PlayStation names its new CEOs! Update: Corporate Strategy Meeting scheduled for May 23rd!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

Hermen Hulst and Hideaki Nishino will jointly succeed Jim Ryan as the CEOs of Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Hulst is CEO of the newly named Studio Business Group, which includes all of PlayStation’s first-party teams, plus covers the development of PlayStation IP onto other mediums, such as TV and film. Hulst was already head of PlayStation Studios. He was previously the co-founder of Horizon and Killzone developer Guerrilla Games, which was acquired by Sony in 2005.

Sony backtracks on Helldivers 2 PSN log-in requirement

Read more on GamesIndustry.biz

"I am thrilled to lead the studio business group and continue to build on our success with PlayStation 5, while preparing for the future,” Hulst said in a statement. “The video game industry is one of the largest entertainment industries in the world and has been built on the marriage of content and technology, and I look forward to continuing to push the boundaries of play and entertainment.”

Hideaki Nishino will lead the Platform Business Group, which includes console hardware, technology, accessories, PlayStation Network and third-party relations (covering major publishers and indie studios). He was already SVP of Platform Experiences. He’s been part of the Sony business since 2006, holding numerous roles at Sony Network Entertainment, Sony Corporation and SIE.

"We will continue to connect players and creators through world-class products, services, and technology," Nishino said. "We always strive to grow our community even bigger with innovation in every area at Sony Interactive Entertainment.”

"I am honored to be appointed such an important role alongside Hermen. By working more closely together, we will be positioned to build incredible experiences for an ever-expanding audience now and in the future."

Both leaders will report to Sony Interactive Entertainment chairman Hiroki Totoki, who has been acting CEO of the division since Jim Ryan stepped down from the role at the end of March. Totoki is also president, COO and CFO of Sony Group Corporation. The latest changes will take effect from June 1st.

PlayStation's Shuhei Yoshida and Greg Rice to keynote Develop:Brighton 2024

“Sony Interactive Entertainment is a dynamic and growing business that delivers incredible entertainment experiences through the connection of content and technology," Totoki said. "These two leaders will have clear responsibilities and will manage strategic direction to ensure the focus remains on deepening engagement with existing PlayStation users and expanding experiences to new audiences."

The fact both new CEOs are established PlayStation veterans is in-keeping with Sony’s approach of promoting from within. However, the decision to have two leaders is not something the business has done before and reflects the growing size and scale of the division.

That’s right, two CEOs! Thoughts, SW? Are you excited for the next chapter in PlayStation? Have no idea who Nishino is, will add more info when I get it. But Hermen Hulst has done great things (Guerilla Games - creators of Killzone and Horizon Zero Dawn). So I’m excited for that.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1279 Posts

microsoft should take notes 😆

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11256 Posts

@pclover1980 said:

microsoft should take notes 😆

They wanted to but forgot they fired the notetaker

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12355 Posts

Dang, I didn't have two people replacing Jimbo on my bingo card.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44481 Posts

Unless one of them is Kevin Butler then I don’t care.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22884 Posts

Just what the world needs.... More ceo's. It's like being excited for wasps building a nest under your deck.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20184 Posts

Hermen was obvious. Hopefully he green lights a new Killzone game. Otherwise, I don't care. Just get the games rolling.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70245 Posts

Hopefully they can squeeze out a game this year.🤭

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50647 Posts

Yay?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Upgrade from the last parasite, but said parasite destroyed everything, and we're 2-3 years away from games, so its grim, real grim.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7347 Posts

Twice the oversight means twice the fun.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen: that parasite gave you Demon’s Souls remake

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: that parasite gave you Demon’s Souls remake

Yoshida gave me the game, not that fat car salesman.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56353 Posts

We'll see how this plays out.

Hulst has proven himself in the past to be a good leader steering Guerrilla Games from Killzone to Horizon with the Decima engine showing them its worth using for Horizon games as well as in Kojima's Death Stranding. (Having full support of Guerrilla Games along the way so good on this one)

Hulst has a good resume with PlayStation Studios for a good while now and we've gotten great 1st-party games as well as 3rd-party games under his belt. Hulst is a strong good choice over Jim Ryan.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1279 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Just what the world needs.... More ceo's. It's like being excited for wasps building a nest under your deck.

You're right. More suits to satisfy is a bad idea.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11256 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Hermen was obvious. Hopefully he green lights a new Killzone game. Otherwise, I don't care. Just get the games rolling.

Exactly. They're just execs. We expect them to do a good job, not to pretend to be our friends and constantly lie to us to gain cult status

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6632 Posts

So Sony are trying to cut gaming budgets but double ceo's pay packets, makes sense.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2616 Posts

At least Hulst has a decent track record at the developer level. Hes not just a business guy. Nishino has been around since ‘06 which is also a good sign. But then again I haven’t liked the PlayStation brand since the PS2, so these PS3 era dudes aren’t gonna sway me in any way.

Let’s see where this goes I guess. It can’t get much worse…

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts

I've never gotten the praise for Hulst. Killzone had some ok entries, and Horizon just sucks. Guerrilla is good at graphics and tech, but their games don't have 'it'.

I don't know who the other dude is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9737 Posts

This is quite a surprise. They named 2 CEOs instead of 1.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

They are going to layout their plan for the inevitable day one pc launches.😊

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2486 Posts

I have been informed that Hulst was the main force behind the closure of Japan Studio. **** him.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 6190 Posts

Short term plans milk cows

Medium term. Plans milk cows

Long term plans milk cows

Anyone could do that job :)

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1185 Posts

Vastly better than those shitheads at MS

@SolidGame_basic said:

Hermen Hulst and Hideaki Nishino will jointly succeed Jim Ryan as the CEOs of Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Hulst is CEO of the newly named Studio Business Group, which includes all of PlayStation’s first-party teams, plus covers the development of PlayStation IP onto other mediums, such as TV and film. Hulst was already head of PlayStation Studios. He was previously the co-founder of Horizon and Killzone developer Guerrilla Games, which was acquired by Sony in 2005.

"I am thrilled to lead the studio business group and continue to build on our success with PlayStation 5, while preparing for the future,” Hulst said in a statement. “The video game industry is one of the largest entertainment industries in the world and has been built on the marriage of content and technology, and I look forward to continuing to push the boundaries of play and entertainment.”

Hideaki Nishino will lead the Platform Business Group, which includes console hardware, technology, accessories, PlayStation Network and third-party relations (covering major publishers and indie studios). He was already SVP of Platform Experiences. He’s been part of the Sony business since 2006, holding numerous roles at Sony Network Entertainment, Sony Corporation and SIE.

"We will continue to connect players and creators through world-class products, services, and technology," Nishino said. "We always strive to grow our community even bigger with innovation in every area at Sony Interactive Entertainment.”

"I am honored to be appointed such an important role alongside Hermen. By working more closely together, we will be positioned to build incredible experiences for an ever-expanding audience now and in the future."

Both leaders will report to Sony Interactive Entertainment chairman Hiroki Totoki, who has been acting CEO of the division since Jim Ryan stepped down from the role at the end of March. Totoki is also president, COO and CFO of Sony Group Corporation. The latest changes will take effect from June 1st.

“Sony Interactive Entertainment is a dynamic and growing business that delivers incredible entertainment experiences through the connection of content and technology," Totoki said. "These two leaders will have clear responsibilities and will manage strategic direction to ensure the focus remains on deepening engagement with existing PlayStation users and expanding experiences to new audiences."

The fact both new CEOs are established PlayStation veterans is in-keeping with Sony’s approach of promoting from within. However, the decision to have two leaders is not something the business has done before and reflects the growing size and scale of the division.

That’s right, two CEOs! Thoughts, SW? Are you excited for the next chapter in PlayStation? Have no idea who Nishino is, will add more info when I get it. But Hermen Hulst has done great things (Guerilla Games - creators of Killzone and Horizon Zero Dawn). So I’m excited for that.

Vastly better than those shitheads at Xbox which Xbots worship

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3488 Posts

They need an extra ceo for the pachinko machines.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 6190 Posts

@loudheadphones said:

Vastly better than those shitheads at MS

@SolidGame_basic said:

Vastly better than those shitheads at Xbox which Xbots worship

What have they done to be better?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1383 Posts

It'll take more than 2 people to clean up Jumbo's mess.

Too little to late...Sony is in last place!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

Uncle Phil knocked him the flock out!! lol :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34747 Posts

Random suits who are probably not the best for the job and will most likely not do any good for the industry got positions that will net them way more money than honest, hard working people, like those who create games.

Rejoice.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1925 Posts

Hopefully they do better than Jim did. Then again, most people can do better than Jim. :/

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

So, in essence they didn't appoint or promoted anyone, just changed their job titles with the same responsibilities they had before.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic

Hype is real ya’ll

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

Can't wait for the releases on PC day one. Y'all going to be hiding.😂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic: You're funny 🤣

How a grown arse man can get hyped by PR speak is beyond me 🤦‍♂️

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic

@last_lap: I’m glad I make you laugh, IPDaily!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic: It's a laugh of bewilderment though as I can't believe you fall for, well not only fall for but get HYPED for Sony's PR nonsense.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16591 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: of course you had to be the one to make a thread about this news that nobody cares about.