Classic is way too difficult?

#1 Posted by Shuazoido (394 posts) -

I beat the game on normal fairly easily (with a fair bit of saving and loading).

I then tried classic and its outrageous, your troops panic almost immediately after being shot and are a bunch on whimps who just miss their targets.

Even moving them to flank enemies less than 3 tiles away is ineffective.

I wish there was some sort of middle ground, like Normal mode with 1.5x more enemies crowded together.

#2 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
Only near the beginning. Once you start getting several ranked soldiers, it'll get a lot easier. You'll be almost unstoppable.
#3 Posted by MindlessTeef (1392 posts) -

I found classic a bit easy at times actaully, played until a few days in to the second month on impossible. There your guys panic even if one guy gets hit (but doesn't die) and then procede to shoot all their team mates one by one. I have a sniper that always misses the aliens... the only hits he has had, was his own team mates.

#4 Posted by Diminisher (1006 posts) -
Classic is more annoying than anything. I have a sniper that is useless. My assault is more accurate at all ranges? Don't even know how that works. Also I had a guy panic when the alien missed... That was a reload. These guys are way too panicky and then you add the midturn intimidating from the mutons. Just not fun. Not to mention getting injured lowers will.
#5 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
Well they are actually re-gearing classic. In the most recent patch notes for the upcoming patch they are going to be making classic mode easier. So they had a lot of complaints of classic mode difficulty and they are fixing that.
#6 Posted by MindlessTeef (1392 posts) -

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?177126-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-2nd-Patch-update

I don't see any mention of classic being easier? Just the easy being easier.

I don't think they should bother personally, just stop the AI from cheating! On imposible they hardly ever miss and score criticals more ofthen than not. The AI should have the same limiataion as you do. Just add more enemies and make sure they have hight stats.

#7 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
Hmm your right. I got my updates first through some other source, IGN or Joystiq or something. Not sure where I read that at. I thought it said "classic mode easier" I must have mis-read or they mistyped. But yes, thanks for pointing that out.
#8 Posted by MindlessTeef (1392 posts) -

No worries, I think they should just do what Yahtzee says in his review of the game...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6468-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown

The part where the player has some control over when missions can be done. The way it is is just way to linear. If (like the original) you could put chase after UFO's that keep comming in to Earth's orbit and see more battles that way you can get resources quicker and get those satelites up faster. The first few in-game months are far to predictable.

#9 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
The more "choice" they give the better. I just hope that they continue on the right track. They have a really good "Potential" game here. One that really replicates the greatness (almost) of the first one. If they make the right decisions with patches, DLC, and continue building it then it could end up turning into one of the best games (of it's kind) for the entire century. I just hope they continue on the right design directions and keep making the right decisions.
#10 Posted by ninjakreborn (37 posts) -
It's very much like Shadow Run. The original one on the Sega. It was one of my favorite games. I heard they were coming out with another one. The shooter. So I played it. Ran into a corner and slammed my head into a wall. While the game itself was alright..it wasn't what I thought. Luckily, I heard they were releasing a "kickstarter" project for a remake of the original (sequel) and I hope that comes to past. I haven't checked up on it lately. But that's kind of what this feels like. The original X-Com came out and was awesome. Then I played the crap out of every X-Com ever made, including the "spiritual sequel (which was really good by the way)" but nothing ever came close to measuring up...until this. So much they did right, and so much more than can continue to do right if they continue heading in this direction. I can just smell a few large expansions that'll also enhance the original gameplay.
#11 Posted by Diminisher (1006 posts) -
I really wish they just took the original and made the graphics like it is now. No RNG. No cover system. Add the RPGish system back. Soldiers that shoot more get better aim regardless of weapon. Armor shouldn't affect aim. I'm surprised no one has brought that up. Our soldier wear armor and gain health. Alien where armor and gain health and aim reduction...Why? I met my first Etheral today and put the game down. That was ridiculous. Lost a Colonel Assault due to a new game mechanic.
#12 Posted by Dazler1 (39 posts) -
I started it on classic but didnt realise what spending meant and all the house keeping, and classic was bloomin hard when you dont know that, so im playing it on normal ironman and that is still challenging to say the least, i think if you do nomal with saving then its gonna be easy but doing it on iron man any mistakes you make are permanent, i lost a whole team of Majors and Captains on one map on nomal, but was a lesson learned and a valid one for my next play through on classic. Still figuring things out about it and ways best to play it ready for the harder classic challenge. And this is the first game ive played a normal level setting always gone for hard on anygames i get apart from this one.
#13 Posted by Hellcanwait (835 posts) -

completed the game on impossible, just like classic its the first 2 months that are really hardcore, once you made it past the first 2 months things get easier.

atm i'm trying to complete classic in ironman mode, not having much luck but loads of fun though :)

#14 Posted by gMcR (216 posts) -

I modded the classic difficulty to make it a little easier. It's now more like normal difficulty but without the restricted AI. I also nerfed the absurd panic increase to make the game more enjoyable.

#15 Posted by PyreofKoL (5826 posts) -
Classic is more annoying than anything. I have a sniper that is useless. My assault is more accurate at all ranges? Don't even know how that works. Also I had a guy panic when the alien missed... That was a reload. These guys are way too panicky and then you add the midturn intimidating from the mutons. Just not fun. Not to mention getting injured lowers will.Diminisher
That's exactly how I felt about Hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas. Guess I'll be avoiding Classic, then.