Do you have to play 999?

#1 Posted by topher78714 (665 posts) -

This game seems pretty interesting and I really want to play it. My question though is do you have to play 999 first to understand what is going on?

#2 Posted by Szeiden (355 posts) -

You don't have to play 999 if you don't want to BUT, you really should play it first. Since this series isn't about fancy graphics, 999 ages well so it's still as good a game as it ever was and definitely worth playing. But again, if it's a huge hassle for you to get 999 for some reason, it isn't necessary to understand the story in Virtue's Last Reward.

#3 Posted by topher78714 (665 posts) -

You don't have to play 999 if you don't want to BUT, you really should play it first. Since this series isn't about fancy graphics, 999 ages well so it's still as good a game as it ever was and definitely worth playing. But again, if it's a huge hassle for you to get 999 for some reason, it isn't necessary to understand the story in Virtue's Last Reward.

Szeiden
It isn't a hassle, but I just don't have a DS to play it on (I wish they would do a digital release for the vita :-( )
#4 Posted by Szeiden (355 posts) -

Actually. I just beat the game and you NEED to play 999. Or at least you really should. It doesn't matter for most of the game (I was ~3/4th through when I commented initially), but in the last one or two hours there are a ton of references to the first game. I guess you still don't need it technically, but you'll be missing a lot. The ending will be much more satisfying if you've played the first game =)

#5 Posted by Neo_Sarevok (2976 posts) -

I guess you still don't need it technically, but you'll be missing a lot. The ending will be much more satisfying if you've played the first game =)>Szeiden
Nah, you're still being too soft on the guy. You NEED to play 999 first, period. I was really taken back by how many 999 references there were, yet they failed to expand on hardly any of it. Some of the best surprise moments occur based on 999 knowledge. What's worse, if the TC beats this game first and does eventually play 999, then this game will have spoiled a lot of 999's surprises.

TC, just purchase 999 to say you legally own it, then download a DS emulator and the ROM.

#6 Posted by sodastir (1 posts) -

[QUOTE="Szeiden"] I guess you still don't need it technically, but you'll be missing a lot. The ending will be much more satisfying if you've played the first game =)>Neo_Sarevok

Nah, you're still being too soft on the guy. You NEED to play 999 first, period. I was really taken back by how many 999 references there were, yet they failed to expand on hardly any of it. Some of the best surprise moments occur based on 999 knowledge. What's worse, if the TC beats this game first and does eventually play 999, then this game will have spoiled a lot of 999's surprises.

TC, just purchase 999 to say you legally own it, then download a DS emulator and the ROM.

ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! You MUST play 999 FIRST, no two ways about it. I started "Virtue" first because I read several people (plus a few reviewers) state that this in-order play wasn't necessary.

Whatever their reasons were, they were just dead-wrong! You MUST go in order, and I might even add, don't even look at screenshots or box art from "Virtue", as there is a huge 999 spoiler right there (cmon 999 players, it IS a spoiler!). I know it's 2013, but I type this so vehemently because I JUST finished 999 "True" ending (there are six). Don't go for the "true" ending first - the other five are too good to pass up! Yes, the replays take some time, but you are able to fast-forward everything you've already experienced [in the game, the choice is "begin with memories" - if you get a used copy, and see this choice, ERASE DATA! Don't ruin your game!] and as previous poster mentioned, please don't steal games/music anyone - how would you like it if thousands of people raided your wallet for 1.00 every month all year long? That's correct, you wouldn't, and it's exactly what happens when you think you're perpetrating a "victim-less crime" - no such thing!

Anyway, play 999, get 5 NON-"true" endings, then "True" ending. Then, move to "Virtue". It does suck that 999 isn't on VITA, and I'm fortunate enough to own both, but any way to borrow or buy a DS, it's worth it. Best TRULY Mature Adventure/Visual Novel-Puzzle game in last decade, at least.