Anyone of You Wary of Cheaters in Torchlight II?

#1 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

I opened this thread to reflect some concerns that have been highlighted over at GameFAQs.

As you may know, Runic Games decided that the game should be as customer-friendly as possible, so data for characters are saved client-side.

0.jpg

Debug modes are even easier to exploit.

But of course, those of you that have suffered bitter experiences with cheaters would know that this lets unscrupulous players alter said data.

Personally, I refuse to play with cheaters - I exit the game immediately, but not before attempting to instigate a vote-kick. Usually, it works, but sometimes it's the server administrator himself/herself that is cheating, or someone close to another player that happens to have admin powers. (When this happens in games that I play, I blacklist the server.)

(Note: I am actually more tolerating of subtler means of cheating, such as slightly higher stats that may not be immediately apparent and difficult to prove as cheating. But I am definitely against very obvious alterations, like ridiculous damage output. Complaints about these are much harder to counter and dismiss as the whining of a sore loser.)

Yes, I am aware that as long as the character saves remain client-side, there will always be cheating, and this is going to hurt the longevity of the game. However, I have to admit that I don't fancy a game enough that I would care about its longevity.

I don't know about you though. What would you do if you encounter cheaters?

#2 Posted by PlasmaBeam44 (9052 posts) -

Yeah, that's why I play alone or in a locked server with only friends.

#3 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Yeah, that's why I play alone or in a locked server with only friends.

PlasmaBeam44

Are you still playing the original?

#4 Posted by TheCaveRat (3672 posts) -
I'm going to say the same thing I said back when Borderlands was coming out. If you're afraid of cheaters play alone or with friends, it's that simple.
#5 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Well, what happens if your friends cheat too? Or you suspect them of cheating? Even friends would cheat at a video game, especially because it is just a video game.

#6 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7897 posts) -
Why does it matter that people are cheating in a single player focused game with co-op elements?
#7 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Why does it matter that people are cheating in a single player focused game with co-op elements?Pvt_r3d

Ever joined a game where the host creates a game for people to join but just thunders forward with his/her altered player character, leaving other player characters in the dust?

"Co-op" indeed.

#8 Posted by c4l1d3n (151 posts) -

Playing with random people is something I just don't do often anymore. People ___!

#9 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19479 posts) -

Playing with random people is something I just don't do often anymore. People ___!

c4l1d3n

Playing with people you know isn't a guarantee that you will have a good time either. ;)

#10 Posted by numairullah (18 posts) -
Well so far several people have tried to show you the good side of things and you are still wary. My advice, DONT PLAY the game in Multi at all. If you friends are the types to cheat like little wankers then you need new friends. if you get smoked so fast your dust, invest more time and learn to spec your class correctly for maximum damage.
#11 Posted by Hydrafiend (1305 posts) -

Lets hope IGN doesn't post a series of articles showing peoplle how to hack and dupe like they have done with Borderlands 2.

#12 Posted by GraveI (19 posts) -

lol "showing people how to hack and dupe".  It's as simple as copying and renaming your save file.  Derp.

#13 Posted by jeffkretz (29 posts) -

Playing with people you know isn't a guarantee that you will have a good time either. ;)

Gelugon_baat

Maybe you should get some better friends. I always have fun with mine no matter what game we're playing.

#14 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]Why does it matter that people are cheating in a single player focused game with co-op elements?Gelugon_baat

Ever joined a game where the host creates a game for people to join but just thunders forward with his/her altered player character, leaving other player characters in the dust?

"Co-op" indeed.

So? Just look for another game. Especially in games where there is no competetive Online it's very rare to meet cheaters. And if so, no harm for me either. As said before, I'll just look for another server then. And if they want to "play" like that, well, let them, they don't harm anybody when competetive isn't available anyways.