@BravoOneActual "Captain America was surprisingly good." Exactly what I thought as I expected the worst from the bad scores it got; however, many of its subtleties haven't even been noticed by the critics. E.g., also the music score that hasn't even been nominated in the GS 2011 awards, despite of their having been featuring the composer in summer. It seems, without Sophia Tong music is lost, what a pity! Btw, also the DS version of the game is good, a rewarding mixture of fight-based action, puzzles, comic strip-like dialogues... "All military shooters were surprisingly mediocre." Well, I don't agree with this as for me the BF3-MW3 rivalry has been the player universe's climax of the year... "Motorstorm, for all it's quality, went surprisingly unnoticed." This might be due to the paralleled real-world catastrophe in Japan that made playing this game a little frivolous... "Adam Jensen" -- At least I prefer him to Shadow of the Damned's silly Garcia (cabron!)...
As this is the 1st anniversary of my GS inscription, I dare adding my own list of 2011 Best Ofs to the 10000 other ones published these days...
- Action/Adventure - Batman: Arkham City (X360)
- RPG - What? No, honestly, I didn't do any role-playing in 2011 except some of the yet older Bioware ones...
- Racing - Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
- Fighting - Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)
- Military Shooter - Battlefield 3 (PC)
- Modern Shooter - Crysis 2 (X360)
- Sports - FIFA 12 Soccer (PC)
- Platforming - Sonic Generations (PS3)
- Graphics - Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (X360)
- Music Score - Captain America (Bill Brown - cf. http://www.gamespot.com/features/sound-byte-meet-the-composer-of-captain-america-bill-brown-6323267/)
- Storyline - Homefront (John Milnius - X360)
- New Character - Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution - X360)
- Female Character - Trishka (Bulletstorm - PC)
- Downloadable - Outland (PS3)
- Game Nobody Liked - Mindjack (X360)
- Best-timed release - Skyrim (X360)
- DS - Captain America: Super Soldier
- X360 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- PS3 - The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
- PC- Battlefield 3
- Mobile - The Sims FreePlay (IP)
GOTY - Battlefield 3, as to me 2011 is the year in which Battlefield won the battle against Call of Duty...
Captain America was surprisingly good. All military shooters were surprisingly mediocre. Motorstorm, for all it's quality, went surprisingly unnoticed. Adam Jensen is an excellent, modern take on the Dirty Harry vibe and if they don't continue to price Deus Ex DLC in the stratosphere, I'll be all in for any future installments featuring him.
@iowastate ICO: actually I preferred SOTC, for all its atmoshpere; I even had the possibility to see the game when it was about to being ported to the PS3 (while having the PS2 edition). FIFA is called "Football" in Europe --and this is all what matters-- and immensely popular here in Spain; FCB's Lionel Messi also is the new star of the Street football edition now... -- Btw, what's your "favorite side"...?
ICO was a great game - you can tell FIFA is made by an American company since they call the game FIFA soccer instead of FIFA Football:P I still enjoy the game, especially since they added lower tier leagues so I can play my favourite side - Wednesday who are now in the third tier, the lowest ever. But if they can continue to play well for the rest of the season they have a good chance of promotion. I have learned not to get to excited about them over the years though.