Check Out These Star Wars 7 Deleted Scene Images and Descriptions
What was cut and why.
Ever since Star Wars: The Force Awakens conquered the box office in December, there has been much speculation about what scenes were not included in the final film. All will be revealed when it hits Blu-ray and DVD next month, but in advance, new images and descriptions of these scenes have been released. Check them out in the gallery below, via EW:
There will be seven deleted scenes on the home entertainment release of The Force Awakens. They include Finn having to make a difficult decision during the opening attack on Jakku, and Han, Finn, and Chewie discovering a squad of stormtroopers in the basement of Maz's castle. Other scenes will feature Kylo Renn, who leads his men to inspect the crashed Millennium Falcon on the surface of Starkiller base, an early scene of Leia learning about the Jakku massacre, and Poe Dameron engaging in additional X-Wing action.
Speaking to EW, director JJ Abrams explained why these scenes were removed from the final movie. "There are so many things that end up getting cut because of the greater good," he said. "[It's] because of the rhythm of the sequence or the need to get on with it, a sense of redundancy. You don’t know any of these things when you’re making the movie, of course. It was sometimes after months of working on something that you realize finally--you just don’t need it."
The full list of extras on the home video version of The Force Awakens is as follows (descriptions written by Disney):
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie's script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider's look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie's visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
- Deleted Scenes
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com