arc throwers

#1 Posted by infael (29 posts) -

I equipped all soldiers with arc throwers. In combat, am seeing pistols instead of arc throwers. What gives?

#2 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
The rifle and pistol are your primary and secondary weapons, and those are what appears in the bottom corner of the screen. The arc thrower is an accessory so only adds an extra option on to the row of buttons along the bottom of the screen alongside attack, reload, overwatch etc. The Stun icon is an alien head with electricity coming out of it, and is only clickable when you are in close proximity to an alien to attempt a stun. On the main battlefield view if you select a unit equiped with an arc thrower and move over enemies you will see a blue circle with electricity symbols on it - this shows you the range you need to get inside to be able to attempt a stun attack.
#3 Posted by thrice00 (951 posts) -

Is there a way to capture robotics units ?

#4 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Cyberdisks and Sectopods cannot be captured. Drones cannot be captured, but if you upgrade the arc thrower in the foundry it can be modified to take control of them, but only for the duration of that mission. Chryssalids also cannot be captured
#5 Posted by RevolverAce (983 posts) -

Can berserkers be captured? when i shot my arc at one, it said no stun or something lke that.

#6 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Yes Beserkers can be captured - a bit more dangerous as they charge the person that injured them each time, but you can use that to your advantage and use other soldiers to lure it towards your arc thrower soldier. Get it to 3HP or below as with other aliens and you will have a chance at capturing it.
#7 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12019 posts) -

Can berserkers be captured? when i shot my arc at one, it said no stun or something lke that.

RevolverAce
I thhink Berzerkers have a pretty hefty Will ranking, which is why it can be harder to use Psionics on them as well. Land a decent 12pt critical on them and they should be zapped as easy as the others. I never really used arc throwers out side of when they were priority objectives - is there much benefit other than being able to retain their weaponry?
#8 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

... is there much benefit other than being able to retain their weaponry?D3nnyCrane

Yes - each type of unit that you capture provides a research credit which halves the research time for all affected technologies.

Variants of the same race provide different benefits, so a basic Muton gives different benefits to a Muton Beserker or a Muton Elite.