Big in Japan Jan 23-29: Armored Core V, Resident Evil: Revelations
From Software's mech combat sequel and Capcom's 3DS survival horror title top software sellers as PS Vita sees slight sales boost and 3DS easily tops hardware chart.
The week of January 23 to January 29 was a good one for Japanese gamers, with new Armored Core and Resident Evil sequels and a PlayStation Vita remake of a Tales role-playing game title. Placing first on the recent Media Creates chart update was Armored Core V for the PlayStation 3, with 163,906 units sold. Just below the mecha-piloting simulator was Resident Evil Revelations for the 3DS, with 146,559 units sold.
Armored Core V features five-on-five team-based online battles on a persistent world map, in addition to the series' trademark mech customization options. For more information on the game, check out GameSpot's recent coverage of the title.
The PlayStation Vita title Tales of Innocence R, a remake of the 2007 DS title, was in third place on the charts with 54,853 units sold. The game uses the Dimension Stride Linear Motion Battle combat system, where players can move around the field in 3D and use skills in midair. The game also has touch-screen controls that allow players to activate special attacks and party commands on the fly.
Other highlights of the chart include Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter 3G, which are still clinging onto the top five; the former sold 29,230 units for the week, while the latter added 27,032 units to its sales total. The Xbox 360 version of Armored Core V also made its debut in sixth place, with 24,719 units sold.
On the hardware side, the PS Vita saw a boost in sales as it placed third on the charts. Sony sold 18,942 units of the device, just above the PSP, which sold 16,008 units. The 3DS was still the top-selling console of the week, with 84,789 units sold, followed by the PS3, with 22,924 units sold.
JAPAN GAME SALES WEEK OF JANUARY 23-29
1. Armored Core V / Namco Bandai / PS3 / 163,906
2. Resident Evil: Revelations / Capcom / 3DS / 146,559
3. Tales of Innocence R / Namco Bandai / PS Vita / 54,853
4. Mario Kart 7 / Nintendo / 3DS / 29,230
5. Monster Hunter 3G / Capcom / 3DS / 27,032
6. Armored Core V / Namco Bandai / Xbox 360 / 24,719
7. Super Mario 3D Land / Nintendo /3DS / 23,003
8. Idolmaster Anime & G4U Pack Vol. 4 / Namco Bandai / PS3 / 18,179
9. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure / Sega / 3DS / 14,928
10. Inazuma Eleven Go / Level-5 / 3DS / 10,479
3DS – 84,789
PS3 – 22,924
PS Vita – 18,942
PSP – 16,008
Wii – 10,396
Xbox 360 – 1,235
DSi XL – 1,180
DSi – 738
PS2 – 713