Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Release Window, Trailer, Story, And More
Here's what you need to know about the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla for PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Ubisoft officially unveiled Assassin's Creed Valhalla with a debut trailer, following a teaser stream that unveiled the viking setting a day before. The official reveal has provided details on the new Assassin's Creed's protagonist, story, release platforms, and some pre-order details, and we got our first look at the game running on an Xbox Series X during Microsoft's Inside Xbox presentation on May 7. It was one of the first next-gen gameplay demonstrations we've seen thus far, and the game's cross-generational release model is similar to what Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag did in 2013.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is developed by Ubisoft Montreal, with support from Ubisoft Sofia, Ubisoft Singapore, Ubisoft Montpellier Ubisoft Barcelona, Ubisoft Kyiv, Ubisoft Bordeaux, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Chengdu, Ubisoft Philippines, Ubisoft Quebec, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Pune. Additional help was also provided by Sperasoft.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Screenshots, Trailer, And Story
The game casts players as Eivor, a "fierce Viking raider raised on tales of battle and glory." Eivor, who can be customized as either a man or a woman, leads a group of Norsemen that have been driven from Norway by "endless wars and dwindling resources in the ninth century CE."
Their journey sees them crossing the North Sea and traveling to England, where players must "carve out a new future for their clan, reliving the ruthless fighting style of Viking warriors with a revamped combat system that includes the ability to dual-wield weapons against a greater variety of enemies than ever before."
"With little resources at their disposal, players can lead raids to any promising location they see from the waterfront using their longship to earn much-needed riches and resources," Ubisoft explains in a press release. "As the Vikings begin to settle in their new home, they encounter resistance from the Saxons, including King Aelfred of Wessex, who denounces them as heathens and looks to be the sole ruler of a civilized England. Against all odds, Eivor must do what is necessary to keep Valhalla within reach."
Creative director Ashraf Ismail added: "We can’t wait for players to experience the incredible Viking journey ahead of them. Being in Eivor’s boots as both a Viking raider and a clan leader, players will face the conflicts of establishing a new home in the midst of a power struggle for control of England."
This large-scale adventure is what Ismail has specialized in for years. He previously served as game director for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed Origins. However, Assassin's Creed Valhalla will not be the biggest or longest game in the franchise to date. The decision to limit the map size was made as a result of past criticism, as Origins and Odyssey both feature enormous maps.
Watch the full Assassin's Creed Valhalla reveal trailer for yourself.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Release Date Window And Platforms
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is set to release in Holiday 2020 for Xbox Series X, PS5, Xbox One, PS4, Stadia, and on PC exclusively through The Epic Games Store. It will also be available as part of the UPlay+ subscription service. Multiple versions of the game will be available to purchase. You can find a list of them, along with what they include, below.
The first gameplay for Assassin's Creed Valhalla was shown on Xbox Series X during Microsoft's May 7 Xbox showcase presentation. However, it did not contain substantial gameplay footage, instead giving us a look at several scenarios and the game running in-engine.
Assassin's Creed Special Edition Pre-Orders
Additionally, the Gold, Ultimate and Collector’s editions of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla were announced along with Ubicollectibles products. Check out the list below or hit up our Assassin's Creed Valhalla pre-order guide for more on each edition and their bonuses.
- Gold Edition: The Gold Edition will include the base game and the Season Pass.
- Ultimate Edition: The Ultimate Edition will include the base game, the Season Pass and the Ultimate Pack, giving players access to exclusive customization content: the Berserker Gear Pack, the Berserker Settlement Pack, and the Berserker Longship Pack, along with a Set of Runes to improve weapons or gear.
- Collector's Edition: The Collector's Edition will include the base game, the Season Pass, the Ultimate Pack, a high-end Ubicollectibles replica of Eivor and her longship (30 cm high), a Collector's Case, a SteelBook with unique artwork, a numbered certificate of authenticity, a Viking Statuette of Eivor with his raven and Dane axe (5 cm high), exclusive lithographs as well as a selected soundtrack of the game. The Collector's Edition is available exclusively from the Ubisoft Store.
- The stand-alone Ubicollectibles products will include the Eivor Wolf-Kissed Figurine and his Hidden Blade Replica.
For more on the game, read our in-depth interview with Assassin's Creed Valhalla's narrative director and check out the debut trailer breakdown by the developers themselves.
Assassin's Creed News & Announcements
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla Has Four Different Editions You Can Pre-Order Soon
- Watch The Assassin's Creed Valhalla Trailer Right Now
- First Assassin's Creed Valhalla Details: Screenshots, Story, Platforms, And More
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla Lets You Play As A Man Or A Woman
- Next Assassin's Creed Game Is Called Valhalla--Set In The Viking Age
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org