Borderlands Xbox One/PS4: Here's How To Transfer Your Saves
Gearbox publishes set of instructions for how to carry your existing Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel saves forward to The Handsome Collection.
Bringing Cyberpunk 2077 To Life The Most Disturbing Pokemon In The Pokedex Resident Evil: Project Resistance - Mastermind Gameplay Rick and Morty Season 4 Episode 2 “The Old Man and the Seat” Breakdown Pokemon Sword & Shield: What To Do When You Beat The Game PS5 Controller Patent Teases The Next DualShock - GS News Update New Half-Life Game Coming March 2020 - GS News Update The Stretchers | GameSpot Live Half Life Alyx - Official Gameplay Announcement Trailer Ready Or Not - Exclusive Behind-The-Scenes Video American Horror Story: The Best of Angela Bassett Death Stranding - Chapter 7 Walkthrough (No Commentary)
Ahead of Borderlands: The Handsome Collection's release next week, developer Gearbox Software has posted a detailed set of instructions for how to migrate your existing saves to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 game.
The Handsome Collection features remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. If you've played either of those games on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 (or PlayStation Vita for Borderlands 2), you will be able to move your saves to The Handsome Collection.
The one major catch is that you can only transfer saves within the same console family. This means, Xbox 360 to Xbox One is supported, but not Xbox 360 to PS4.
A PC version of The Handsome Collection has not been announced.
To bring your save forward to The Handsome Collection, you'll first need to download a patch for Borderlands 2 or The Pre-Sequel that enables cross-save functionality. This update should arrive later in the week.
After you've downloaded the patch, you need to follow the steps listed below, spelled out by Gearbox. If you're running into trouble, Gearbox recommends visiting its support site.
- Ensure all versions of the games are up to date with the latest patch (old-gen and new-gen) and you are connected to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.
- From the main menu of the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of BL2 or BL:TPS, choose the “Cross Save” (PlayStation consoles) or “Cloud Save” (Xbox consoles), then “Upload Save” function.
- Once the save has been uploaded, choose “Cross Save” or “Cloud Save” then “Download Save” from the main menu of the PS4 / Xbox One Handsome Collection game for which you’re downloading the save.
IMPORTANT: Only one save may be uploaded at a time. If you have multiple saves to transfer, upload one save, then download it in the Handsome Collection, then repeat the process for successive saves.
- The Xbox family of systems can only move saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox One and not the other way around.
- The PlayStation family of systems can upload / download saves from any system to any other PlayStation system. Think of PS3 / PS4 / PSV as a triangle, and saves can move in any direction (Vita saves are only applicable to BL2 and not BL:TPS).
- Uploading a save does not remove it from the original system, it only creates a copy of the save on the network.
- Players will need the day 1 patch for the Handsome Collection in order to download saves.
- Players will also need the most recent patch installed for PS3 / Xbox 360 in order to upload saves.
When you transfer your save, here’s what comes along with it:
- Character level and all mission progress
- Badass Points (all of these will transfer, but you’ll get to re-spend them)
- Backpack inventory
- Weapon slots
- Cash and Eridum/Moonstones
- All unlocked character customizations (heads/skins) ***note that customizations obtained from Telltale's Poker Night 2 will be added in a patch following launch***
- Items stored in the bank in Sanctuary
Note that items stored in Claptrap's Secret Stash in Borderlands 2 will NOT transfer along with your save, so be sure to move anything you can't live without to the bank. Trophies and Achievements will also not transfer over and will need to be re-earned.
Your Golden Key balance will also not transfer. However, as a reward for playing Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, all players will receive the following bonuses upon signing into SHiFT in The Handsome Collection for the first time:
- 75 Golden Keys
- A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
- Bonus character customizations
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
- 75 Golden Keys
- A healthy chunk of Badass Rank
- Bonus unique weapons and character customizations
Note: These bonus Badass points can only be earned once and are redeemed instantly upon entering the game. We recommend using the Cross/Cloud Save functionality prior to starting a game in The Handsome Collection to transfer over your account’s Badass Rank. This will ensure that bonus Rank is awarded in addition to existing Badass Rank.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com