Air combat simulator which impresses in some aspects but lacks in others.

User Rating: 7 | Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere PS
The third installment of the Ace Combat series keeps with the tradition of simulation style air combat combined with an arcade style scoring system. I thought that the graphics were surprisingly impressive as they include a lot of detail in the planes and there are also some interesting wind effects. The ground units and buildings however didn't look nearly as impressive. The sound aspect was a bit lacking as well though it didn't ruin the experience for me. Also this game is quite lacking in a story providing only minimal context of two warring corporations in a power struggle.

The game itself is simple enough at first though I believe that a game like this appeals to more of a hardcore gamer crowd than your typical flight combat game. There are lots of different planes and weapons to unlock for use though you will have to invest many hours of practice and hone your skills in order to experience the most powerful ones. There is a pretty lengthy campaign mode that spans over 30 missions that have varied objectives including pesky escort missions and maneuver training sessions. The game eases you into the tougher sections with a steady difficulty ramp.

All in all I had a lot of fun blowing things up. I'd recommend this game to fans of simulation style combat and have enough patience to hone your skills for unlocking some of the cooler content.