Baldur's Gate 3 Patch Pulled After Breaking Save Games
Although a save game wipe is planned when the game eventually launches, the first patch for Baldur's Gate 3 accidentally started that early.
Baldur's Gate III is in early access to allow for developer Larian Studios to experiment with balancing and new content, but even it didn't plan on accidentally resetting player saves this early into the process.
Since launch, Larian has made it clear that the final version of Baldur's Gate III will reset any progress you've made in the early access version, but the game's first big patch inadvertently began that process early. It didn't take long for players to start realizing that they couldn't boot up previous saves, forcing Larian to pull the patch entirely to investigate.
"We've reverted to the previous build while we solve the save issue experienced by some players," Larian wrote on Twitter. "This should mean players who lost access to saves can now merrily continue on the older version again. We'll redeploy the patch when fixed!"
Baldur's Gate III isn't expected to reach 1.0 status for at least a year (and probably even longer), at which point Larian will force you to wipe your saves. The game might change drastically by that point, however, giving you a clean slate to play the intended final vision for the CRPG.
While Larian works on resolving the save issues, you can read through the patch notes that were published when the update initially went live. They might change when redeployed, but the broad strokes should remain the same. Don't forget to also check out this Baldur's Gate 3 death heat map, which reveals where players have been dying the most in-game.
Baldur's Gate III - Patch 1 Notes
- Added polish and bug fixes to several in-game cinematics, such as Shadow Heart recruitment, Astarion recruitment and Volo's Poem. (These will be ongoing throughout EA).
- Added minor text tweaks to various bits and bobs.
- Altered certain dialogue choices for different NPCs.
- Added extra combat tutorial messages to better explain the basics (let us know how you get on).
- Astarion no longer thinks Lae'zel inspected you at camp when she is not in your party. Quite rightly.
- Fixed a crash related to having the level up screen open while in a dialog.
- Fixed a crash related to dropping items from inventory.
- Fixed a rare crash that could happen at the start of combat.
- Fixed a possible blocking issue when using the transponder at the end of the tutorial twice.
- Fixed black screen issue when ending tutorial if the transponder was used by any character that is not the main player avatar.
- Fixed a possible blocking issue when reassigning characters to others players while in combat.
- Fixed an issue with lip sync not working correctly.
- Fixed several localization issues.
- Fixed combat UI not updating correctly when someone joined during combat.
- Fixed party shared gold and items not always working in dialog checks.
- Fixed summons from NPC’s getting stuck in combat.
- Fixed levelled up characters having duplicated racial and class features.
- Fixed not being able to level up to level 4 on a Zariel Tiefling Cleric of Light due to cantrip selection.
- Fixed text cut-off issues in several interfaces.
- Fixed party members getting stuck trying to open doors they run past.
- Fixed listening in to dialogs getting stuck in multiplayer, also causing players not being able to save.
- Fixed camp button being broken after closing the camp window with escape key.
- Fixed "end the day" multiplayer message being broken if a player closed it with an escape key.
- Fixed certain quests not having map markers.
- Fixed certain secret entrances incorrectly showing up on the map.
- Fixed incorrect player portraits in the lobby screen as more people joined.
- Fixed Cambion wings and Tiefling tail animations.
- Fixed map not centering correctly on player characters in smaller subregions.
- Fixed health values not being synced correctly to the Baldur's Gate 3 twitch extension.
- Fixed superiority die not showing actual values when using abilities such as Menacing attack.
- Fixed minor issues with hair, skinning and textures on several models.
- Fixed lighting issue in owlbear cave.
- Fixed not being able to walk over corpses.
- Tweaked ragdolls to reduce the possibility of models exploding (or glitching. Idk how to explain it, but it’s spooky).
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.