Don't even try to start this game.....

#1 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

I checked this game after a break of 6 months cause it's free an alll and it's even more horrible than before.

If you have some tier 8-9-10 tanks it's playable cause there aren't any bigger tanks than tier 10, but if you want to start at tier 1 you're going to be thrown in games with tanks 4 tiers above you. 

If you manage to get to tier 5-6 tanks, then you end up 8 out of 10 games witn tier 8-9 tanks you cant do anything against.

Dont even bother....

#2 Posted by elcortino (4 posts) -
Be smart and tactical then you will manage ;)
#3 Posted by sanctuary13 (467 posts) -
Bull. If anything this game is even more accessible to those interested. The new tier 5 light tanks will provide mid range players with something a bit more useful in higher tiered fights, but ultimately if you start WoT, it will be quite some time before you run into a tier 8, much less a tier ten. Someone is just upset. I take my tier 4s out against tier 8s and can get shots in that deal damage, I'm not even that great a player. Don't blame your failures on WoT.
#4 Posted by Fanboy_Crusader (12 posts) -

This game has the worst match-making I have ever seen. if you play, at some point the game will put you in a battle with tanks four teirs above you. Try tpo imagine how much fun you can in match where you are being put up against opponents who you cannot damage regardless of where you hit them, but they can one shot you. This game does have glimpses of potential, sometimes you are on top, in which you roll around one shotting everyone on the other team ( this isn't much b/c there is sno skill).  Once in while you may get a close spread of the teirs, shich is fun to play and the winner will come down to skill and team work, however this seems to be a match-making fluke, and only happens maybe 1 in 10 games.

My advice is stay away from this game, unless you are willing to spend some money.

#5 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

This ^^^

Above tier 3 the game is a non stop grind for a better tank. Tier 3-7 is very bad as you always end up with tanks 3-4 tiers above you and you can't to a thing aginst them. Once you get to tier 8 and above you'll have to start paying to play.

Do not try to get the "better tank" above tier 2 in this game. You'll regret it.

If you really want to play this game, use tier 1-2 tanks and you'll never end up in a game where you'll get oneshoted by a tank you can't do anything against

#6 Posted by Berghoff_1 (47 posts) -

With the new 0.7.5 update MM is improved. With most tanks there is now only max +2 above your own which is quite nice. Hopefully the moaning will fade away soon.

It is simple really, if you are a top-tier play aggresively, if you are at the bottom of the food chain, hang back and support.

#7 Posted by tomek21 (1 posts) -
Just try harder :)
#8 Posted by booch1947 (2 posts) -

It's a Great game

#9 Posted by ernman1 (1 posts) -
interesting thread...I spent almost $100 in tanks from the gift store only to be put into games where i couldn't even get one kill..the majority of comments are right...just stay at low levels and enjoy...i am currently getting my money back for these "virtual" items. good thing i have a bank that backs me because they are complete butt-heads if you aren't satisfied with anything...
#10 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

I would say that if you don't like luck screwing up your experience, stay away from this game.

#11 Posted by Caldrin (223 posts) -

I checked this game after a break of 6 months cause it's free an alll and it's even more horrible than before.

If you have some tier 8-9-10 tanks it's playable cause there aren't any bigger tanks than tier 10, but if you want to start at tier 1 you're going to be thrown in games with tanks 4 tiers above you. 

If you manage to get to tier 5-6 tanks, then you end up 8 out of 10 games witn tier 8-9 tanks you cant do anything against.

Dont even bother....

tar1901

This is just not true.. you can only get tierd 2 above or below.. so if you are t1 the highest you will go against is t3 and sure it will be harder for you to kill t3 tanks at t1 but its still possible.. and thats the same all the way up..

There are a few exceptions to this rule.

1. Light tanks at lvl 4 and above the can get put into high tier battles, but thats because they are scout tanks and you can make a **** ton of xp by jsut scouting out the enemy tanks and letting your team kill them.

2. Artillery can be placed against a much higher tierd tanks but thats because they do silly amounts of damage.

3. Premium tanks, some of these are locked to certain tiers. The Matilda BP for instance will not go against anything higher than T6 and its a T5 tank.

#12 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

I would empathize with the Opening Post - the game does not have much in the way of in-game tutorials and documentation on its mechanics. Instead, the player is expected to visit sites like the World of Tanks Wiki and the World of Tanks forums to know about nuances such as Tier V light tanks having a very high "Battle Tier" and other differences that would frustrate an inexperienced player.

This game has such f*cking steep learning curves - only for the meticulous, I would say.

#13 Posted by tar1901 (135 posts) -

This is just not true.. you can only get tierd 2 above or below.. 

Caldrin

I think you should check the original post that was almost 10 months ago. At that time the match making was + 4 tier and you would end up with a tier 6 in a tier 10 battle. So what I said was true.

Since then the match making was changed to +2 tier spread because the game was litteraly coming apart. But Wargamming fixes one problem and creates 2.

-Now premium ammo is available for standard currency and even if it's more expensive you still make a profit in a good game. This completley break the balance of the game because almost all armor is useless now and the game looks like a first person shooter

-high tier battles are infested with artilery and tier 10 tanks get killed with 2 shots like some tier 1 loltraktors. Who wouldn't want to play artilery and shoot at other tanks from a safe distance?

The developers keep adding new tanks(worst than existing ones) but somehow fail to fix the serious problems.

#14 Posted by BarnaJon (1 posts) -
I agree, this game is a bad game and its success is almost, if not fully, due to the fact that there isn't really any other "arcade-y" mmo tank shooter on the internet, for now it's this or nothing, but with the release of War Thunder: Tanks that is going to change and I believe the competition will force both games to improve themselves greatly or fall to the side and be forgotten. World of Tanks problems stem mostly from its mechanics many of which are either poorly explained, poorly understood by its community or entirely unnecessary wastes of time. The XP system is broken, by this I mean it serves no discernible use other than artificially lengthening and padding the gameplay, it CAN be directly used to improve your crew at an accelerated rate after unlocking that ability through excessive grinding but with crew experience not being transferable to new tanks it makes this a relevant option only if you particularly enjoy a specific tank, NOT to reduce the grind and tediousness of tanks you're only playing because the game promises to "eventually" be good at a later date. Instead, the XP earned in matches is used as a third form of currency in game. See the game has for all practical purposes 3 forms of currency, premium gold which is is bought with real money and Silver Credits and XP are both earned through playing matches. Now the problem arises with the latter two, to explain the problem I'll use an analogy: Lets say that you went to the market to buy a soda, but upon arriving to the counter the clerk asks you to pay 1/4 of the soda in pesos and 3/4 of it in dollars, you'd look at him rather angrily and question both his intelligence and motives for doing this. Well, that's World of Tanks, XP is used almost entirely for unlocking equipment and the game effectively forces you to buy things and grind (further artificially increasing game time) twice. This isn't what I would call a recipe for good gameplay, I mean, an entire section of the game (XP earning) could be eliminated from it and nothing negative at all would happen, it's entirely unnecessary and quite frankly a bit stupid and it is inexcusable having this in place at such a late stage of development. Oh, and I forgot to mention, XP is non-transferable between vehicles unless you have unlocked every equipment node in a vehicles tech tree making that vehicle Elite AND are prepared to pay a gold transaction fee (nice money making scheme guys), so you WILL be grinding on tanks you absolutely hate, just because. Matchmaking is something that has been a problem throughout the games development and continues to be so, rather than taking XP earning into consideration (hey Wargaming, there's a GOOD use for XP *wink* *wink*) the MM relies mostly on Tiers, this will often result in tanks that simply don't have anything to do in the battle, IE tanks too light to take damage, too slow or big to stay out of fire, with a gun that can't pen or is too inaccurate for sniping and a radio that doesn't allow them to scout properly all because they are the same tier and (supposedly) similar in usage to its enemy counterparts. The game also has a major flaw seen almost everywhere these days and, sadly, mostly accepted by present audiences, something I call "eventually good syndrome", games that present powerups (in this case equipment) that promise that once you get them the game will be good but until then will be boring, bland and frustrating. This isn't good gameplay and is in my opinion, a dishonest, greedy and unimaginative way to hook users (mainly young ones) on to your game through tedious grinding. The maps are also dull and boring after a few days, with 33 maps you would think that you'd have a good selection and variety going but there's only really three types of maps, closed, mixed and open and they're all fairly small with the largest maps being 1000m x 1000m seriously limiting the amount of tactics that can be applied and making matches repetitive and boring with teams continually fighting for the same strategic points usually in the same manner. Moreover, with matches lasting a fairly short amount of time you will likely see most maps within your first three days of grinding, I say likely because WoT does not have ANY map choosing feature. Maps like matches are picked and issued to your tank entirely at random with no input from you whatsoever, despite this WoT has included a camo option for your tank which runs you a few hundred thousand credits for a 1 week paint-job to a few gold for a permanent one, there are two camo options, summer camo and winter camo, and each only reduces your visibility by 5% in the environment it is meant for, but once again, you can't choose your environment. The game also punishes you for a team effort. Regardless of how well YOU do, both your win percentage and earnings will suffer if the team (which you had no hand in picking) you're on is bad. Rather than rewarding you for being on a bad team and still earning 5 kills the game will punish you for it and at higher tiers wont even give you enough money to repair the tank as well as giving you a pathetic amount of XP. This is exceedingly frustrating on weekends when many younger and inexperienced players join the servers and will frequently lead to losing streaks within the game that are not really your fault but for which you will get punished anyway. Now, I understand why they did this, it is after all a team based game and they are trying to reinforce that concept, the problem is that it's done in a clumsy and heavy handed way, it's done in a manner similar to a certain FPS, where you're given generic objective X and sent on your way and if you don't work together you all lose, the problem is that those FPS's are generally not as team driven as one would think and most definitively not as team reliant as WoT is, so an improvement of some kind is sorely needed. The prices(credit and XP) for both items and tanks are also excessive given what was just stated about not being able to pick your teams and it seriously affecting earning potential. With Tier 6 tanks costing upwards of 900K credits and 27-30K XP to purchase and Tier 10 being the last tier of tank you can see that things get pricey (and grindy) fast, while this might not seem like a great deal to very good players that regularly get 4-5 kills per match and hardly ever get killed meaning they keep all their winnings, it is quite a bit to players that have been playing for 2 weeks or less are lucky to get 2 kills in a game, and have to repair their tank almost every match. This really seems like yet another tactic to artificially pad the game with additional "playability" and try to seduce the player into purchasing a premium account. On the whole I would recommend trying WoT out just to see if you like the genre then staying as far away from it as possible until some serious competition shows up that forces them to improve gameplay, because as things are right now the game is stagnating.
#15 Posted by SKYTT66 (1 posts) -
Give it a chance! But you'll likely end up with buying a lot of gold, like I did... It's a non-thinking, relaxing and enjoyable game!
#16 Posted by stev69 (113 posts) -

Give it a chance! But you'll likely end up with buying a lot of gold, like I did... It's a non-thinking, relaxing and enjoyable game!SKYTT66

If you pay to win then yes its non thinking etc, if you play it free it takes a bit of work and is challenging, and thats what makes it worth playing. I haven't felt the need to purchase any gold. It can be a bit of a grind, if all you are interested in is advancement, but playing the lower tiers can be a lot of fun. Like any game you get out of it what you put into it, if you just throw cash at it you can be uber in no time at all but it takes more out of the game and results in less satisfaction imo.

#17 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

BarnaJon, dude, do kindly put that into a review article please. What huge f*cking walls of text.

#18 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

SKYTT66 and stev69, I would say that you are overlooking issues about how the game simplifies certain things about tanks and using fickle RNGs to compensate.

This is not a "pay-to-win" game - it's a "be-lucky-to-win" game.

#19 Posted by Johnny-Sniper (4 posts) -
Good god its like only bad@tanks players have posted here. To anyone who says win rate is all luck go do a basic stats course, to people who complain about pay to win, learn to play. There is no pay to win element in this game anymore with the addition of gold rounds for credits all paying will do is give you the ability to earn more credits and XP through premium and prem tanks.
#20 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Good god its like only bad@tanks players have posted here.Johnny-Sniper

So you are bad too then?

That said, that statement of yours gives a strong impression that you disregard the possibility that skilled players won't complain about the game. If that is so, you are naïve.

To anyone who says win rate is all luck go do a basic stats course...Johnny-Sniper

I would do that and yet the RNGs in the shot scatter, damage and penetration rolls of this game remain anyway.

Luck is still a big factor in World of Tank's gameplay. If you deny that, you are a shameless apologist.

That said, I have heard the "in the long-run, it evens out" argument about statistics before. I will tell you this:

Every time your shot that could have landed squarely on a juicy spot of an enemy tank scatters way off and hit something at the edge of your targeting cursor, you tell yourself that statement.

We will see how long you can convince yourself about this.

There is no pay to win element in this game anymore with the addition of gold rounds for credits all paying will do is give you the ability to earn more credits and XP through premium and prem tanks.Johnny-Sniper

Until Wargaming.net completes its "free-to-win" plans, anything exclusive to whales that affect gameplay or the meta-game will remain causes for "pay-to-win" or similar accusations.

#21 Posted by Johnny-Sniper (4 posts) -

[QUOTE="Johnny-Sniper"]Good god its like only bad@tanks players have posted here.Gelugon_baat

So you are bad too then?

Read that again and understand that the word have implies the past as apposed to are or will post. Due you know how people get better win rates? They use the fact that they are better to outperform other players even when RNG is against them. Also all players get the same RNG so over a large sample base it wouldn't have a noticeable effect.
#22 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Read that again and understand that the word have implies the past as apposed to are or will post.Johnny-Sniper

This is an excuse for an impulsive remark that is better off not made in the first place.

Due you know how people get better win rates?Johnny-Sniper

I know that - but the RNGs are still there. Luck remains a factor in the gameplay anyway. You can't deny this.

They use the fact that they are better to outperform other players even when RNG is against them. Also all players get the same RNG so over a large sample base it wouldn't have a noticeable effect.Johnny-Sniper

Again, that is the "long-run" argument repeated from the likes of you. It still won't change the fact that bad luck in one moment cannot be prevented with skill or familiarity.

Also, I will remind you again: just because a player is skilled in World of Tanks and can churn numbers that are far better than those of many others doesn't mean that this player won't complain about problems in the game.

#23 Posted by Johnny-Sniper (4 posts) -
[QUOTE="Gelugon_baat"] It still won't change the fact that bad luck in one moment cannot be prevented with skill or familiarity.

Prevented no but a good player will typically avoid situations where one moment of bad luck costs them there lives and/or the game.
#24 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Prevented no but a good player will typically avoid situations where one moment of bad luck costs them there lives and/or the game.Johnny-Sniper

Sure, but sooner or later, said player will have to fire shots - that's when the RNGs come in.

After all, the player can't do much of anything to alter the shell's direction once the shell comes out of the barrel, can he/she?

Aiming at something within the the targeting reticle is no guarantee that the shot will land on the target - it can land anywhere within the reticle.

That said, please, don't make the long-run argument again. I already know about the Gaussian distribution for dispersion, which doesn't prevent bad luck from scattering a shot once in a while - or several in a row in the case of really terrible luck.