Batman's War On Crime Goes Global In New "The World" Anthology Collection
Batman: The World will feature stories from creative teams across the globe as they create tales that take place in their home countries.
Batman's war on crime has largely been kept within the borders of Gotham City, but this September will see the Dark Knight go global in Batman: The World.
Unlike older globe-trotting events that had a familiar international taste such as Batman Incorporated or Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert's current Batman: The Dark Knight mini-series, Batman: The World will feature creative teams across the globe creating short stories that take place in their home countries.
Writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo, who previously collaborated on Batman: Damned and Joker, will kick off the 184-page anthology and set Batman on an international crime-fighting path.
"In the story titled Global City, Batman reflects on his time in Gotham, protecting his city and its inhabitants from all manner of threats," DC's synopsis reads. "But when he looks beyond the bridges, alleys, and skyscrapers, the Dark Knight realizes that the call for justice knows no borders, as there are wrongs to be righted everywhere."
Joining Azzarello and Bermejo are the following creative teams:
- Mathieu Gabella (writer)/Thierry Martin (artist) – France
- Paco Roca (writer/artist) – Spain
- Alessandro Bilotta (writer)/Nicola Mari (artist) – Italy
- Benjamin von Eckartsberg (writer)/Thomas von Kummant (artist) – Germany
- Stepan Kopriva (writer)/Michal Suchánek (artist) – Czech Republic
- Tomasz Kolodziejczak (writer)/Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson (artists) – Poland
- Ertan Ergil (writer)/Ethem Onur Bilgiç (artist) – Turkey
- Alberto Chimal (writer)/Rulo Valdés (artist) – Mexico
- Carlos Estefan (writer)/Pedro Mauro (Artist) – Brazil
- Inpyo Jeon (writer)/Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi (artists) – Korea)
- Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong (writers)/Qiu Kun, Yi Nan (artists) – China
- Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov (writers)/Natalia Zaidova (artist) – Russia
- Okadaya Yuichi (writer/artist) - Japan
On top of all that, each international version of Batman: The World will also feature its own unique cover art by the local creative team, which you can see in the gallery below:
Batman: The World International Cover Gallery
There's a lot more Batman content on the horizon, as the regular comics will soon see longtime nemesis Scarecrow send Gotham City straight to hell in the Fear City event that will end with a new status quo for Batman and his allies. There's even a Batman crossover happening right now, as the crimefighter is currently exploring the world of Fortnite in Zero Point.
If you'd prefer to watch a new Batman adventure, the world's greatest detective is finally getting a new solo animated series titled Batman: Caped Crusader, which features the creative team of JJ Abrams, Bruce Timm, and Matt Reeves.