So can we pretty much conclude that Gearbox is a 1 hit wonder?

#1 Posted by edt89 (93 posts) -

Seriously.  I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with Nukem (which I didn't play) because that was not their project and had a storied history.  Aliens :CM however I have been following for something like 4 years in anticipation and for it to be getting such awful reviews is shocking. Luckily I also didn't purchase CM because after DNukem and the repeated delays on CM I started to get a bit suspicious.

So is it safe to say Gearbox can do Borderlands well and nothing else?

#2 Posted by Ilikemyname420 (5147 posts) -

The Brothers in Arms games were good.  If anything it seems like if you let them do their own thing the games are good, but get them to make anything based off of something and it'll be awful. :/

#3 Posted by Shadow128 (628 posts) -

Gearbox outsourced almost everything about this game, so I'm not sure if I can really credit them as the developer. They seem to be involved only for marketing and to plaster a studio name that many gamers are famiiar with on the product.

Apparently there is plenty of controversy over Borderlands as well over stolen assets, ideas, art style, etc. Gearbox's development tactics just seem to be shady overall; I liked Borderlands, but I would not pust much trust in this company.

#4 Posted by mbkgen (25 posts) -

Gearbox has made some really good games in the past but i will have to agree aliens CM is such a disappointment. For a game that took years to develop, its really sad to see doing so bad.

Unfortunately i did buy it and that means i have to bear the crappy game and complete it because otherwise it just feels like a waste of my money if it isn't already.

#5 Posted by Raxyman (872 posts) -
DNF is not bad, not as much as they've said it was. And they've done DNF in a year, the twelve years thing was for another developer, when Gearbox bought the franchise they released the game in less than a year of development, IMHO i think they did a simple game to kill the hype quickly, now the next DN game everybody will think "wow, another crappy one" and they'll be surprised that it isn't... As for the one hit wonder. Do your research. They are responsible for Halo: Combat Evolved, not Bungie. Also HL Blue Shift and Opposing Force. And the Brothers in Arms series too. So they ARE a good studio. Besides, GS have just announced that the SP part of the game wasn't made by Gearbox, they've only made the MP. So... No. Gearbox is not a 1 hit wonder. Whether it's a good company or not it's everyone own opinion.
#6 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
If everyone slams this like DNF, then maybe it's not that bad..DNF was fun,no where near as bad as they made out.
#7 Posted by edt89 (93 posts) -
LOL wtf are you talking about? Gearbox is not responsible for Halo in any way. They ported Combat Evolved...that's it. And it was an average port at best from what I hear. Furthermore I pointed out that Gearbox wasn't to blame for Nukem so you sound like you're rambling. Plus...to absolve them of all wrongdoing is a bit absurd because it's not like they handled the property properly once they released it...they either released it as it was with little to no input, or they created a horrible game and released it in the span of a couple years. Neither one of the above options are indicative of agreeable behavior. Finally you mention the Half Life expansion....which is just that. An expansion. Maybe you should do a little research into what qualifies as a 1 hit wonder because Gearbox is starting to fit the criteria.
#8 Posted by Diamondsoulz (136 posts) -

No way they might of not hit it out of the ballpark with this game or Borderlands 2 but there is a big fan base.

I knew this game wasn't going to what it was meant to be just by the footage on youtube.

#9 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

LOL wtf are you talking about? Gearbox is not responsible for Halo in any way. They ported Combat Evolved...that's it. And it was an average port at best from what I hear. Furthermore I pointed out that Gearbox wasn't to blame for Nukem so you sound like you're rambling. Plus...to absolve them of all wrongdoing is a bit absurd because it's not like they handled the property properly once they released it...they either released it as it was with little to no input, or they created a horrible game and released it in the span of a couple years. Neither one of the above options are indicative of agreeable behavior. Finally you mention the Half Life expansion....which is just that. An expansion. Maybe you should do a little research into what qualifies as a 1 hit wonder because Gearbox is starting to fit the criteria.edt89
I hate Randy Pitchford. I really really do, and I am not a fan of Borderlands or the most recent Brothers in Arms game, but both are very successful franchises from Gearbox. BIA has 3 games to its name, and Borderlands has 2. So you could say Gearbox is a 5 hit wonder, or a 2 hit wonder (just including the franchises), but not really a 1-hit wonder.

#10 Posted by edt89 (93 posts) -
Only one of the BIA games was within the current console generation. I don't know how good or bad it was because I haven't played the series since the first one, which I'll admit was a good game. But that's like saying "hey Rare USED to make all these great games, they're such a great developer!" when for the last 10 years Rare's track record has been avatars and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. People are ignoring the point of my thread...stop focusing on the whole 1 hit wonder thing it was just a way to grab attention. The real issue I'm bringing up is whether or not Gearbox is still a developer you can put your faith in. There's a ton of new information coming out about how the game was outsourced and blah blah blah but where was this info months (hell, YEARS ago) when it would have mattered? Why was Gearbox and Pitchford plastering themselves all over the product? It just seems like the Borderlands series is a an anomaly within the overall context of their record as a quality (or lack thereof) developer.
#11 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

Only one of the BIA games was within the current console generation. I don't know how good or bad it was because I haven't played the series since the first one, which I'll admit was a good game. But that's like saying "hey Rare USED to make all these great games, they're such a great developer!" when for the last 10 years Rare's track record has been avatars and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. People are ignoring the point of my thread...stop focusing on the whole 1 hit wonder thing it was just a way to grab attention. The real issue I'm bringing up is whether or not Gearbox is still a developer you can put your faith in. There's a ton of new information coming out about how the game was outsourced and blah blah blah but where was this info months (hell, YEARS ago) when it would have mattered? Why was Gearbox and Pitchford plastering themselves all over the product? It just seems like the Borderlands series is a an anomaly within the overall context of their record as a quality (or lack thereof) developer.edt89
Ignoring the whole 1-hit wonder thing, I agree.

I hate Randy Pitchford and I do not trust Gearbox. At all. Most of my hatred towards Gearbox, however, is a byproduct of my hatred towards Randy. He is manipulative and fake to the core.

Just compare the way he promoted BIA: Hells Highway to the way he promoted Duke Nukem Forever. When promoting Hell's Highway, he acted like a shy history buff obsessed with small historical details. When promoting DNF, he acted like this huge douchebag and wore tight tee-shirts. He was like a completely different person.

And now he is promoting Aliens, and acting like some humbled fan of the films, again obsessed with small detais. "That's Bishop's bottom half! look! LOOK!! LOOK HOW COOL I AM!" Yeah, Randy. Cool. Too bad Bishop's bottom half most likely got sucked out into space.

#12 Posted by drswank (943 posts) -

Gearbox outsourced almost everything about this game, so I'm not sure if I can really credit them as the developer. They seem to be involved only for marketing and to plaster a studio name that many gamers are famiiar with on the product.

Apparently there is plenty of controversy over Borderlands as well over stolen assets, ideas, art style, etc. Gearbox's development tactics just seem to be shady overall; I liked Borderlands, but I would not pust much trust in this company.

Shadow128
I never heard about stolen assets/ideas with Borderlands. What's your source on this?
#13 Posted by Shadow128 (628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shadow128"]

drswank

I never heard about stolen assets/ideas with Borderlands. What's your source on this?

You may remember that Borderlands changed its art style around 2009, only to base it off of Codehunters, a 2006 short film.

One of the animators who worked on the film was contacted by Gearbox to work on a project but was later told that the project was scrapped; then later he saw his art style being used in Borderlands. Randy said later that the game was "inspired" by the film, but not until he was confronted by the larger media crowd, since Gearbox never returned the calls or e-mails from Ben Hibon.

They also used some of Olly Moss's actual work for Borderlands 2 without any permission.

There are some more little things as well, Google around a bit and I'm sure things will pop up.

#14 Posted by edt89 (93 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/news/did-aliens-colonial-marines-suffer-because-of-borderlands-6403830

Sounds more and more like Gearbox just dicked around for 6 years with this project.

From the way that article describes it...Sega seems to have been under the full impression that Gearbox was doing much, MUCH more of the work than they actually were.  Gearbox seems to have weaseled their way out of it by convincing Sega to allow them to outsource parts of the game and via multiple deadline extensions.  If Sega actually didn't know about Gearbox outsourcing up to like 75% of the game they should sue the hell out of them. 

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
#15 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

Borderlands and Brothers of Arms are both top notch games in my opinon, so I wouldn't call them a one hit wonder. I'd even argue that the orginal half-life expansion they made were quality games as well.

This is an embarassment to say the least for gearbox, esp making a game for a well known franchise like aliens.

This took me by complete surprise, I assumed since gearbox is in charge of this, we might have our first aliens game that is well recieved by critics.

#17 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (341 posts) -

Gearbox never did Halo Combat Evolved????? Thry only ported the PC version.