Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare's First Free Content Season Dated And Detailed
New maps, modes, weapons, and more are on the way very soon.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is preparing to launch its first round of post-launch content, and Infinity Ward promises it's "our most ambitious season of content ever." It will begin on December 3, and the studio has laid out a roadmap of what we can expect when it goes live.
The studio gave the date and teaser in a pair of tweets and a more detailed blog post. The content roadmap shows lots of new maps, along with modes, guns, and Spec Ops missions. The maps include Crash, Vacant, and Shipment in multiplayer, Cargo, Atrium, and unspecified additional maps in 2v2 Gunfight, and Port in Ground War mode.
Meanwhile, multiplayer will add three more modes: Reinforce, Gunfight OSP, and Infected. Spec Ops will get Bomb Squad, Grounded, Pitch Black, Just Reward, and more, and new guns include the Ram-7 and Holger-26. It will come to PC, Xbox One, and PS4 simultaneously, as there's no more PS4 timed exclusivity.
A new gun or two may be welcome, seeing as Infinity Ward has had to make multiple attempts at balancing one particular shotgun. This season kickoff will be the official state of Modern Warfare's battle pass, which it's utilizing for post-launch content without splintering the player base with map packs. That means all the maps and modes above will be available for everyone. You'll be able to earn anything with an impact on gameplay, such as weapons or attachments, while you can pay extra for cosmetic items.
If you don't yet have Modern Warfare but want to get in on it before the season drops, there are some good discounts available with Black Friday sales.
Modern Warfare Season 1 Free Content (written by Activision):
- Crash (Multiplayer Map): The iconic Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare map has returned with all the flanking routes and action-packed rooftop encounters you remember.
- Vacant (Multiplayer Map): An abandoned office, previously visited in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, leads to intense interior combat across the complex.
- Shipment (Multiplayer and Gunfight Map): The classic Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare map where fast and frenetic action reigns supreme.
- Port (Ground War Map): Battle across massive shipping crates, cranes, buildings and streets in this unique Ground War map experience.
- Cargo (Gunfight Map): An open-roof storage vessel for shipping containers, on docks of London.
- Atrium (Gunfight Map): The centerpiece of a Verdansk palace, still intact despite the conflict raging nearby.
- Additional Maps: Look for additional multiplayer maps as Season 1 progresses.
- Reinforce (Multiplayer Mode): A hybrid of Dom and S&D, a single-life mode with both teams competing for control of three flags.
- On Site Procurement (O.S.P.) (Gunfight Mode): A tactically rich 2v2 mode with a twist: Begin with just your fists, and gather equipment as the match progresses.
- Infected (Multiplayer Mode): It’s hunt or be hunted in this survival party game mode!
- Additional Modes: Look for more modes as Season 1 continues.
- Bomb Squad (Special Ops Experience): Forces still loyal to Barkov have planted explosives around the city of Al-Raab. You’re here to defuse the situation.
- Grounded (Special Ops Experience): Enemies have seized Barkov’s former airbase. Engage and eliminate them.
- Pitch Black (Special Ops Experience): Infiltrate Barkov’s former estate and recover all required intel before an exfill in a Tactical Rover.
- Just Reward (Special Ops Experience): Your squad targets the head of an enemy financial operation, hacking his data centers, and gaining intel.
- Additional Content: Look for more Special Ops content as Season 1 continues.
Modern Warfare Battle Pass
- Ram-7 New Weapon: Introducing a new fully automatic bullpup Assault Rifle with integrated picatinny rails at 3, 6, and 9 o’clock.
- Holger-26 New Weapon: LMG spec of the Holger model rifle, with integrated sight rail and drum magazine for additional ammunition-carrying capacity.
Call of Duty News
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.