Very Hard Difficulty, Siege, 4.5:1 odds AGAINST

#1 Posted by Squeets (8184 posts) -

AND I WAS THE ONE ATTACKING.  I though CA went on and on about the AI flanking and doing this and that and blah, blah, blah...

I attacked with an army of five Perioikoi Hoplites and two archers... 1040 Men.  Against a city with 4560 defenders spread across four different armies.

I moved two of my Hoplites to a narrow corridor in the city, put them in a phalanx... Lined two more up behind them to reinforce.  Positioned my archers behind them.  And my general in the rear to protect the flank (which I assumed would be my downfall)...

Wave after wave ran into my phalanx... Were pushed back... I took out one of their generals early with archers... They just kept throwing themselves into my line... After the main defense force was routed I switched the position of the reserve Hoplites with those on the front (they were reduced to about 30% strength)... Once again the other three armies threw themselves into my guys... By the end I routed every single enemy unit without losing any of my own (during the battle, my general fell so his unit was disbanded following the battle)... Each of my Hoplites had upwards of 500-600 kills each... My archers at like 500-600 between the two...

Not one single enemy unit walked around the outside of the city or even the next street down to come around behind my guys...

I mean... Wtf?

And then the game had the nerve to tell me that it was a Pyrrhic Victory... After I just killed nearly six times what I lost myself and took the city:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5008/3loj.png

#2 Posted by GONtheSKYLORD (3026 posts) -
Yeah the main focus of this game is doing battle on the field so if that's broken, the whole game is broken. You can use the same cookie cutter strategy for every battle. There's no variation so that eliminates the "strategy" part of it for me. You can also defend a city with no walls and nothing but garrison against an army of 5k if you just kill their general and keep yours alive. It's way too easy to trap the general too. This to me also makes a lot of the military tech and buildings useless because you don't even need stat upgrades.