2018, Variety interviewed Tom Hardy, who is starring as the titular character in the upcoming movie Venom, and the actor spoke to why he chose to take on the role. He attributes this to his son's love of the character itself as the motivating factor. Hardy felt like he'd done his part in the world of superheroes having played Bane in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises, but it seems that kids have tremendous influence over their parents.
In the video clip below, Hardy says, "My son came to me with a specific character that he absolutely fell in love with, and I started to take a look at it myself. And then, as if by magic, a script appeared on the horizon, which was awesome. Because having had done Dark Knight [Rises] with Chris[topher Nolan], I kind of done my superhero bit in some aspects. But when I was presented with the opportunity to play Venom, and that correlated with my son's love for Venom and how cool he was, I got really really excited and decided I really wanted to do it."
In regards to the movie's rating, director Ruben Fleischer said, "We'll have to see. I mean, we're pushing the envelope. And so, it remains to be seen, the movie's not rated at the present." It seems that it's possible for Venom to receive an R-rating.
Venom is set to hit theaters on October 5, 2018, which of course stars Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock / Venom, Michelle Williams as Anne Weying (district attorney and Eddie's girlfriend), and Riz Ahmed as Carlton Drake (leader of the Life Foundation that's working on the symbiote). Hardy's most notable roles from recent films include Farrier from Dunkirk, John Fitzgerald in The Revenant, and Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road, and plays Alfie Solomons in the BBC TV series Peaky Blinders.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Comic-Con 2018 Schedule: Guide To The Must-See TV And Movie Panels
- Comic-Con 2018 Saturday Schedule
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 2
- Best Marvel Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix's Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What's Up With The "F*** Batman" Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix's Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening's New Show
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts
- Venom Debuts New Footage, Teases Spider-Man Crossover