Big in Japan August 13-19: New Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendo strikes software top spot again with 2D platformer; 3DS XL on top of weekly hardware sales.
Nintendo seem to be dominating the top sales spots during Japan's summer break period. According to the recent Media Create sales update, the number one game for the week of August 13 to August 19 was New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS.
The game sold 152,026 units. Critics praised the title for its levels and controls, but panned it for its reliance on retreading glories of past Mario titles. For more information on the title, check out GameSpot's review.
The other Nintendo titles securing second and third place were Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 for the DS and Dragon Quest X, respectively. The former titles sold 55,787 units, while the latter Wii RPG sold 45,470 units. There were no new titles debuting in the top 10 for the previous week.
On the hardware front, both versions of the 3DS were the top-selling consoles for the week. The 3DS XL was at 66,412 units, while the 3DS was at 45,445 units; the total combined is 111,857. The PS3 was at 16,277 units, while the Wii was at 15,640 units.
Top Japan Game Sales of August 13 to August 19
Rank / Title / Publisher / Platform / Units
1. New Super Mario Bros. 2 / Nintendo / 3DS / 148,225
2. Pokemon Black, Pokemon White 2 / Nintendo, Pokemon / DS / 62,274
3. Dragon Quest X / Square Enix / Wii / 47,065
4. Just Dance Wii 2 / Nintendo / Wii / 23,231
5. Brain Age 3DS / Nintendo / 3DS /20,372
6. Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi no Orb / Namco Bandai / 3DS / 18,825
7. Wii Sports Resort / Nintendo / Wii / 15,682
8. Run for Money: Flee From The Strongest Hunters in History / Namco Bandai / 3DS / 13,836
9. Kirby's Dream Collection / Nintendo / Wii / 13,067
10. Kobito Zukan Kobito Kansatsu Set / Columbia / 3DS / 12,646
3DS XL - 66,412
3DS - 45,445
PS3 - 16,277
Wii - 15,640
PSP - 13,285
PS Vita - 11,298
PS2 - 1,433
DSi XL - 1,187
DSi - 1,069
Xbox 360 - 978
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com