Baldur's Gate 3 - How To Recruit Jaheira
Here's how you can get Jaheira as a companion in Baldur's Gate 3.
You can recruit many companions in Baldur's Gate 3. One in particular, Jaheira, is a treat for long-time fans of the series, as she appeared in a previous game. You have a chance to meet her again during your adventures, but be forewarned since there are strict requirements if you want to keep her alive. Our guide discusses how you can recruit Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3, as well as potential mishaps that you might encounter due to bad choices. Likewise, please be reminded that this guide contains spoilers.
How to Recruit Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3
The Baldur's Gate 3 Jaheira recruitment option happens toward the end of Act 2, just after your party defeats Ketheric Thorm in Moonrise Towers. Be forewarned that this is a time-consuming process, since there are several quests that you need to tackle.
Where to Meet Jaheira
You meet the Druid, Jaheira, early in Act 2. You can find her in the Shadow-Cursed Lands, where she's guarding Last Light Inn. There are a couple of branches that lead you to it:
- If you take the Underdark/Grymforge route, you'll meet the Harpers, and they'll eventually take you to Last Light Inn.
- If you take the overland route through the Mountain pass, you'll meet Kar'niss the Drider. He'll take you directly to Moonrise Towers, so you have to explore north to find Last Light Inn.
- Alternatively, you can betray Kar'niss during the ambush so you can side with the Harpers, though this is also tougher fight since you won't be well-prepared.
Jaheira's Recruitment in Moonrise Towers
Now that you've met Jaheira, it bears mentioning that it's going to take you a while before you can officially recruit her. It involves completing several main quests in the Shadow-Cursed Lands, such as finding a means of protecting yourself from the curse, infiltrating Moonrise Towers, delving deeper into the Gauntlet of Shar, and interacting with the Nightsong.
Once you're ready to assault Moonrise Towers, Jaheira will be waiting for you near the waypoint. Here, you have two options:
- She can lead her army of Harpers as their commander, which means she'll act as an NPC unit.
- You can convince her to team up with you, which makes her a temporary follower. We suggest going this route, since you'll be able to control her during the fight.
Note that you can't fast travel out of this dungeon. You have to head back outside, near the waypoint, before you can fast travel again. Moreover, Jaheira will stay in the ground floor, and you need to talk to her if you want her back in your squad.
The first floor of the tower is filled with enemies, including those that drop Soul Coins and Mind Flayer Parasite Specimens. Since Jaheira is a Druid, she'll have Thorn Whip and Ice Storm. The latter is quite useful, since it can damage multiple enemies and knock them prone while they're moving.
Next, once you climb to the top of the tower, be ready to face Ketheric Thorm. After bringing him down to roughly 30% HP, he'll run away and hide in the pits below the tower. You need to follow him.
Just as you're about to jump down, speak to Jaheira and say: "Face Kethric with me." You'll finally be able to have her as a full-fledged party member. But, be forewarned that you won't be able to replace her with someone else at this specific moment (the dialogue option simply won't be there). Instead, you have to continue onward to defeat Ketheric Thorm. That's the only time you'll regain the dialogue option to remove her from your active party. And, yes, this is the long-winded process on how to recruit Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3.
Jaheira's Potential Deaths
As we mentioned earlier in our Baldur's Gate 3 Jaheira recruitment guide, it's not enough that you beat Ketheric Thorm. You also need to make the right decisions to keep Jaheira alive for the entirety of Act 2. Here are some of the most important storyline segments:
- Keep the Cleric Isobel alive when the monsters invade Last Light Inn. Her loss would remove the protective barriers that ward off the Shadow Curse. Everyone in the vicinity will turn into cursed husks, and you have to fight them.
- If you picked the Dark Urge origin, you have the option to murder Isobel. Don't do this since Jaheira would know of your deed. Even after defeating all the hostiles, Jaheira will attack you, and you have no choice but to kill her.
- When interacting with the Nightsong, you must prevent Shadowheart from killing her. This, too, will remove the protective barrier, even if Isobel is still alive. Jaheira will die off-screen.
- During the assault on Moonrise Towers, make sure that she's a follower and not an AI-controlled NPC. The latter is very risky, since she could get killed by several enemies.
Jaheira as a Party Member
What can you expect from Jaheira as a party member? Well, she's a Druid, much like Halsin, though she has the Soldier background. She will reset back to level 1 once she joins your squad, but she'll match your main character's XP for level ups. Moreover, the game's systems are quite flexible enough, including class respecs. Because of this function, you can change her to a Fighter, Ranger, or something else that you prefer.
And this is all you need to know about how to recruit Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 3. Later in Act 3, you can do the objectives for her companion quest, The High Harper. Your journey leads you to meet her old comrade, Minsc, who's not himself lately. You can learn more in our Minsc recruitment guide.
Baldur's Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You'll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.