Splitting Forces

#1 Posted by Grape1950 (19 posts) -

Is there a way to split an army in a city, and move half of the army to another city, and yet leave the remainder in the current city?

#2 Posted by sextus1 (740 posts) -

Don't hold me to this but I think the answer is NO. This is why the game spawns a garrison force over time depending on the size and overall developement of the city or town. I have one l city that spawned 11 armies in no time at all and yet the smaller town of Alalia is still stitting at around 4 units with a couple of naval ships in reserve. I wonder if the devs. figured that each conquest should take at least 20 turns to build a site and therefore gilve you some decent numbers to defend with. I have held of moderate armies with the garrison of 14 units but, like some one told me a week ago, place your standing armies in strategic places as a rescue force if needed. I will gladly sltand corrected if someone else has discovered the secret on splitting.

Sic volvere Parcas " So spin the Fates".

#3 Posted by GONtheSKYLORD (3026 posts) -

Is there a way to split an army in a city, and move half of the army to another city, and yet leave the remainder in the current city?

Grape1950
You can spawn a 2nd general in the same town as the army you want to split. Then select a unit and right click on the 2nd general. You can't have armies without generals in this game.
#4 Posted by sextus1 (740 posts) -

I'm really not sure just why you would want to split forces unless you are in a hurry to expand your empire. This game is based upon the tech trees and patience, at least the way I play it. It takes awhile after conquoring a region to build up a decent garrison force and once you have the Defensive Artillary tech mastered I have no problem in moving my army out and into the countryside to do more mayhem. I decided in this campaign to go North and take out all the tribes there with 6 armies; holding 3 back for protection and eventual expansion to the East. In one provincial capital subdued I had 12 garrison units plus 8 defensive artys with an invading force of a like number of warriors. The wall artillary combined with 6 velite units raised havoc wth the invaders and the city was saved with just a garrison complement.

Sic volver Parcas " So spin the Fates".