ASUS to announce the next ROG Ally tomorrow (5/9) Update: ROG Ally X announced!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45330 Posts

damn, that was quick. Looking forward to the reveal! who else is hyped?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70032 Posts

Meanwhile, mine is out for repair.😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39441 Posts

Still gonna run games at medium low setting in low resolution and only get 60fps on non demanding titles. Mobile gaming has potential, but just like with VR, we are far from it being viable.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Quite interested in seeing what they show off. The explosion in this sector of gaming has me quite intrigued. Keep my eye on all that’s going on and look forward to jumping in when I feel the time is right.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Archangel3371: a portable device to use your GamePass on!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Of course and just games in general.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

Nice and new Xbox Portable 😎

Upgrade every year and you do not wait long time for new fast GPU graphics 🏆 Xbox Won

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: question is, when will steam announce theirs? It's amazing that the steam deck has been out for 3 years now.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9583 Posts

@hardwenzen: I'm playing Caliber at 120fps on high settings. It's docked and hooked up to my TV and I'm using a dual sense controller.

There have been a lot of updates since it released. What they have done with it since it's inception is amazing. When I first got the Ally it struggled to play some games at all, and now it manages to play just about anything at a minimum of 30 fps... although of course I haven't tried everything.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WitIsWisdom

I might just have to get one and give my first Ally to one of my kids. I have loved mine since the day I got it. I've been playing it a lot recently and it's pretty clear that devices like these are the future. Consoles and PCs will be married soon.. right now they're still just fooling around, but it's been fun to see the rapid growth and changing industry.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@WitIsWisdom said:

@hardwenzen: I'm playing Caliber at 120fps on high settings. It's docked and hooked up to my TV and I'm using a dual sense controller.

There have been a lot of updates since it released. What they have done with it since it's inception is amazing. When I first got the Ally it struggled to play some games at all, and now it manages to play just about anything at a minimum of 30 fps... although of course I haven't tried everything.

I don't even know what Caliber is, so obviously not a demanding game, one that even the switch could most likely handle. Those games aren't important. What's important is to have great performance on ALL new AA and AAA titles.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 959 Posts

Love my Ally...but I am not getting excited for it. Lot of what I seen on the internet it will be just a refresh of the current model. Hopefully I'm wrong.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11805 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Still gonna run games at medium low setting in low resolution and only get 60fps on non demanding titles. Mobile gaming has potential, but just like with VR, we are far from it being viable.

screenshots taken from my Legion go which has the same chipset as the ROG Ally. All the games here are at least high settings.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@NoodleFighter: This isn't saying anything. All i am seeing is pictures in ultra low resolution. If they're running at PS4 settings in 2024, that's not exactly what i'd like to waste my time on.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter

@Black96Z said:

Love my Ally...but I am not getting excited for it. Lot of what I seen on the internet it will be just a refresh of the current model. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The upcoming mobile AMD strix point could at the very least give new Ally a big improvement in battery life similar to the Steam Deck OLED and its LCD counterpart.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NoodleFighter

@hardwenzen: I had to downsize the resolution of some screenshots to meet file size limit. Also on an 8.8" screen these resolutions are perfectly fine. Anything above 1080p is overkill. I tried using 1600p a couple of times in games just to see how it would look and the difference between it and 1200p was very hard to see and not worth the performance drops. You are also forgetting all the upscaling tech that is available on PC. For example with Days Gone I used Radeon Super Resolution to scale the game from 800p to 1600p and it looks way better than native 800p would without any noticeable performance costs. My Legion Go is definitely playing some of these games at settings better than the PS4.

Digital Foundry has a video on handhelds like mine running current gen AAA games like Horizon Forbidden West and A Plague Tale Requiem.

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@NoodleFighter said:

@hardwenzen: I had to downsize the resolution of some screenshots to meet file size limit. Also on an 8.8" screen these resolutions are perfectly fine. Anything above 1080p is overkill. I tried using 1600p a couple of times in games just to see how it would look and the difference between it and 1200p was very hard to see and not worth the performance drops. You are also forgetting all the upscaling tech that is available on PC. For example with Days Gone I used Radeon Super Resolution to scale the game from 800p to 1600p and it looks way better than native 800p would without any noticeable performance costs. My Legion Go is definitely playing some of these games at settings better than the PS4.

Digital Foundry has a video on handhelds like mine running current gen AAA games like Horizon Forbidden West and A Plague Tale Requiem.

Loading Video...

These are very poor performances. The only games that can get you good results are low demanding indie titlels and extremely well optimized games like both Doom titles, Horizon series, etc.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@SolidGame_basic: question is, when will steam announce theirs? It's amazing that the steam deck has been out for 3 years now.

Remember reading somewhere that they aren't doing a new one until substantial enough upgrade in specs is possible

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

Love my Ally, but I don't see a reason to upgrade just yet. Already upgraded my desktop PC this year (save for the graphcis card).

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@hardwenzen: Just because you haven't heard of a game doesn't mean it's not good. I play just about everything and I'm sure I've played dozens of games you've never heard of over the years, but that's irrelevant. Caliber is probably my favorite 3rd person shooter since SOCOM. It's an online pvp 4v4 tactical shooter with around 100 operators to unlock. It's still in early access and has been for 3 or 4 years. Plans include bringing it to console and the controller update added 2 or 3 months ago was a huge step in the right direction. Also, I would imagine the Switch would have an extremely difficult time running the game. No the Ally won't run AAA games at 4k 60-120 but most of the games I play on it or my 85 inch tv look fantastic. I didn't get it to play the most graphically intensive games in the first place.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46496 Posts

@Pedro: what kind of games do you play on your PC handheld? Don’t tell me gamepass :D

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hardwenzen
@Maroxad said:

Love my Ally, but I don't see a reason to upgrade just yet. Already upgraded my desktop PC this year (save for the graphcis card).

Doesn't upgrade the most important part, which tells me that your other components were even older😆Such a gamer that cares about performance😁

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: I generally use it for testing game performance for games in development. The last commercial game I played was FFVII Remake.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro: I see, I'm confident though that 90% of gamers use their steam deck for testing purposes. Ahaha.

I find it a lot harder to dedicate myself to a handheld game than one behind the telly or monitor.

See that's why I love DS and PSP so much, and the handhelds before that: they had shorter more arcade-like experiences well suited to the style of gaming you do on the go.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic  Online
Loading Video...

Two more hours!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Pedro: I see, I'm confident though that 90% of gamers use their steam deck for testing purposes. Ahaha.

I find it a lot harder to dedicate myself to a handheld game than one behind the telly or monitor.

See that's why I love DS and PSP so much, and the handhelds before that: they had shorter more arcade-like experiences well suited to the style of gaming you do on the go.

Well, it is a handheld PC so you can have shorter more arcade like experiences if you want. That is the appeal, flexibility.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Remember reading somewhere that they aren't doing a new one until substantial enough upgrade in specs is possible

thats fair. Maybe after the switch 2 launches...it might be a strategic thing for valve also.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

Absolute waste of time. Announcement for announcement.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro: this is why I always wait for the second announcement.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic  Online

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

When is it going to be viable?

I started portable gaming with Tiger Electronics and, later, the OG Gameboy. Where those not viable?

I'm still amazed I can play Baulder's Gate on the phone (I don't). Hell, it still amazes me I can take a phone call in the middle of a wilderness hike.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

No OLED screen is meh.

It’s gonna be a bit before we see spec bumps. The Switch 2 is looking like it will be between PS4 Pro and Series S (before DLSS). We are gonna wanna wait a year or so for a bigger bump at a $800ish price tag for the handheld PCs.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WitIsWisdom

I'll either wait for Ally 2 or get a mini PC.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 br0kenrabbit
Loading Video...

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

Horrible. The handheld market is going the way of phones. A new model released every month. And y'all keep feeding into it...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

Came here to post the gamer nexus vid, and its already posted. **** Asus.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 br0kenrabbit

@hardwenzen said:

I just built my brother a $3,000 PC based around an Asus Mobo, 7800X3D and Asus 7900XTX OC. Really, really wish I had heard of all this trouble with Asus before hand. Oh, well, it all works well, for now.

Too bad. Asus was my go-to brand. Looks like I'll have to reconsider that. So what else is good? MSI?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@br0kenrabbit said:
@hardwenzen said:

I just built my brother a $3,000 PC based around an Asus Mobo, 7800X3D and Asus 7900XTX OC. Really, really wish I had heard of all this trouble with Asus before hand. Oh, well, it all works well, for now.

Too bad. Asus was my go-to brand. Looks like I'll have to reconsider that. So what else is good? MSI?

I am on MSI, yea. But i wish EVGA stopped f'ing around and came back, maybe with AMD this time around.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@hardwenzen said:

I am on MSI, yea. But i wish EVGA stopped f'ing around and came back, maybe with AMD this time around.

I used to use Gigabyte (dual BIOS k thanx) until all their boards suffered from that Capacitor Plague and they wouldn't replace/repair because they were out of warranty.

**** Gigabyte.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

My Ally is supposedly on its way back from repair.🫰🏽

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Black96Z

Hope I never have any issues with mine. It os now my goto device. Just bought a PSPlay license so I can play my PS games on it. Kinda wish I didn't buy the PSPortal now that PSPlay is available on Windows.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22841 Posts

@Pedro said:

Meanwhile, mine is out for repair.😂

What happened to it?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@TheEroica said:

What happened to it?

It would not power on.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

What happened to it?

It would not power on.

😳 Yikes! Hopeful fit as a fiddle now!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@TheEroica: Hopefully. I should get it this week.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro said:

@TheEroica: Hopefully. I should get it this week.

How was ROG with the repair process? Did it cost you? Warrenty? Customer service?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@TheEroica: It was painless. I didn't share the same issues as Nexus.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Black96Z

Some ROG Ally X leaks here. Priced at $799 US.

https://wccftech.com/asus-rog-ally-x-handheld-price-799-us-packs-amd-ryzen-z1-extreme-apu-1-tb-ssd/