Which missions (if any) do you take Rookies on to expand your squad choice?

#1 Posted by ianpwilliams (1476 posts) -

I'm a reasonable amount of missions into my game now, and I've been doing pretty well. I just had a mission in China which was ranked "Very Difficult" (I'm playing Normal Ironman), where I expected my team to die horribly. So I took the very best squad available (which meant no Rookies), and everything went perfectly. Everyone used the right weapon/ability at the right time, only one troop was injured, it just couldn't have gone any better. So now I have a good ten or so non-Rookies, and I'm wondering what kind of difficulty level of mission I should include a couple of them on, so that I can be expanding my non-Rookie troop selection? Maybe Medium? Or maybe just Easy?

#2 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Playing on normal I can't say I noticed a great deal of difference between the mission ratings - difficult, hard, very hard etc. The main differences came when new aliens appeared or their weaponry went up a tier. I treat my rookies as if they were a basic assault or support soldier - give them the same rifle and armour you would give one of those, and then give them an arc thrower or medikit as their accessory. You can run them up towards the front of your group, taking shots as normal, or possibly going in for a stun capture, or as a medic have them support your other soldiers healing as required. Try to take 1 rookie along on a mission when you can, as 1 rookie in a squad of sergeants and lieutenants is less of a problem than late game losing a Captain and replacing them with a rookie or squaddie. You cannot rely on your team of best soldiers to be available for every mission so having a pool of atleast a dozen decent soldiers will make life a lot easier. For later in the game, once you have a few Colonels, consider letting them sit out missions while other soldiers rank up with kills.
#3 Posted by ianpwilliams (1476 posts) -

Good advice, thanks. I definitely agree that it's good to build up a large collection of promoted troops, so there are more backups available. I also send my rookies up front usually, with my more experienced soldiers supporting them. I'll try taking one rookie along and see how that goes.

#4 Posted by ianpwilliams (1476 posts) -

Can someone tell me what the different types of mission are (e.g. crashed UFO), and how they generally tend to rank in order of difficulty? Just to help me decide what level of troops to take along for each mission.

#5 Posted by F1tsy (21 posts) -

Can someone tell me what the different types of mission are (e.g. crashed UFO), and how they generally tend to rank in order of difficulty? Just to help me decide what level of troops to take along for each mission.

ianpwilliams

Crashed and shot down ufo´s in general can be considered easier missions overall. Apart from that, consider the rest, if not otherwise said, as difficult imo.

Edit: The larger ufo´s can still be a pain in the A to deal with. Shot down or not.

#6 Posted by D3nnyCrane (11984 posts) -
[QUOTE="F1tsy"]

[QUOTE="ianpwilliams"]

Crashed and shot down ufo´s in general can be considered easier missions overall>

I agree with this - lesser levels of enemy activity mean you can sorta be a bit more reckless with the FNG's. As for ranking difficulties - hard to say, as it depends on what enemies you've discovered. I should say terror missions - but there is no penalty for not saving more than a couple civilians. Also, considering the aliens run for civlians first and more or less ignore your team, they are almost easier.

#7 Posted by RevolverAce (983 posts) -

I also find the SHIV to be a pretty good replacement for a 'fallen' soldier

#8 Posted by D3nnyCrane (11984 posts) -
Ehhh... I tried it but mostly used it as an overpriced suicide bomber. If you could use it as mobile active cover it'd be worth its weight in gold. I wonder how useful a pair of them would be - might try that in the next playthrough.
#9 Posted by ianpwilliams (1476 posts) -

[I agree with this - lesser levels of enemy activity mean you can sorta be a bit more reckless with the FNG's. As for ranking difficulties - hard to say, as it depends on what enemies you've discovered. I should say terror missions - but there is no penalty for not saving more than a couple civilians. Also, considering the aliens run for civlians first and more or less ignore your team, they are almost easier.

D3nnyCrane

Yeah I just had my first terror mission. It was crazy. Aliens starting right next to civilians, and then obviously killing them without me having any chance whatsoever to save them. So I didn't know if I was supposed to sprint at them, which would no doubt get my troops killed anyway. Thankfully I had a few run and gun troops, and managed to save about half the civilians. I'm guessing my next terror squad will be nothing but run and gun.

#10 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
I take them with me for smaller UFO's. I also use a "rookie" every time I want to do a capture. I use them (as fodder) to take them in close, and do a capture. Being very careful, they rarely (if ever) die. Which allows them good experience, since they are going to also make some kills by being near the front lines. On REALLY hard missions I take a full (ranked) squad. On any other mission I always take at least one lower rank (or someone i'm trying to level) and sometimes two on much easier missions.