I'm sorry guys, but this has to be one of the worst DayZ vids on the internet. Probably should have just named it "Running - Part 1". A for effort though, but I hope you guys read an faq before part 2
some developer really needs to make a AAA title based on this mod. It looks so entertaining, but it also seems too glitchy and rugged for me to want to buy arma 2 to play this.
One of my favorite things I learned the other day is that the V button is your best friend when in town around zombies. It allows you to "hop" over fences which flesh nomming zombies lack the ability to do giving you that much more distance between the two of you.
"I have ran a few feet, lets check if the zombies are still there and stand still while doing it" *facepalm* Why do gamespot employees always suck at games? Very few of them are decent in ANY Now playing or specials.Most of time we just cring watching them play.
You cant use group chat to communicate with people that arent in your squad! Use "<" or ">" to change to direct, global, side or command channels
From what I've seen, this game looks amazing. Too bad my computer can't run it. Does anyone know of a cheap computer with a good graphics card that will run this ArmA 2?
They said that 1 minute equals an hour in game, but the time in game moves at the pace of real life. Many servers the in game time stays the same as the location it is hosted in. So if I start playing on a server at 9pm and keep playing through to 5am (which often happens) it will be dark that whole time, with the sun beginning to rise.
The guy that made the mod made it on his own. After seeing his work he was hired by the developers onto their team.
went to go back to this but my antivirus wont let me repatch the old game (and bohemia support sucks). Still, this looks a bit slow for me anyways, and the ai looks like its pretty easy to manipulate if you turn a corner, or hop a fence.
I have too easy a time with the ai when they have guns, much less when they dont, and have to rely on spawning on top of you...
A useful thing i learnt very early on playing this mod was to follow power cables, they should lead you to a power station full of tasty treats. I was fortunate enough to find a shotgun+torch loads of ammo and medical supplies. That was until somebody shot me in the back of the head.
Secondly beware ladders i tried climbing down some once, when I reached the bottom, I died from fall damage.
if you havent tried it, try the editor mode withing the game, you can design your on BAttlefield 3 game, you can design your own mlitary briefings, you can design any ANY military situation you can think of. Its incredible. Not just this mod, the game on the whole, has so much to offer. I hope some people actually try out the editor mode in the real ARMA 2 game.
bout time ARMA 2 got some friggin mainstream recognition.
Id recommend you to try the editor mode. You can do ANYTHING.
The best part about everyone buying Arma 2 to play DayZ is that a lot of that money is going directly to Arma 3 which will either include its own version of DayZ or Bohemia will be releasing DayZ as its own entity. I personally think they should do the latter, if they worked together with the creator to realize the potential of a retail DayZ using the Arma 3 engine, they could have the next CS on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRQ3vFkh_c&list=UUROp--Hg_j2ocY-XYh8L68w&index=3&feature=plcp take the time to watch this video and you will save yourself a lot of heartache, steep learning curve.
Tip No.1 Turn off the head bob or you will get sea sick and choke to death on your own vomit! Otherwise a pretty cool mod, love it
This mod has a world of potential, but unfortunately it's a big mess right now. The ArmA 2 engine is already full of bugs and the default controls are horribly unintuitive. When you combine that with this mod in its alpha state, you get an experience that you wish was far more technically playable. That being said, I have high hopes that most of the issues will get weeded out. I also hope other game companies take a look a good look at this mod - we need more realistic survival horror!
The greatest mod for any game ever made. And it's still in Alpha too, not even close to being finished.
Well from my Dayz experience, here are some basic tips for anyone playing Dayz:
1) Assume most players are hostile. People will shoot for almost no reason.
2) Zombies slow down to a walk when they enter buildings. Use this to headshot any you agro. Also don't have a firefight outside if you can help it, because zombie AI pathfinding makes it hard to shoot a running zombie.
3) Building collision can be glitchy. Be careful zombies don't walk or attack through walls and surprise you (though a recent patch lessened this issue)
4) Zombies spawn next to buildings when you near them (starting from roughly 200m or so Id say) This means cities and towns have a LOT of zombies.
5) Its safer to play in walk mode (2x shift). This way, you hold shift to run. Running attracts zombies, so if you're going to run, crouch run, and slow down to a walk if zeds are nearby. Prone crawling is GREAT to sneaking by groups of zombies.
6) Guns are loud and attract zombies (and players). Avoiding shooting things if possible. Bigger the gun, louder it gets (never use the 'Leeroy' Enfield for this reason).
7) Learn which building types are enterable (since not all are). These buildings are reused in every town, allowing you to gauge whether entering a town is worth it.
8) Don't go swimming with your gear, or you lose it (Arma 2 engine limitation, I hope this gets patched)
9) Have patience, and find a friend to play with. Much more enjoyable with friendly folks who won't try and shoot you.
idk y people record themselves playing when they have no idea what there doing. I mean if you don't even no how to equip a weapon you shouldn't play the game. Play the single player first and figure out how to play, then go in a fight some zombies
This is one of best game/mods ever, they call it zombie survival game but its mostly about sneakig around and killing other people (at least for me). Its the social aspect that makes this game popular, not coop zombie action. Everyone can kill you, every minute counts, no safety , giant map. Its only alpha and this mod is amazing already! Killing newbies that cant find a weapon, sneaking behind sniper and stealing all his equipment that took him 10+ hours to get... no other game offers that. Im happy fellow gamers support inovation.
@Epicurus-Reborn Well, it's in pre-alpha right now, so yeh, it's buggy as hell. But they did announce that they were turning it into a standalone game
@Epicurus-Reborn Couldn't agree more. It's very rough around the edges right now, with a horrible inventory system and zombies that move like spastic Olympic sprinters. I'm hoping this team just tightens it up a lot before it's official release, because I doubt any big studio would leave the harshness of this game in place. It's the permadeath that really makes it work.
thats jus cuz its live
Try CyberpowerPc. You can get half decent machines relatively cheap there.
@harvard17 build one or just buy a graphics card to upgrade your system
@TKavney92 It used to be that you started with a handgun. That is no longer true. You have to play it real slow 'n' quiet when you first start while you find weapons and supplies.
@Tixylixx Sorry about that! It bugged me too, so we've come up with a better audio solution for future installments.
@Toysoldier34 That kind of blows
@Crush_Project Zombies are the least of your problems in DayZ
ill stick with oa on steam that i dont have to worry about, and play insurgency maps/mods. Still play that game a few times a week.
@keyb0red The game would be frustrating to play with a normal game controller because there are so many controls you have for your character. It just wouldn't feel right or would need to be extremely simplified, and that is after they take the time to port it to consoles, which they won't do.
The engine for the game isn't the most optimized so it wouldn't run well on console anyways.
@N1mble Also I turn off post processing effects to reduce all the motion blur, game looks and plays better that way for me.
I forgot to mention...
10) The loot system is buggy. Never try to swap out gear (mainly an issue with other guns) by directly switching it with your own. This can cause loot (such as precious ammo) to disappear. Always manually place your important items on the ground first, THEN enter a loot pile and pick up the new items. Also, you sometimes drop ammo not used with your main weapon when you pick up a toolbelt item (flashlight, hatchet, compass, map, etc), so be sure to manually pick the dropped ammo back up again.
I get it that you like killing other players, but what fun is it to kill newbs that don't know how to play?
@AlmityGuitarist It makes the game better, you can find servers at all hours so no matter what time of day you are playing you can still play day or night. I prefer playing with game time just after sunset normally. It allows me to see just fine but zombies have reduced vision. Though recently I play on the darkest servers I can since I have night vision goggles. It would be frustrating if it was constantly changing time and I ned to move servers often.
@DefconShazbot ya and all my buddies are playing it so i feel left out lol.
@Alexanderone yea I agree with you that would be an awful experience trying to play an Arma game on a console. I remember that game made my old Q6600 cry. So happy that i7's exist now.
@Alexanderone Nonsense. Flashpoint elite worked on the xbox 1. With a mission editor, expansion packs, multiple landscapes etc...etc
11) You can 'lose' zombies by LOS'ing (line of sight) them. This can be done by running through a maze of buildings or trees, breaking line of sight, and then slowing to a crouch run or walk. Zombies will often run to the last spot the saw or heard you at and then de-agro. Doesn't always work perfectly, so be sure to hold left alt to look behind you while running!
@Falzonn Man, thanks a bunch. Awesome pointers.