For a self proclaimed real time strategy game, there isn't a lot of strategy unless you consider Zerg rushes strategy.

User Rating: 6 | World in Conflict (Collector's Edition) PC
I'm sorry to say it, but I honestly don't get the hype behind this game whatsoever. I've tried single player, wasn't impressed with it. So, I thought I'd try multiplayer as that seems to be where the games strength lies. Wasn't impressed with that either. Basically, there is no resource domination control. Sure, you are supposed to control waypoints on the map by endlessly zerg rushing your opponents, but come on, that gets old after a while. No base building, no nothing other than purchasing units and sending them into battle. In a way, it reminds me almost of Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, in that you don't control any resources, but instead engage in a mindless rush for domination. After you get over the graphics and spectacular nukes and other effects, you'll find the gameplay to leave a lot to be desired.

If you want a real STRATEGIC game, you'll need to look elsewhere. WiC is definitely not a thinking man's game.