April Fools' 2015 Video Game Joke Roundup
Here are some of the best video game pranks on the Internet today.
April Fools' Day, the one day of the year when you can't trust anything you read on the Internet. While a lot of companies embrace the ridiculousness of the holiday, there are just as many places that are going to try and trick you. To help separate fact from fiction, we're rounding up the best April Fools' jokes we find. This post will be updated throughout the day as more join in on the fun.
Found something interesting? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know and we may include it in this roundup. Be safe out there! After all, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Play Pac-Man on Google Maps
Google yet again supplied an excellent April Fools' Day prank this year. Simply press the "Pac-Man" button on Google Maps and play a game of Pac-Man on the street outside your home or workplace. Office productivity is sure to take a serious hit.
Dying Light Superpowers All Day Long:
Play zombie game Dying Light today, April 1, and you'll receive a series of super-powers. Looks like the joke is on you, zombies! To obtain super-human strength, among other things, all you need to do is pick up a supply drop that contains a mutated form of Antizin.
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, but with Dogs
Developed for the Barktendo 1DOGS system, Capcom announced the next entry in the Ace Attorney series. This time, it has dogs.
WayForward's Next Game: You Are The Winner! Go You!
WayForward makes some pretty challenging platforming games, so their April Fools' joke is all about taking it easy. You play as "Gunster Megaboom, a mercenary from the 37th century sent back in time to stop time-travelers from preventing the apocalypse. Gunster is a danger-loving weapons expert, with a soft spot for latte foam art, who plays by NO ONE'S rules!"
But to make a game that's more accessible for everyone, from age 2 to 104, You Are the Winner uses "WayForward's innovative new 'PlayForMe' technology, which enables gamers of literally any age and skill level to succeed. PlayForMe automatically collects coins, avoids obstacles, and defeats enemies and bosses before they ever get close."
Street Fighter Player Daigo "The Beast" Umehara Retires From Pro-Gaming to Become Pro Accountant
Currently holder of the Guinness World Record as "longest paid professional gamer," Daigo Umehara is well known for his prowess in fighting game Street Fighter. He is perhaps best known for his comeback at Evo 2004. Now, he will become a professional accountant.
Heroes of the Storm Gets a "Big Head" Mode
One of Blizzard's pranks this year is a "Big Head" mode for its MOBA, Heroes of the Storm. "Variety is the spice of life in Heroes of the Storm, and we're always looking for new ways to allow players to customize their Heroes and infuse their personalities into the denizens of the Nexus. Big Head Mode is just another step in that direction," Blizzard writes. Amazing. Read more here.
Dating App Tinder Comes to World of Warcraft?
Kind of. As part of Blizzard's April Fools' Day festivities, the developer announced plans to roll out a new World of Warcraft Garrison feature called the T.I.N.D.R. Box, designed to help your Followers fall in love. Just because you're stuck on Draenor fighting a constant, desperate battle for survival doesn't mean there isn't time for love." Read more about it here.
Terrible Sunset Overdrive Achievement
Available now in the Xbox One game is a new achievement called "Worst Job in the Kingdom." You can unlock the 200-Gamerscore achievement by replaying and completing the "Floating Garbage" mission in under 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Fake Zombie Dancing Game Shows Hitler Busting a Move
Zombie Army developer Rebellion has the announced the next "EVIL-ution of dance games." If you've ever wanted to see Hitler bust a move with a team of backup zombie dancers, now is your chance.
Top New Games Coming Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- May 19-25 2019 Who Are The Kaiju (Titans) In Godzilla: King of the Monsters? GOG Galaxy 2.0 Could Be the Only PC Client You'll Need Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - Expand Trailer Fortnite: Week 3's Secret Battle Star Location Walkthrough (Season 9 Utopia Challenges) Playdate Is A New Handheld Video Game Console - GS News Update Google Stadia Price, Games, And Release Info Coming This Summer - GS News Update How Alien Changed Sci-Fi Movies Forever | Alien 40th Anniversary Game Of Thrones: What If Bran Stark Was Evil All Along? First 19 Minutes of Nioh 2 Closed Alpha Gameplay Sonic The Hedgehog Movie Delayed As Sonic Gets A Redesign - GS Universe News Update Heart Aino Joins BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle | GameSpot Community Fridays
War Thunder Releases New Tanks
For the third straight year, Russian developer Gaijin Entertainment has created an April Fools' Day prank for its free-to-play game War Thunder. This year, however, the studio appears to have outdone itself, creating elaborate backstories for two special, epic-looking tanks (ST-1 and SPS-255), each of which is playable in the game right now. Check out the video above to see them in action.
Curse has announced the latest (totally bogus and hilarious) revision to its voice platform. "Take Hearthstone to the next level! Curse Voice World-Trans technology--the latest on our list of great features!" the company writes. We won't spoil the surprise for you. Check out the video above.
Indie developer Fatshark has announced a new--totally fake--mode for its upcoming Warhammer game End Times: Vermintide. It's called Hammertime. It turns the American baseball formula on its head, with players going up against hordes of rat-like Skaven creatures to "perform acts of ultra cheese shredding violence as they bash the skulls of the oncoming onslaught of Skaven." Watch the trailer above to see it in action.
Steam-Powered Gaming Console
From the funny folks at ThinkGeek comes this hilarious parody of Valve's Steam Machines. This one actually runs on Steam, or so the fake product announcement would have you believe.
Razer's Project McFly
The latest innovation in computer mouse technology has arrived, it's just too bad that it's totally fake. From Razer comes "Project McFly," an advanced, hovering mouse. Check it out in the video above.
Guild Wars 2: ????
Don't even know what to say here. Crazy things are happening today inside the world of Guild Wars 2. Check out the video above to see the game's new visual presentation and more.
Tanks on the Moon:
Wargaming is launching a new, limited-time only "Lunar" mode and custom map--Moon River--for World of Tanks on console. From April 3-5, players can battle it out on the Moon, complete with low gravity and more. See a trailer for the content above.
World of Tanks Operation Undead:
Wargaming's second April Fools' Day surprise is a free World of Tanks tower defense game where you fight off zombies. It's actually pretty fun. Play the game in your browser right here.
Wouldn't this be great? An iPhone can that can blend in with your surroundings? Watch the video above to see the (totally bogus) product in action.
Destiny Dance Party
Just head to your "Legend" page on Bungie.net to see your Guardian bust a move. Funny stuff, Bungie!
Fake World of Warcraft Patch Notes:
New Master Looting Options
- To alleviate social issues related to the Master Looter functionality, we've expanded the option to offer four distinct choices:
- Master Looter
- Submissive Looter
- As the Submissive Looter, you'll sign a contract with your raid allowing you to explore your boss-killing desires safely, with due respect and regard for one's needs, one's limits, and one's well-being.
- Per the contract, you'll be given whatever loot the rest of the raid decides you get, and say thank you. Raid members can decide whether they like the gear you're already wearing and, if not, demand that you disenchant it.
- A new Safe Word option can be set through your Battle.net account settings that immediately ends the raid upon entering it into chat.
- Passive Aggressive Looter
- The Raid Leader agrees to divvy up loot more or less fairly, but will make catty comments about how this raid group will give loot to "just anyone."
- Note: This setting will also auto-whisper raid members as they join that if they don't like it, they can lead their own raid.
- No different than Master Looter, but everyone keeps asking for it, so here you go. Knock yourselves out.
- Master Looter
Warcraft: The Movie: The Game: The Movie
- In a world with noble warriors, spirit healers, and arcane powers, a movie industry is brewing. Catch your favorite Warcraft characters acting as other Warcraft characters in a fictional world within a fictional world in Warcraft: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.
- In addition to the items you forgot to pick up, the Postmaster will now mail you special offers on great deals from various vendors around Azeroth.
- As an addition to the recent account-wide ignore feature, the game will now also present a series of flashes and symbols to make you forget the ignored player ever existed. We promise not to use this for any other reason, as far as you know.
- To curb confusion over whether to call them Undead or Forsaken, Sylvanas's faction is now simply referred to as Walkers.
- We accidentally put the Dance Studio back in the game for a little while, but it's been removed again. That was a close one.
- Twitter integration now has a 50% increased chance of making you feel out of touch with whatever the hell kids are doing these days.
- Patches will now be given titles that are more appropriate for today's internet audience, beginning with Patch 6.2: Conquer the Iron Horde Using This One Weird Old Trick.
- All active World of Warcraft subscribers are now also game design interns. Please be sure to use the correct cover sheets for your DPS reports. Also, we're gonna need you to come in on Saturday, mm'kay?
- Stormwind Park
- [editor's note: Remember to do something with this.]
- We've checked on the members of the band Fun, and they are alive and well despite forum claims to the contrary.
- The Hybrid Tax has been reworked and is now a Hybrid Rebate, providing state funded incentives and cash back at participating dealerships on approved credit.
- These patch notes were written by lead game designers, producers, engineers, and artists, instead of having them work on important new changes and features.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com