Overwatch is pretty useless

#1 Posted by brandesm (3 posts) -

Except for potshots that miss. I've had all 5 other members of my squad miss time after time. I understand the debuff with the exception of the sniper perk, but seriously....hopefully plasma will perform better than Lieutenants with lasers?

#2 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

It's all about strategy, you use overwatch to cover people advancing or retreating. Also to cover people reloading.

You don't use overwatch (reaction fire) in combat instead of just shooting... one useful tactic is to run one guy in and lure them out to a sniperfest. Aliens are dumb and come after you.

#3 Posted by Niner0 (1602 posts) -

Except for potshots that miss. I've had all 5 other members of my squad miss time after time. I understand the debuff with the exception of the sniper perk, but seriously....hopefully plasma will perform better than Lieutenants with lasers?

brandesm
Overwatch has saved my ass in every other mission, I find it especially useful when advancing or when facing Floaters. 4 hours in, and still haven't lost a single soldier, much thanks to Overwatch.
#4 Posted by ajac09 (2 posts) -

I just wish it wouldnt have them all fire at the first target. Lke one at a time. ONe guy see's fires kill sit. Then the other 4 can save theres for other contacts.

#5 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
All of them firing one at a time wouldn't make sense. overwatch is a reaction, so the soliders react to the first thing they see and act instantly. Each turn is only a couple of seconds of real time.
#6 Posted by Adam_GI (17 posts) -

You could try to spread them out a little so they don't all see and shoot at the same guy, although could be a bit risky.

#7 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

I've found Overwatch to be extremely useful.  Like everything else in this game it's not a guaranteed hit, but having an extra opportunity to fire is a definite advantage.

#8 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
Also depending on the enemy locations and yours depends on how good your overwatch might be. The closer the enemy the higher chance to hit. Like I might take cover in a building and set to overwatch so that when the alien follows trying to come through the door, bam shotgun to the face.
#9 Posted by Guannoboy (561 posts) -
Also depending on the enemy locations and yours depends on how good your overwatch might be. The closer the enemy the higher chance to hit. Like I might take cover in a building and set to overwatch so that when the alien follows trying to come through the door, bam shotgun to the face.stan_boyd
. Yep, that's the best way to use overwatch. If you don't have a good shot, run out of sight and then overwatch. That way the enemy will run after you and out of cover, giving you a better chance to hit.
#10 Posted by y3ivan (535 posts) -

Overwatch only fires once enemy is on the move (exception of Support - Reaction fire skill). All overwatch has a penalty of -10? aim on top of your regular aim percentage (except for Sniper - overwatch skill). Generally overwatch is used for covering blindspot (out of line of sight) at mid/close range which is extremely useful in CQC especially inside of Large alien spacecraft. Out in the openfield Overwatch is useless (except a LT. Sniper)

Alternatively, overwatch could be use "bait & kill" to great advantage. 1 example of effective use of overwatch will be against "berserker", by positioning your overwatch units at a blindspot facing the intended path of the enemy, bait 1 of your units by firing at it.

#11 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

obviously you have not learned to use overwatch properly.  overwatch is your greatest assest in ironman mode and difficulties of classic and impossible.

#12 Posted by vfibsux (4252 posts) -

I see overwatch as free shots at the enemy, if you hit more it would be too overpowered.

My issue with the game is the inconsistency with missing altogether with 75%+ shots. I feel every shot is a 50/50, pretty sad when I cannot count on a 90% shot :/

#13 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

I see overwatch as free shots at the enemy, if you hit more it would be too overpowered.

My issue with the game is the inconsistency with missing altogether with 75%+ shots. I feel every shot is a 50/50, pretty sad when I cannot count on a 90% shot :/

vfibsux

it's cuz overwatch has a significant aim penalty, but like you said, its free shots if properly used.

#14 Posted by vfibsux (4252 posts) -

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

Rage010101

it's cuz overwatch has a significant aim penalty, but like you said, its free shots if properly used.

My point about missing shots was with regular shots, not overwatch.
#15 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

My point about missing shots was with regular shots, not overwatch.

i dunno for the most part high percentage numbers seem to work in my favor when it comes to normal shots.  look at my xcom vids for proof.  im playing it on classic ironman mode as well.  anyway here is the link to my vids.  one of them is a guide to surviving first terror mission on classic ironman.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYelG4s9vg&feature=plcp

#16 Posted by Cobra5 (1949 posts) -
Overwatch is extremely helpful. The reason why a lot of people think it sucks is because they use to to defense against approaching enemies they haven't spotted yet. When you spot an enemy and shoot at overwatch, remember, you are just spotting them. That means they are at the longest range of your vision range, and your chance to hit will be very low. Overwatch is more important to use once the fight is already on. It prevents the enemy from flanking your position. This is especially important on Classic and Impossible, because if you go a turn without any overwatch, the enemy will rush your position and defeat you from one square away, or from behind your cover.
#17 Posted by Tseng (4718 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cobra5"]Overwatch is extremely helpful. The reason why a lot of people think it sucks is because they use to to defense against approaching enemies they haven't spotted yet. When you spot an enemy and shoot at overwatch, remember, you are just spotting them. That means they are at the longest range of your vision range, and your chance to hit will be very low. Overwatch is more important to use once the fight is already on. It prevents the enemy from flanking your position. This is especially important on Classic and Impossible, because if you go a turn without any overwatch, the enemy will rush your position and defeat you from one square away, or from behind your cover.

This is basically what I was going to say. Even if you don't get a reaction shot off, or you miss, Overwatching is useful if only for the fact that 90% of the time it keeps enemies in the same spot (with some obvious exceptions), giving you one or two turns to flank them.
#18 Posted by ZakMcKracken (188 posts) -

The worst is when the squaddies that are on overwatch all shoot at the same time at the same alien (and miss) after which the other 2 aliens just stroll past and rip you a new one :)