Cloverfield Paradox: New Netflix Movie Revealed And Then Released After Super Bowl
Things are going to get weird again.
The latest entry in the Cloverfield series made a brief appearance at the Super Bowl, where a short teaser for the flick was shown revealing it's called The Cloverfield Paradox and it will be available to stream on Netflix now.
The teaser recalled the event that kicked off the franchise, when a strange being arrived on Earth 10 years ago. The new film promises that viewers will "find out why." The teaser features what looks to be strange futuristic machinery charging some sort of laser, and also shots of people on a spaceship. Both of these things line up with previous reports that the film, before it was part of the Cloverfield universe, was set on an international space station where an experimental particle accelerator makes the Earth disappear.
In the teaser a character played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw says, "Whatever you're doing, stop!" just before a space station is shown exploding. There's also some other really weird stuff happening, most notably a dismembered arm crawling towards the crew of the ship, as if possessed. Check out the trailer above, and read more about it in our Cloverfield Paradox review.
The Cloverfield Paradox originally started off as a movie called God Particle and was written by Oren Uziel. In 2017, Uziel noted that some work had to be done to refit the movie so it'd work in the Cloverfield universe. "We rewrote during production, but I'm not sure what it means to be part of the expanded Cloverfield universe, other than knowing what kind of quality and feel you're gonna get from something that's coming out of Bad Robot and JJ," he said.
After the first Cloverfield movie premiered in 2008, audiences were stunned when a surprise trailer for a new installment--10 Cloverfield Lane--showed up in theaters. That film was met with positive reviews and over $100 million at the box office on a budget of only $15 million.
You can see more of this year's Super Bowl commercials below.
- The Best And Funniest Commercials From Super Bowl LII
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Teaser Trailer Debuts At Super Bowl, And It Looks Awesome
- Full Solo: A Star Wars Story Trailer Is Here, And It's Fantastic
- Avengers: Infinity War Super Bowl Movie Trailer: "So This Is It"
- Westworld Season 2 Trailer Confirms Release Date During The Super Bowl
- New Cloverfield Movie Releases On Netflix Today, Teaser Shown At Super Bowl
- The Rock's Super Bowl Movie Trailer Shows Him Jumping Off A Skyscraper
- Mission: Impossible Fallout Super Bowl LII Trailer Is Non-Stop Action
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Gets New Trailer During Super Bowl LII
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org