Alien Star Would Be "Surprised" if Fifth Movie Didn't Happen, Has "Amazing" Script
"It'll be worth the wait."
The status of Alien 5 has been uncertain for several months. The direct sequel to the ongoing sci-fi horror franchise was originally set for a 2017 release, with District 9's Neill Blomkamp directing. But the decision of Ridley Scott to move forward with his sequel to 2012's Prometheus--as well as giving it the title Alien: Covenant--meant that Blomkamp's film was put on hold late last year. However, star Sigourney Weaver has revealed that she still believes the movie will happen.
During a Q&A for the tech giant VMWare, Weaver was asked about the status of the project. "Well, I think it is [happening]," she said, via AggressiveComix. "Ridley asked Neill not to make our Alien til after Prometheus 2. [Scott] wanted his movie to shoot and be released first. But it's an amazing script, and Neill and I are really excited about doing it.
"We're doing other things until we can get going on that. I'd be really surprised if we didn't do it, because it's such a great script, and we love working together. So, it's just going to take a little bit longer to get out to you, but it'll be worth the wait."
If it happens, both Weaver and her Aliens co-star Michael Biehn are expected to return for the movie. Last year Blomkamp released various pieces of concept art featuring both actors, plus images of a pulse rifle design intended for the movie.
Alien: Covenant is currently shooting in Australia and New Zealand. Last year Scott revealed that the film would feature all the versions of the franchise's famous creatures. "There was always this discussion: Is Alien, the character, the beast, played out or not? We'll have them all: egg, facehugger, chestburster, then the big boy. I think maybe we can go another round or two," he told The Wrap.
Alien: Covenant is set for release on October 6, 2017.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com