Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Campaign Gameplay, Alpha Dates Revealed
In addition to new campaign gameplay shown during the PS5 Showcase, it was revealed that PS4 owners will get access to the multiplayer alpha this weekend.
During the September 2020 PlayStation 5 Showcase, Raven Software revealed more of what's to come in the campaign for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. In addition to an extended look at the campaign, it was announced that PS4 players will be able to play the multiplayer alpha for free this weekend.
In the livestream, creative director Dan Vondrak at Raven Software introduced the new gameplay footage. The campaign mission shown off was "Nowhere Left To Run," which takes place in an isolated airport runway in Turkey. We see returning characters Woods and Mason attempt to assassinate a high-priority target, but things don't go as planned (they never do in Call of Duty). During the ensuing battle, we see the familiar, COD-style gunfights and gadgets on full display. We even see the return of the fan-favorite RC-XD, which is used to disable an entire cargo plane.
While Treyarch will still be heading up Black Ops Cold War, the campaign is being handled by Raven, which served as a support developer for past games. This new gameplay is the most comprehensive look we've had of the campaign so far. You can watch the full presentation above.
In addition to the new gameplay, Vondrak revealed that PS4 users will be able to download and play the multiplayer alpha this weekend. Access will be free (with exceptions in Germany and Japan) and will run from September 18-20. You'll be able to pre-load the alpha beginning at 8 AM PT on September 17. This will be the first chance to play the Black Ops Cold War multiplayer early; there is a multiplayer beta scheduled for October.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is set to release on November 13, and it will come to Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC as well. See below for more news from the showcase, including the PlayStation 5 price and release date.
The previous Call of Duty: Black Ops title, Black Ops 4, did not feature a campaign, meaning that the last Black Ops campaign was in 2015's Black Ops III. Call of Duty: Warzone will also come to PS5 and Xbox Series X.
- Splitgate Will Have Forge Mode Before Halo Infinite, Dev Says
- Diablo 2 Resurrected's Remastered Cinematics Are Here And They're Incredible
- Diablo 2: Resurrected On Consoles Takes Cues From Diablo 3
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Cinematic Trailer Shows Off The Lord Of Terror Himself
- Destiny 2's New Trials Of Osiris Is Great, But Needs One Big Change
- Fortnite Season 8 Map Changes
- Fortnite Season 8 - New Weapons, Vaulted Weapons, And Unvaulted Weapons
- Fortnite Windwalker Echo Skin Is The Unreal Engine 5 Demo Character
- Fortnite: Where To Place Warning Signs - Season 7 Week 14 Quest
- Fortnite Season 7 Week 14 Challenges
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.