Big in Japan Nov. 9-15: J-League Pro Soccer Club
Sega dethrones Winning Eleven with its own footie sim for the PSP; Sony's portable, PS3 nearly tie at top of hardware chart.
Konami's World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 internationally) opened big in Japan for the week of November 2-8, shifting some 217,000 units. One week later, and a new soccer game has worked its way to the top of Media Create's weekly sales chart; this one with a decidedly Japanese bent. For the week of November 9-15, Sega's J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 6: Pride of J on the PSP scored big with 84,966 units sold.
Beyond J-League, the mid-November week had a number of charting debuts. Namco Bandai scored with Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, as the PlayStation 3 edition secured third with 57,972. Square Enix's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers for the Wii, which is due in North America on December 26, opened in eighth with 35,412 units sold. Capcom's Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star on the DS debuted in ninth with 22,744 copies.
Meanwhile, Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver continued its strong sales run on the DS, landing in second with 62,744 units. Tomodachi Collection, Wii Fit Plus, World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010, and Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard reprised their positions on Media Create's chart, landing in fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh, respectively. Persona 3 Portable for the PSP rounded out the week's list in 10th with an additional 17,360 units sold.
A heated race ensued for top hardware platform for the week, as the PSP's 38,770 tally just edged out the PS3's 38,498 units sold. The DSi finished the week with 33,749 units sold, while the Wii shifted 26,764 systems. Sony's compact PSP Go sold 6,427 units, while the DS Lite shifted 5,036 units. The Xbox 360 maintained its plodding pace with 4,124 units on the week, while Sony's workhorse PlayStation 2 shifted 2,031 systems.
JAPAN GAME SALES WEEK OF NOVEMBER 9-15, 2009
Rank / Title / Publisher / Platform / Unit sales
1) J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 6: Pride of J / Sega / PSP - 84,966
2) Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver / Nintendo / DS - 62,744
3) Dragon Ball: Raging Blast / Namco Bandai / PS3 - 57,972
4) Tomodachi Collection / Nintendo / DS - 56,391
5) Wii Fit Plus / Nintendo / Wii - 53,257
6) World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 / Konami / PS3 - 49,129
7) Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard / Level 5 / DS - 37,190
8) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers / Square Enix / Wii - 35,412
9) Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star / Capcom / DS - 22,744
10) Persona 3 Portable / Atlus / PSP - 17,360
PSP - 38,770
PS3 - 38,498
DSi - 33,749
Wii - 26,764
PSP Go - 6,427
DS Lite - 5,036
Xbox 360 - 4,124
PS2 - 2,031
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com