Virtua Fighter 6 tidbits.

#1 Posted by foxhound1013 (126 posts) -

no this is not a confirmation of a new game but the Team Manager at Sega mentioned that some interesting info ^^

"Now that the Dead or Alive series has caught up with the Virtua Fighter series, people are wondering if SEGA is planning to pull ahead with a Virtua Fighter 6. Said Haneda, "Even if we were to make a Virtua Fighter 6, we would need it to have something to make it worthy of the number ?6' or we wouldn't be able to give it a number.""

so what is a worthy edition for the next VF game??

TAG TEAMS.

seriously they can revolutionize this idea and take it to the next level.

sure Tekken Tag 2 and DOA5 had tag modes, but i want to see from the grandfather of fighting games use this idea in mind.

imagine the possibility of teams like Akira/Goh or Sarah/Pai.

they also talk in the article that DOA is the offspring of VF.

"Dead or Alive was a series that was born because of Virtua Fighter, and the Virtua Fighter series has always been something we've kept aware of and seen as a target" Said Hayashi. "I've personally always seen Virtua Fighter as the parent and Dead or Alive as the offspring."

no offense to Hayashi, but Itagaki already said this since DOA1. not to mention your making it look like your the creator of the series which you are not.

http://kotaku.com/5921948/how-virtua-fighter-was-dead-or-alives-daddy

#2 Posted by Corrupted_Wolf (956 posts) -

Look, in all honesty, TAG would be the most unoriginal and possibly the worst way to approach Virtua Fighter 6.

First, it'll change the entire game mechanic and style. Have you ever noticed Tekken Tag series is being titled not as "Tekken 6.5 or Tekken 7" but as "Tekken Tag"?

That's because TAG is a completely different playstyle so it can't really carry on as the series' main franchise. It'll have to be a spinoff series Like Virtua Fighter: TAG. 

But there's a problem even to that idea which leads to....

Second. Even with all of it's quirks and fantasy, Virtua Fighter stands out as the most realitc fighting simulation in the market right now. TAG system would literally ruin that concept. Not to mention....

Third. How would TAG even work with all the intense frame calculations that this game requires? It would have to be instaneous  to make any tag worth doing. 

Fourth. Usually a tag game these days has to have at least 30+ characters. For Virtua Fighter, that'd be really hard to do because of it's effort for intense balancing.

Fifth, piggy backing from the statement above, balancing for TAG game play would be atrociously hard.

and FINALLY, Virtua Fighter 5 has enough problems in Japan already. No one plays and ton of people hate the game. This is because VF5 FS led the series to a wrong direction. It's simply not as tight and fun as VF:4 was. VF:4 was the perfect VF and VF5 didn't carry that through.

They are going to have to fix that - and their messed up arcade system that just robs people of their money - to win back their fanbase and have some funding to even make Virtua Fighter 6.

Fighting genre is dying out again because of market saturation by CAPCOM. (ironically they saved it in the first place) Only thing that's really holding it up right now is actually the Tekken franchise (>.> which sucks because I don't like series very much). There's no player base anymore for any other game than Tekken and SFIV.

If VF wants to join the fray again they are going to have to have a such fantastic game that it'll revitalize the community and win over fans from other games. 

#3 Posted by MOBS (1178 posts) -
TC. I dont know what orifice you pulled TAG out of. AM2 said they need something worthy of the name "VF6" That could mean several things, not necessarily tag. second you labeled your thread VF6 Tidbits, then provided NO VF6 TIDBITS WHATSOEVER /fail. Although I would like to see the tag team function added in the future.. As for Corrupted, "No one plays in Japan"? Are you stoned? VF5 has been in the Arcadia top ten in coin-op sales for 6 years. Get your facts straight .
#4 Posted by MagusC21 (2 posts) -

I think it would be awesome if they added about a dozen new characters with new fighting styles. It would be easy to do seeing as how there are a metric crap ton of different styles out there. It'd be nice to see new faces and it would be cool to see different styles come into play... Like...... Aikido, Jiu-Jitsu (Japanese or Brazilian), Tomtoi, Capoeira, Bokator, Tai Chi, Silat Pattani, Muay Boran, Sambo, MMA could be used too (modeled after a couple unique MMA fighters and blended into one so he has his own version of the style of course) Krav Maga, or even the Keysi Fighting Method.....Kapu Kuialua would be AWESOME to see too. Now some of those might be similar to the already existing martial arts but I think they are different enough to appeal to the fans and it would give the players a bunch of new characters to use and fall in love with like we already have with our current favorites.

Another idea would be adding a weapons mode into the game. You wouldn't have to make it the main playstyle of the game but it would definitely be neat to see the characters with there own weapons while still utilizing there base system. Obviously it would be difficult with a couple characters but not impossible... And if you could play as Vanessa with a baton or Lei-Fei with a staff.... It would just be cool to see... Especially if you found a way to make it work. There could even be a disarm system where the player who lost their weapon would have to revert back to their unarmed fighting style until they retrieve the weapon or the match is over. Or what if everybody could use everyone elses weapon in there own unique way!?!?!? Yea.... I know it wouldn't be the regular style and fans might not even like it who knows.... Just an idea...

Another idea would be maybe have a story mode? Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe if we shoot some stuff out we'll get lucky and someone with the means will make it happen.

#5 Posted by canderosn983 (22 posts) -

I am glad they are making sure it is the right time and right thing to do a VF6. Maybe that is what they mean by worthy.

Forget the Tag for VF. It would be nice but uhhhh, no. Let it be some spin off game (like VF:Tag) so if it is a fail, it wit won't ruin the series.

In my opinion, this is what VF needs

DO

-Give us graphics like we have never seen. Like they always do.

-Story mode. Come on AM2 made Shenmue.

-Bring back environment stages like in VF3

-Add subtle objects some arenas. Chairs, tables, lamps, poles that can fall over. Not cliffs and exploding things (DOA).

-Expand custimizations

-More modes (online & offline)

-Such as online hardcore (like it is now) and a online version with a SMALL perk system

-Such as offline traditional, TeamBattle, Survival, Mini games, again story.

-Redo all the stages in the series and add there original music to them. (talk about endless stages)

-More lighting effects and ambient settings. Or just more exotic ones.

-A very little blood & sweat

-I'd enjoy a silly VF6 Kids unlock

DON'T

-Simplify gameplay

-Add Weapons

-Add Tag

-Make it Cell Shade graphics

-Make it only in Japan then released later to the rest of the 6 billion people on earth

-Put in any characters from other games

-In-game arcade

#6 Posted by Godokuno_Dan (132 posts) -
Here's the thing about story mode. Sega won't do it. They are too single minded. They assemble a fight game dev team that is 100% talented in fighting game development. They don't give a cramp about story, and they spend their whole budget on balancing and perfecting the gameplay. They won't do it any other way. They want every last dollar of their budget spent on making it the best fighting game it can be. As good as VF games turn out , I can't argue with this methodology. I would like a story mode , but I can live without it. Just like some players of adventure games would like a multiplayer mode, but would live without it if it meant the dev team put out the best single player mode they can. Look at the VF 5 pachinko game ( clips are on YouTube). It's full of VF5 characters in cinemas. It makes it obvious Sega is capable of putting together cinematic s, Sega AM2 team simply doesn't want to. They think cinemas belong in a different type of game, like the Pachinko game. I think, Given Sega's mentality on the subject. Sega should make a Shenmue type game every two years focusing on a different VF character. That is the dream : and adventure game with cinemas, and cool, VF type fighting . I was at Sega Cup this year and everyone was hoping VF6 would get an announcement there. Unfortunately that didn't happen. What do I want for VF 6? A more balanced game for one: end the Jacky flipkick BS . Fix the god Damn hit boxes ( Gohs 3PP and others) . Get rid of the tracking strings. If part of your string gets evaded you should be at -4 because it takes you time to pivot and turn . Don't do anything more to Satisfy n00bs . N00bs should go play something else. Put in more bosses. Bring back Yu Suzuki as executive game director and producer. Katagir and Osaki aren't running VF into the ground, per se, but it is clear after VF 5 and Final Showdown that they don't have any new original ideas. They are either only anding minimal new gameplay elements or swapping in and out old ones.
#7 Posted by Godokuno_Dan (132 posts) -
Here's the thing about story mode. Sega won't do it. They are too single minded. They assemble a fight game dev team that is 100% talented in fighting game development. They don't give a cramp about story, and they spend their whole budget on balancing and perfecting the gameplay. They won't do it any other way. They want every last dollar of their budget spent on making it the best fighting game it can be. As good as VF games turn out , I can't argue with this methodology. I would like a story mode , but I can live without it. Just like some players of adventure games would like a multiplayer mode, but would live without it if it meant the dev team put out the best single player mode they can. Look at the VF 5 pachinko game ( clips are on YouTube). It's full of VF5 characters in cinemas. It makes it obvious Sega is capable of putting together cinematic s, Sega AM2 team simply doesn't want to. They think cinemas belong in a different type of game, like the Pachinko game. I think, Given Sega's mentality on the subject. Sega should make a Shenmue type game every two years focusing on a different VF character. That is the dream : and adventure game with cinemas, and cool, VF type fighting . I was at Sega Cup this year and everyone was hoping VF6 would get an announcement there. Unfortunately that didn't happen. What do I want for VF 6? A more balanced game for one: end the Jacky flipkick BS . Fix the god Damn hit boxes ( Gohs 3PP and others) . Get rid of the tracking strings. If part of your string gets evaded you should be at -4 because it takes you time to pivot and turn . Don't do anything more to Satisfy n00bs . N00bs should go play something else. Put in more bosses. Bring back Yu Suzuki as executive game director and producer. Katagir and Osaki aren't running VF into the ground, per se, but it is clear after VF 5 and Final Showdown that they don't have any new original ideas. They are either only anding minimal new gameplay elements or swapping in and out old ones.