Apex Legends Hits Big Milestones Within Hours Of Release
The battle royale game has hit the ground running.
Apex Legends, the new battle royale game just announces and released by the makers of Titanfall, is off to a fast start. Studio head Vince Zampella announced that the game reached 1 million unique players in under eight hours. Zampella said he is "so overwhelmed" by the news. [Update: In a conference call with investors on Tuesday, just a day after release, EA now says the game has reached 2.5 million unique players and has seen 600,000 concurrent players.]
"Thank you so much for showing up and being part of this with Respawn you are amazing!!" Zampella said with a celebratory image.
Apex Legends, which is set in the Titanfall universe but doesn't feature the franchise's trademark Titans or wall-running, was announced and released today, February 4, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. On the subject of wall-running, Zampella said it "wasn't as fun and balanced." But he did tease that Respawn will "try new stuff" as the game's life goes on.
I’m so overwhelmed right now, @PlayApex broke a million unique players in under 8 hours. ❤️❤️❤️— Vince Zampella (@VinceZampella) February 5, 2019
Thank you so much for showing up and being part of this with @Respawn you are amazing!! pic.twitter.com/lvNgfwwKhl
Apex Legends will use the games-as-a-service model through which Respawn will continue to update, grow, and improve the game over time. The game will have a Fortnite-style battle pass with seasons' worth of content to unlock over time.
For more on Apex Legends, check out GameSpot's stories below.
- Apex Legends Character Rundown; Special Abilities And More Explained
- Apex Legends Has A Battle Pass That's Just Like Fortnite's
- Apex Legends Microtransactions: Prices, Skins, Battle Pass, And More
- Titanfall 3 Is Not In Development, Respawn Confirms As It Launches Apex Legends
- Apex Legends First Gameplay Impressions: Respawn's Biggest Innovation Is Making Teamwork Easier
- Respawn's Apex Legends Has Loot Boxes -- How Monetization Works
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.