Terror Missions pain in the A@#

#1 Posted by DaDizzel (799 posts) -

I do just fine until I hit the terror missions.

I rolled the same squad for 9-12 missions. I decided to take my what I thought was my elite squad in a terror mission and bamm! whole squad dead. should I start over? or can I rebound from having my whole squad wiped out? I tried to play a mission after that and my rookies was not getting the jod done.

Im stuck at the very first terror Mission, played up to this point 2x now and im having the same prob. Im playing normal Ironman mode. I refuse to play with ironman off. Smart ass AI/hacks kicking my butt.

I think I need early plasma and laser guns, Crystlids are strong and a pain.

Any tips please, thanks

#2 Posted by LordRikerQ (733 posts) -

This happened to me too, exactly this. I think its funny they did this to probaly make the Old School Players happy, but all it does is piss everyone else off and the old school players dont even want this, they want a graphical update of the old XCOM. So its just BS and a waste. Even on easy this crap happens.

#3 Posted by nailfoot (2377 posts) -

I have beat several Terror missions and I play on Normal (Not Ironman though). I have b eat the ones that say "Difficult" and also ones that say "Very Difficult".

I simply take it very slow, always end a move under cover, and keep my guys on overwatch. A sniper is very helpful as is having at least 5 soldiers in the group. All of my troops except one have the item that gives two extra HP in the backpack. The other soldier has a medikit.

My squad has a Heavy, sniper, support, assault, and one or two rookies so I can unlock other troop types.

#4 Posted by Lodoss2010 (18 posts) -

Im an Old school Xcom player. While the mission is now different from the old school version, the concept is still the same. You need to save the humans. When i entered this mission for the first time, i nailed the excellent rating and this is what i did. i moved my squad up as a tight unit, stuck my sniper in the back and up high. rescued the humans that were close to me. and then just hunted the aliens. the Over watch perk helps out a ton in the mission. providing you have a decent rank with your troops. I had some laser weapons and Carapace armor on my best Soldiers. 1 Support with Medigel, 1 Sniper with Medigel, 1 Heavy with Rocket launcher ( came in Handy) and two Assult guys with Laser Rifles. This team wiped the aliens asses in about 10 mins of the mission. Lost only 2 Humans and rescued 14 out of the 16.

#5 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

My first terror mission in this game was a "very difficult" one on normal difficulty with chysalids (bit of a weird thing to be opening the first terror mission with) and floaters.

On the first turn the aliens killed a civililian, second turn they killed 3 more... which I thought was a bit harsh not even the original game did that.

But I killed every single alien and saved 12 of the 18 civs in the end without the aliens even taking a shot at me. How in the holy hell can you lose your entire squad? Those chysalids are hard though took 3 shots to kill each one. 2 sniper plus point blanking it with a heavy machine gun bit risky but paid off.

I've only lost 2 soldiers so far in about 10 missions... one of them got poisoned to death and shot should have retreated sooner :( was only a new recruit anyway. And another one got insta killed by a floater from half a mile a way behind a wall (the AI cheats it could not even see that soldier and run past 2 other men WTF?).

The original UFO terror missions were much more harsh with chysalids as you were not guarenteed to get reaction fire on them, but then again the original game didn't put you on the first terror mission with them it was usually sectoids for the first 4 or 5 then floaters, then cyberdiscs then those bastards. You usually had armour before getting to that point, I still have rifles and rookies on my team FFS :).

This game seems to be rushing me a bit which I don't like, I like to take my time...

#6 Posted by Uesugi-dono (1611 posts) -
I made it through my first one with only one self-inflicted casualty. (damn burning cars) It was tough but the key was keeping my squad together. I also have a Lt. who has the multiple medkit ability and she made frequent healing treatments on the squad members. The problem I have is keeping my rooks alive on downed UFO missions!
#7 Posted by Uesugi-dono (1611 posts) -
@edwardeci - That was exactly like my first terror mission only they waited a few rounds to kill any civvies.
#8 Posted by DaDizzel (799 posts) -

I find the terror mission pretty easy now, my problem was that I didnt research weapons fast enough, I was going for armor.

You guys gotta remember everything is random, some people will be in a world of hurt and some will walk through it like cake. When I started the terror mission, I was gifted with two groups of cryslids and no lazer weapons, those suckers move far. I did a preety good job with my Tactics but a miss shot is brutal.

Smart AI: I got them down to two, things were looking in my favor even after I lost two of my own. One cryslid retreat. I went in to flank the other breaking the fog of war just to see one more cryslid and a zombie. So I proceeded to shoot the cryslid in the face and missed, my other two soldiers needed to reload at this point. They closed in on me GG and I'm pissed..Lol

Some (SPOILERS)vvvvvvvvvvv

But anyway, now that im good at that, more evil lurks Mid game. Mind Control, Beserkers(move in closer when you shoot them), beserkers with guns, Giant robots that can shoot twice and always have a low chance to hit them, even if there big as @@$%. In late game it seems like you miss more.

Well Game Over for me again, starting a new game. This game is brutal and I love every minute of it. Its just like old times, only this time around I will be victorious.

#9 Posted by WCK619 (551 posts) -

"I refuse to play with ironman off."

and here lies your biggest problem. You are still in a learning process, but you're playing a mode that is entirely unforgiving. If you want to learn strategy, save and reload over and over, find out what works and what doesn't through trial and error. Once you get the hang of things, then go play ironman.

#10 Posted by northypoley (1672 posts) -

I played on Classic Ironman mode (still haven't beaten it yet though) and I usually ace through the missions, including the Terror ones. What I usually do in any mission, especially on Terror Missions, is to never ever dash when exploring the map. Always move up and have an option to either move the unit back or hunker down or use oversight. Since the enemies are melee, they need at least 2 moves to reach the first unit you see them with, so just keep kiting them and let your sniper and other units finish them off.

Hope it helps.

#11 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

I played on Classic Ironman mode (still haven't beaten it yet though) and I usually ace through the missions, including the Terror ones. What I usually do in any mission, especially on Terror Missions, is to never ever dash when exploring the map. Always move up and have an option to either move the unit back or hunker down or use oversight. Since the enemies are melee, they need at least 2 moves to reach the first unit you see them with, so just keep kiting them and let your sniper and other units finish them off.

Hope it helps.

northypoley
Exactly, never ever dash. I'm only playing Ironman Normal, but I still keep it careful as there are things that can one-shot my weaker units. As for the terror missions, I rushed laser weapons and had no trouble killing of the Chryssalids in the first few, but when the Cyberdisks started appearing out of nowhere, it got a bit tough. I have yet to lose a single soldier on a terror mission, although I've been cutting it extremely close on the last few missions. Also, don't bother rescuing every person on the map, just rescue the ones closest to the start and then focus on taking down the aliens. The aliens won't even attack the humans who are too far out of sight.
#12 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

Completed my first "very difficult" terror mission and was also surprised to be rushed by Chrysalids so early in the game - had 1 rookie in a team of 4 still in basic armour and with basic equipment - but managed to get an Excellent rating.

The Chrysalids were by far the biggest concern - they move so fast and can freely jump between levels - and if they do kill someone that zombie has even higher hitpoints than the Chrysalid that created it.

I split my team into a group of 3 and a solo guy. The 3 advanced towards the front of a large building with plenty of visibility inside - and could take down the floaters initially, and the Chrysalids a couple of turns later when they spawned and rushed in. The solo guy ran from civilian to civilian and had released 7 before I completed the mission and found out that any left over were saved anyway! But several of these would have been cannon fodder if he hadn't got to them first.

I mentioned in the Zombies thread, but also relevant here - I tried to capture a Chrysalid using the Arc Thrower, but it said "no target in range" despite standing next to a Chrysalid that had been reduced to 3 health - is it just a case of too early in the game and need better researched kit, or do they not intend you to capture one of these?

I seem to remember from either UFO or TFTD that capturing these early on provided a great boost to unlocking better tech to research - hence wanting to bag one as early as possible :)

#13 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

Actually, I just played a terror mission, and the aliens do in fact start killing of people outside of your field of vision, regardless of weather you spot them or not. However, I still suggest advancing with caution, even if the civvies are getting torn to shreds. Better them than your precious soldiers, especially when all of them are colonels.

#14 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

Take it slow and play smart is the best advice.  It seems you can't save all the civilians since the aliens have no compunction about killing ones you haven't even spotted yet, but you can save a good number of them.

Yeah, I learned the hard way that dashing into the fog of war is a bad idea.  Fortunately I didn't lose any soldiers, but 3 out of my 5 man squad were laid up with serious injuries when it was all over. 

#15 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

i made a video specifically desined to help you on the first terror mission.  this is even on classic difficutly with ironman mode turned on.  i recommend it, you might learn some neat trips/tricks to help you succeed in the terror mission and beyond.  here, hope it helps and enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkRa_TSgQs&feature=plcp

#16 Posted by ZakMcKracken (188 posts) -
Only managed Excellent on the first terror mission. Later in the game max 'Good' as the game throw far too many strong aliens in the mix to take them all down in a single turn (which is all they need to shoot several humans). It seems that on terror missions some aliens roam the map while others are unlocked when you get close. Success relies quite a bit on luck in this game which is not very strategic and quite annoying at times.
#17 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I've done a few more terror missions now and the key seems to be completing them in as few turns as possible. there do seem to be some aliens keen on just running around focusing on civilians while others only trigger when you get line of sight on them. I have now managed a perfect terror mission with all 18 civilians saved, no XCOM injuries, so it is possible - atleast on normal! My toughest terror mission so far was due to Chrysalid numbers - unlocking 6 through the actions of one soldier - he shot a rocket at a cyberdisk, blew a hole through a wall waking up 3 Chrysalids, who in turn woke up another 3. First round killed 3 of them and backed away from the other 3. Second round finished with 2 dead and one on 1HP - the only thing that saved my Captain Heavy was the Chrysalid choosing to attack a nearby civilian instead of my soldier - thank you :)
#18 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Only managed Excellent on the first terror mission. Later in the game max 'Good' as the game throw far too many strong aliens in the mix to take them all down in a single turn (which is all they need to shoot several humans). It seems that on terror missions some aliens roam the map while others are unlocked when you get close. Success relies quite a bit on luck in this game which is not very strategic and quite annoying at times.ZakMcKracken

its not based on luck, its based on math, probability.  i beat the game on classic ironman mode and after awhiel, it became very easy for me.  gonna do impossible difficutly next.  one you figure out what to do and not do, you find ways to increase your hit percentage.  its that easy