Baldur's Gate 3 - How To Save Mayrina From Auntie Ethel
Rescue Mayrina from the clutches of Auntie Ethel in Baldur's Gate 3.
Baldur's Gate 3 has numerous quests that you can tackle. One of these takes place in the Putrid Bog, which also happens to lead to a rather weird instance. Our guide discusses how you can save Mayrina in Baldur's Gate 3 by defeating a monster named Auntie Ethel.
How to Save Mayrina From Auntie Ethel in Baldur's Gate 3
The Baldur's Gate 3 Save Mayrina quest starts as you approach the Putrid Bog. To get there, head west from the Druid Grove, then go south after crossing the stone bridge that leads to the Blighted Village.
As you go down the hilly slope, you'll see two men accosting an old lady from the Druid Grove. They want her to reveal the location of their sister. If you admonish the men, you have to fight them. If you scold the old lady, she'll teleport away. Keep heading southwest until you see a waypoint, as well as the Gnarled Treehouse building.
Dilemma: Tell Mayrina About Her Brothers or Keep Quiet
Upon entering the Gnarled Treehouse, you'll see Mayrina. You have a choice to make here:
- Tell her about her brothers - Auntie Ethel will not like it. She'll turn into her true form, that of a hag, before turning invisible and running off with Mayrina. You'll have to fight a couple of Redcap Goblins in the area. After the bout, you can follow them by passing through the fireplace in her house (more on this later).
- Don't tell her about her brothers - Ethel will teleport Mayrina away. Then, if you tell her about the tadpole parasite in your brain, she says that she might be able to help.
Dilemma: Let Auntie Ethel cure the parasite
You can either attack Ethel, refuse the offer, or allow her to perform her swamp witch sorcery. If you go through with it, she'll pluck out one of your character's eyeballs. This gives you the Hag-Eye status permanently. It gives you +1 to Intimidation checks, but -1 to Perception checks. Worse, your character won't be able to land critical hits anymore. You also receive Auntie Ethel's Charm, which grants all the boons from the Enhance Ability spell until your next long rest.
The Gallery and the Masks
If you were hostile to Ethel, you can follow her by going through the fireplace. This leads to the next portion of the Baldur's Gate 3 Save Mayrina quest. Here's the gist:
- The Entrance Gallery is where Ethel displays her past victims. If you pass the skill check upon interacting with the tree wall that has a face, you'll realize that it's an illusion, and you can pass through it.
- In the next area, you have to defeat four Masked Victims. Do not wear the masks in the previous room or Ethel will mind control your characters during this fight.
- The next section has several vines, as well as poisonous gas. At the bottom, you'll find Mayrina and Ethel.
- Before you head down, though, you can look at the upper-left section. There's a ledge that you can reach. If one character wears a mask, your party will be able to go through the illusory tree wall. The teleporter in this room leads to the Underdark.
How to defeat Auntie Ethel and save Mayrina
At the bottom of the tree vine pit, you'll notice that Mayrina is inside a cage. Don't approach her yet because a boss fight will be triggered. Instead, you'll want to reposition your party in the following manner:
- Gale should be on his own (ungrouped) along the right-hand side. He should also have the Magic Missiles spell.
- Three other party members, preferably those that can attack in melee, should be at the left-hand side.
Begin the fight by moving Gale forward. This will cause Auntie Ethel to appear and burn Mayrina's cage. It will get destroyed after a few turns, so you need to be quick.
Moreover, Ethel will summon three clones before teleporting to one side of the chamber. Because Gale moved along the right-hand side, she'll go to the left side, which is closer to your other characters. Gale can simply target all the clones with Magic Missile, as a single projectile is enough to kill them.
The rest of your party can just burst down the hag. If you think you don't have a lot of time, Gale can also press the button along the northern part of the chamber to free the captive. This will help you save Mayrina in Baldur's Gate 3.
Dilemma: The Reward or the Girl
When the fight is over, Auntie Ethel offers another proposal: she'll give you a unique reward, but you have to let her keep the girl. Save your game here. Pick the Intimidation option (you have to make an Intimidation 15 roll to succeed). Doing so causes her to give up Mayrina, while also handing you Auntie Ethel's Hair. This is a one-time use item that gives +1 to any attribute of your choosing.
Dilemma: The Wand and the Zombie
Finally, check out the small room in the base of the arena. Inside, you'll find the Staff of Crones, as well as the Bitter Divorce wand, which has the name of Mayrina's husband. Use the portal to go back outside, where you'll see Mayrina in front of her husband's grave.
If you use the wand on the grave, her husband will be raised from the dead as a zombie. You also have the option to give Mayrina the wand, allowing her to find a cure for her husband's "predicament." The game also tells you that she's heading to Baldur's Gate, so you might see her again once you reach the city.
And that's it: that's everything you need to know about the Save Mayrina quest in Baldur's Gate 3. Don't forget the portal in Auntie Ethel's lair, especially when you need to head to the Underdark later in the campaign.
Baldur's Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You'll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.