Just bought the game and am having a blast. Questions though.

#1 Posted by frerich (1232 posts) -

So like I said I'm having loads of fun. I've never even heard of X-COM until just before the game was released but I am playing on Classic + Ironman. I already lost my only surviving squad member from the tutorial in the very next mission and he will be missed.

Anyways to the actual questions. How do you save manually? I can save and quit but is there no option to save manually? I turned autosave on just in case but the lack of a manual save function worries me.

Secondly, When I built my base, I was given the choice between North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and I think South America. But I was only able to place it on North America or Europe. Why couldn't I choose one of the other locations?

Thanks in advance to all who help!

#2 Posted by northypoley (1672 posts) -

1.) Iron Man means you do not get to choose when you can save, thus, everything is permanent. You don't get to choose to save before a mission and reload if it goes bad, the game automatically saves for you. The only way to save is to use the save/quite option.

2.) As for the countries you start out, I think you only get a limited amount of options for your first time. After you have beaten the tutorial, you can start another game and you can have all the countries to choose from.

#3 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
If you have the tutorial active it restricts quite a lot of things - one of which is base placement - allowing only North America or Europe. If you want more options just start a new game and don't have the tutorial box ticked - you get the full game from the start, but don't do the tutorial missions. From my first playthrough it took about 4 missions before many options at the base were unlocked, and by restarting I found you could put yourself in a much stronger position by having that extra 2 weeks worth of research and base building done.
#4 Posted by Niner0 (1601 posts) -

So like I said I'm having loads of fun. I've never even heard of X-COM until just before the game was released but I am playing on Classic + Ironman. I already lost my only surviving squad member from the tutorial in the very next mission and he will be missed.

Anyways to the actual questions. How do you save manually? I can save and quit but is there no option to save manually? I turned autosave on just in case but the lack of a manual save function worries me.

Secondly, When I built my base, I was given the choice between North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and I think South America. But I was only able to place it on North America or Europe. Why couldn't I choose one of the other locations?

Thanks in advance to all who help!

frerich
Restart after completing the tutorial, it makes some really questionable decisions for you. And this cannot be stressed enough: Satellite coverage is very, VERY important.