Big Switch Update For Doom Adds New Motion Controls And More
A new party system was also added to multiplayer.
We'll begin emailing you updates about %gameName%.
Bethesda has rolled out a new update for the Nintendo Switch version of Doom. Along with a few bug fixes and performance improvements, patch 1.1.1 introduces a couple of new features to the acclaimed first-person shooter, including a "much-requested" option for motion controls.
Following the update, players now have the ability to play Doom with gyroscope aiming. As you can see in the short clip below, courtesy of Bethesda's official website, the new control method lets players tilt the console around to aim, allowing for more precision than with the control stick alone. Sensitivity can be further adjusted from the in-game menu.
In addition to motion controls, the new update adds a party system to Doom's multiplayer mode, making it easier for players to form groups and play with those on their friends list. Bethesda has also updated Doom's Switch icon, bringing it in line with the game's box art. Finally, the update increases the average resolution "in lower-res areas of the game" and addresses a handful of bugs, including one that could cause the game to crash when using the BFG.
You can read the full patch notes for the new Doom update below or on Bethesda's website. Doom originally released for PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2016, with the Nintendo Switch version arriving last November. GameSpot's Peter Brown called the Switch release "an impressive port that begs you to consider gameplay over graphics," in our Doom Switch review.
Doom Nintendo Switch Version 1.1.1 Patch Notes
- Motion Aiming -- New control scheme option allows you to tilt the Nintendo Switch for more precise aiming
- Multiplayer Parties -- Added new party system, making it easier to group up and play with your friends in multiplayer
- Updated Game Icon -- Game icon now matches the Doom for Nintendo Switch boxart
- Increased the average resolution in lower-res areas of the game
- Implemented CPU optimizations
- Added Traditional Chinese language support
- Fixed an issue that resulted in a possible crash when using the BFG
- Fixed an issue that caused audio issues while playing
- Fixed an issue that caused stretched textures to appear in multiplayer
- Fixed an issue where controls became unresponsive on the game menu
- Fixed an issue where players may have incorrectly received a ban notice in multiplayer