Apex Legends Hits Big Milestones Within Hours Of Release
The battle royale game has hit the ground running.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Apex Legends, the new battle royale game just announces and released by the makers of Titanfall, is off to a fast start. Studio head Vince Zampella announced that the game reached 1 million unique players in under eight hours. Zampella said he is "so overwhelmed" by the news. [Update: In a conference call with investors on Tuesday, just a day after release, EA now says the game has reached 2.5 million unique players and has seen 600,000 concurrent players.]
"Thank you so much for showing up and being part of this with Respawn you are amazing!!" Zampella said with a celebratory image.
Apex Legends, which is set in the Titanfall universe but doesn't feature the franchise's trademark Titans or wall-running, was announced and released today, February 4, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. On the subject of wall-running, Zampella said it "wasn't as fun and balanced." But he did tease that Respawn will "try new stuff" as the game's life goes on.
I’m so overwhelmed right now, @PlayApex broke a million unique players in under 8 hours. ❤️❤️❤️— Vince Zampella (@VinceZampella) February 5, 2019
Thank you so much for showing up and being part of this with @Respawn you are amazing!! pic.twitter.com/lvNgfwwKhl
Apex Legends will use the games-as-a-service model through which Respawn will continue to update, grow, and improve the game over time. The game will have a Fortnite-style battle pass with seasons' worth of content to unlock over time.
For more on Apex Legends, check out GameSpot's stories below.
- Apex Legends Character Rundown; Special Abilities And More Explained
- Apex Legends Has A Battle Pass That's Just Like Fortnite's
- Apex Legends Microtransactions: Prices, Skins, Battle Pass, And More
- Titanfall 3 Is Not In Development, Respawn Confirms As It Launches Apex Legends
- Apex Legends First Gameplay Impressions: Respawn's Biggest Innovation Is Making Teamwork Easier
- Respawn's Apex Legends Has Loot Boxes -- How Monetization Works
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org