The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Best VPN For 2021: Streaming Region-Locked TV Shows And Movies
If you're stuck at home, these VPNs can help you stream content from other countries or simply mask your browsing history from prying eyes.
There are tons of great reasons to use a Virtual Private Network, or VPN, server right now. Being able to connect to a VPN server and hide your IP address through encryption has a lot of security benefits, but it's also a great way to access streaming content, like TV shows and movies, that is otherwise only available to users in certain regions. There are multiple good reasons to circumvent your service provider using a VPN client--I even use one to look at other region's prices for GameSpot's deals coverage.
If you're stuck inside during these trying times, you may be looking at another country's available movies and TV shows on your favorite streaming platform. The BBC iPlayer is a good example of a service you'd want to use it for, and some services, like Hulu, Netflix, or other streaming apps have different shows depending on your region (many international folks use VPNs to access American Netflix). If you're wondering how you can watch them using that new unlimited bandwidth you ordered for staying in and catching up on shows across all your streaming platforms, a safe, secure VPN connection is the answer. So it's worth it to look for the best VPN for streaming.
Now, there are a ton of free VPN options out there for video streaming, but I wouldn't recommend any of them. It can be hard to tell which ones are actually of good quality (free usually doesn't get you the fastest VPN, after all), and even harder to know if any of them are monitoring, using, and/or selling your personal information or slowing your connection speed, as well as what their logging policy is. Some even start throttling your connection speeds. My suggestion is to avoid a free VPN. But what is the best VPN for streaming?
Thankfully, there are a number of affordable and great VPN providers out there to hide your internet connection, all of which have been tested and verified by us or our sister site CNET. We've selected a handful that we trust, like ExpressVPN and NordVPN, and included their best deal, but if you're looking for even more options, be sure to check out CNET's guide to the best VPN service for 2020.
Quick look: The best VPN for streaming for 2020
- ExpressVPN -- $6.67/month on a 1-year plan + 3 free months
- IPVanish VPN -- $6/month; $39 per year
- Hotspot Shield -- $3/month on a 3-year plan
- NordVPN -- $3.71/month on a 3-year plan
- PureVPN -- $1.32/month on a 5-year plan after 7-day trial
More Tech Picks From GameSpot
- The Best 4K TVs For PS5 And Xbox Series X
- Best PC Gaming Headset Of 2021: HyperX, SteelSeries, And More
- Best HOTAS Flight Sim Sticks For Star Wars Squadrons And More
- The Best Nintendo Switch Controllers You Can Buy
- Best Project xCloud Controller: Elite-Style Controllers, Retro Pads, And More
- The Best VR Headsets In 2020
- Best Webcams 2020: Top Picks For Streaming On Twitch And YouTube
- Best Streaming Accessories 2020: How To Start Streaming On Twitch, YouTube, And More