Perks are on your character and your weapon, so don't sleep on customizing them.
Developer Infinity Ward changed a lot of about the Call of Duty franchise's established formula with the reboot of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. This year's installment adds new equipment to your loadout, offers new abilities like reloading while aiming down the sights of your gun, and presents new opportunities for strategic thinking thanks to its take on map design. It also makes some changes to how its weapons work in multiplayer, allowing you to add attachments to your guns that change how they handle.
Like past Call of Duty games, Modern Warfare includes a slate of "perks" you can add to your loadout that give you different abilities. Some will fill up your killstreaks a little faster, while others will make you tougher for enemy technology to spot you. But perks work a little differently in Modern Warfare. They're not just specific to your character loadout, they can also be added to your weapons, as well. Here's what you need to know about how perks work in Modern Warfare, and how to make the most of them.
Perks On Your Loadout
Your main group of perks come as part of your character loadout. As in past games, you get three of them, each with a different thematic drive. Some affect how fast you move or how quickly you can ready your weapons; others change how enemies can see you or how you're affected by their equipment. Combining the perks for different situations can help you make the game fit your playstyle and give you an edge against an opponent under the right circumstances.
Modern Warfare also lets you edit your loadouts mid-match, so you can make adjustments to your perk choices as the situation dictates. If your enemy is using a lot of UAVs, you can switch to a perk that makes you invisible to enemy radar, for example. In general, you don't want to just pick a set of perks and forget about them--try to adjust your perks to give yourself advantages and abilities to deal with whatever you're dealing with in a given match.
Modern Warfare Loadout Perks
- Double Time -- Double the duration of Tactical Sprint. Increase crouch movement by 30%
- E.O.D. -- Take reduced damage from non-killstreak explosives and fire. Hack enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, C4, and Trophy Systems.
- Overkill -- Carry two primary weapons (unlocks at Level 8).
- Scavenger -- Resupply ammo from dead players (unlocks at Level 18).
- Cold-Blooded -- Undetectable by AI targeting systems and thermal optics. Does not trigger High Alert (unlocks at Level 29).
- Quick Fix -- KIlling players, capturing objectives and holding objectives will increase your health regeneration rate (unlocks at Level 42).
- Restock -- Recharge equipment over 30 seconds.
- Hardline -- Killstreaks cost 1 less kill.
- High Alert -- Your vision pulses when enemies outside your view see you (unlocks at Level 11).
- Ghost -- Undetectable by UAVs, Radar Drones, and Heartbeat Sensors. Immune to snapshot grenades (unlocks at Level 24).
- Kill Chain -- Killstreak kills count toward your next killstreaks. Only applies to killstreaks earned this life (unlocks at Level 34).
- Pointman -- Turn your killstreaks into scorestreaks (unlocks at Level 49).
- Tune Up -- Reduces the charge time of field upgrades by 33%.
- Amped -- Faster weapon swap and rocket launcher reload speed.
- Shrapnel -- Spawn with an extra piece of lethal equipment. Explosive damage delays enemy health regeneration (unlocks at Level 13).
- Battle Hardened -- Reduces the strenth of enemy flash, stun, and EMP grenades (unlocks at Level 26).
- Spotter -- See enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Mark them for your team by aiming down sights (unlocks at Level 38).
- Tracker -- Enemies leave behind a footprint trail. See markers at enemy death locations and hide the death markers of enemies you kill (unlocks at level 51).
Perks On Your Guns
Modern Warfare uses a similar system to past Call of Duty games, in that you don't just level up your overall character to unlock new guns, equipment, and perks as you play, you also rank up your individual guns as you use them. Experience earned with a particular weapon unlocks new attachments for that gun, which can change the way it handles--a scope increases a weapon's range while making it heavier and therefore slower to wield, while a different stock might speed up how quickly you can move around while aiming.
Guns also have perks of their own you can unlock, independent from your loadout perks, and specific to each weapon. Unlike attachments, each of which has pros and cons when you add it to a weapon, perks are slight boosts to your weapon that can give you a particular edge. For instance, one perk gives your gun more bullet penetration, allowing you to do more damage to players you shoot through cover. Perks don't drastically change a weapon's capabilities or damage, but like attachments, they can change how a gun works to make it better fit your playstyle. You can add one perk to a gun, so you'll have to choose wisely--and adding a perk counts as an attachment, which means you'll have one less slot for things like magazines, barrel attachments, and sights.
Spend some time considering which perks work best with your playstyle on a particular weapon. As with loadout perks, you can change your gun attachments in your loadout at any time during a match, and that goes for your gun's perk, too. Adjusting to the situation is key to victory in Modern Warfare, and with perks on both your character and your weapons, you have a lot of customization options that, if used well, can help you excel over the opposition.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Best-Selling Games And Systems Of May 2021 Revealed (US)
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Quietly Gets New Maps In New Update
- Evolution of the M16 in Call of Duty
- It’s Time To Say Goodbye To Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Activision Sued Over Mara, A Female Call Of Duty Character Allegedly Based On Cade Janus
- Call Of Duty Is Down: Black Ops Cold War, Warzone, Modern Warfare Affected
- Call Of Duty Warzone's Story Wraps In New Unlockable Cutscene
- Battle.net Queue Times Estimate Up To Month-Long Wait To Play Games
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare/Warzone Season 6 Is Live, Patch Notes Revealed
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare/Warzone Season 6 Adds More PS4 Exclusive Content