Just had the most awesome experience

#1 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

I had such an awesome experience in this game I feel the need to share it.

It was like this:

I had just downed a UFO and was investigating the crash site. After popping a few Insectoids outside of the actual ship, I start making my approach. I'm playing with Iron Man enabled (only on normal, though, as I've never played any of the other games), and beacuse of that I am very careful when advancing. Anyway, I set up a sniper on a hill outside of the UFO and moved slowly inside of it. In the first room, there was nothing. I had cover in the center and around two doorways, left and right. I start setting up my squad to move through the doorway on the right, when suddenly, two Floaters burst through. An assault trooper on Overwatch takes a shot at them, but it goes wide. One of them moves outside through one of those large force fields and the other one moves towards a support at the rank of squaddie. However, in doing so, it moves into the line of sight of my sniper who's stationed outside (with Squad Sight, otherwise it would have been way too far off), and takes a bullet to the face. The other Floater goes down without a fight.

Moving into the central room of the UFO, I am a bit reckless and have only one unit on Overwatch. One of those aliens that materializes out of thin air suddenly... well, materializes out of thin air. The guy on Overwatch takes a shot at it with his laser rifle, misses, and destroys the wall behind the alien. My sniper, who's still sitting on the hill outside, can then land a reaction shot through the newly made opening in the craft, effectively ending the mission.

It was awesome. I love this game.

#2 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
cool story bro, and I actually mean cool story bro not in a sarcastic way at all. I had something similar happen to me except it was in a city lvl, I had my sniper up on a roof and I was combing through a build when I got attacked by some thin men. One of them blew a hole in the wall and the sniper took him out.
#3 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -
cool story bro, and I actually mean cool story bro not in a sarcastic way at all. I had something similar happen to me except it was in a city lvl, I had my sniper up on a roof and I was combing through a build when I got attacked by some thin men. One of them blew a hole in the wall and the sniper took him out.stan_boyd
City maps are the boss. The destructability in this game adds layers of strategic depth, but also makes it wonderfully unpredictable.
#4 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

I believe this is known as emergent gameplay, which is basically the Holy Grail of game design.  Sounds awesome.

#5 Posted by DaDizzel (799 posts) -

I had a few myself. Its so awesome to have it work out for you like that. Just remember, stuff will happen like that in reverse.

My sniper was in 20+ missions had 63 kills, he never missed a shot.

I was moving along like I normaly do, a group of beserkers with guns come out, my sniper takes one out from overwatch. 1 moves in takes a shot and hits my sniper with a crit from the flank. No prob, I move in with my asault and kill the beserker on the flank. Now I move my Support in to heal my sniper. fog of war breaks another group of beserkers come out. My Assault soldier Panics and shoots my sniper in the face, He is now gone forever.

It was the 4th time I started over and I have yet to find a better Sniper.

So then I asked myself, Why in the hell did you turn on ironman. WHHHYYY??? WHHYYYYY???

#6 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

I had a few myself. Its so awesome to have it work out for you like that. Just remember, stuff will happen like that in reverse.

My sniper was in 20+ missions had 63 kills, he never missed a shot.

I was moving along like I normaly do, a group of beserkers with guns come out, my sniper takes one out from overwatch. 1 moves in takes a shot and hits my sniper with a crit from the flank. No prob, I move in with my asault and kill the beserker on the flank. Now I move my Support in to heal my sniper. fog of war breaks another group of beserkers come out. My Assault soldier Panics and shoots my sniper in the face, He is now gone forever.

It was the 4th time I started over and I have yet to find a better Sniper.

So then I asked myself, Why in the hell did you turn on ironman. WHHHYYY??? WHHYYYYY???

DaDizzel

I stings to lose high ranking officers, but that's what makes the engagements so freaking intense. I know all too well how cakewalks can turn into **** in the blink of an eye. Once, I was on a routine mission with my squad spread out around solid cover. The muttons weren't a problem as my sniper on a rooftop was picking them off one by one. However, a gnarly Cyberdisk decided to enter the fray, fire a grenade destroying the cover for 3 soldiers, damaging two of them and ultimately giving the muttons the chance to pepper my Support Captain (who was my only support above the rank of squaddie) full of plasma. It was a sad day. The terror missions are the worst, though. Chryssalids everywhere, Cyberdiscs dropping out of the sky etc, you never know where it's "safe" to be. And those zombies are quite pesky as well. I very nearly wiped once when a Cyberdisk, three Chryssalids and one zombie attacked at the same time, as my squad was spread out thin. Got out with 3 soldiers gravely wounded (2 of them had 2 health left). I have yet to lose more than one soldier in a single mission, though, and after 11 hours I have a total of 3 units lost (one Captain, two squaddies). It's getting really hard to train rookies as well, as even the easy missions pose a grave threat to them. Gotta get that Titan Armor as fast as I can.

#7 Posted by Antar (1 posts) -

Nice stories guys.

I can only say that I have started the game over several times for the same reasons. Losing a high ranking sniper, supporter or otherwise.

Apart from that, I am wondering about the development through the game. Would it actually help to train more soldiers instead of the same few? I mean  just bring new ones into the very first battles and thereby prevent your soldiers from getting higher ranks and thereby into harder fights?

This is something I still miss to test out and if some of you already got the answer, I wouldn't have to find out on my own...

Thanks in advance. :) 

#8 Posted by dino251 (1 posts) -
How do you shut off a power node in the bomb disposal missions. PS3
#9 Posted by D3nnyCrane (11984 posts) -

How do you shut off a power node in the bomb disposal missions. PS3dino251

You just have to get in range of it and (I play on XBOX) tap the equivalent of the A button - it tells you which button to press anyway.

I could be wrong (as I did it by accident!) but I think it's just as effective to blow the Bejeezus outta them as well.

As for destroyable terrain - nothing worse than having to scramble for cover and breathe a premature sigh of relief, before said cover gets zapped and everyone gets to treat your newly-exposed soldier like a bullseye in a urinal.