What kind of game will be, Need some help (answers) before making a pre order

#1 Posted by blackbartblues (25 posts) -

Hi, I need some information or answers about the game before making a pre order and avoiding to make a mistake, I watch a lot of videos but still don't understand what kind of game is this new tomb rider in terms of gameplay and mechanics. 

I play all the past tomb raiders since i have a Saturn, and the uncharted saga, but this new tomb  looks like a lot of things, you can level up, hunt for food, make a camp, took some mechanics from uncharted (like uncharted in his time took mechanics from tomb rider), but in the end what is this game, a sand box type, or will be separated by stage or chapters, will be linear or open ended, for some reasons some videos remind me of metal gear solid 3 (the hunt for food, the camp,  etc) . But I dont understand what game is this, someone can enlighten me before making a decision.

Thanks

#2 Posted by MegandDia128 (1550 posts) -

it looks very much like surviaval to me and alot of action. I think it takes elemetns from Uncharted, as well as Metal Gear Solid 3. I'm liking the look of this game each time I see a new trailer for it.

#3 Posted by ZaoQuan (44 posts) -

I am actually wondering the same? I have always held an interest in Tomb Raider from playing it back on the first playstation. Although from what I see of this game it is little to do with the original. Which was solving many puzzles and having to do many jumps to reveal plenty of secret areas. Fighting many hard bosses usually some type of demon or animal.

What I can see here is a rather short campaign 16ish hours made up largely of cinematics. Not much problem or puzzle solving. Pre-determined action levels with plenty to kill and level up. Many guns and weapons, survival in this sentence yea right? Multiplayer has extended the playable gametime. In a game which was only ever about the story and adventure. I play GOW or another 100 shooters for that experience and they often to do it alot better.

I eagerly await BIO SHOCK INFINITE AND GTA for the true SOLO experience and their great story based gameplay.

#4 Posted by adamg78 (636 posts) -

I think this game will be more like a servival action kind of game where you have to teach yourself to no how to servive and learn new skills to do so when you progress through the game. the game  looks amazing and just by trailers its looking like a 9.5 game and its looking epic like  uncharted  

#5 Posted by ZaoQuan (44 posts) -

A 9.5 game sure yea right. There are very few games I give would ever give that rating to. One would have to be, GTA I liked San Andreas, there are plenty more games in mind Deus EX another and few others. Recently though Games are so over rated mainly due to the kids reviewing them and the way these reviewers have merited games. What does 10 out of 10 mean, please consider this? There really can't be many that fall under that rating at all. So by using a gauge to the proper effect of rating. A 9 rating or above should be reserved for those awesome, elite, error free, hours of game play, truly great, original or even better games. Last year a 9 rating was given on FAR CRY 3, XCOM and a few others. Seriously FC3 was boring and repetitive as hell. Yes it had gametime if you bothered doing the same thing over and over again by definition of insanity to bore you stupid mainly from collecting all those pointless collectibles. Trails of the Raykat was about the only great thing in that game. XCOM was full of annoying errors, also was a very short game and campaign in comparison to other Firaxis or XCOM games, not much in the way of randomness to the levels which where repeated many times, few UFO encounters etc. I really do wish people would take the time to actually consider what a 10 out of 10, or a 9 out of 10 actually means. The only 10 out 10 game I can think of at the minute is FFVII the rest of the series suffered from decline on that epicness, I am sure there are others to each individuals taste.

Uncharted was a good game. This is Tomb Raider though. With these game designers in there DEMO's saying campaign at approx 16 hours and each DEMO scene showing mostly cinematic cutscrenes. I really do ask myself why would I bother playing a game I can complete in a week? Yes there is multiplayer. Although honestly I would rather play any other shooter for that Multiplayer experience with there many more diverse multiplayer modes and maps. This games multiplayer would probably have me level to 50 or something, playing about 3 or so different modes.

#6 Posted by blackbartblues (25 posts) -
After watching the Tomb Raider - Guide to Survival #3: Survival Combat video, finally I understand something about the game, If I'm not wrong is a sandbox, you can use fast travel within the island after discovering places and level up skills and weapons, hunt for food etc, I hope the game include some hard puzzles and not put a big focus In action, but for what I saw, action is the main component here in a very uncharted style, but I make the preorder yesterday anyway.
#7 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

After watching the Tomb Raider - Guide to Survival #3: Survival Combat video, finally I understand something about the game, If I'm not wrong is a sandbox, you can use fast travel within the island after discovering places and level up skills and weapons, hunt for food etc, I hope the game include some hard puzzles and not put a big focus In action, but for what I saw, action is the main component here in a very uncharted style, but I make the preorder yesterday anyway.blackbartblues

I've been watching the walkthroughs on YouTube and someone described it as possible being a linear sandbox, which I assume means that the game is linear but allows you to explore the area you are in, and any areas around camps you have already found.  Although as I say this is the guy making the video's opinion.

Personally it looks to be more like Uncharteredthan the classic Tomb Raider games, although I think the mix of influences and styles of play is not a bad thing as there is enough variety to keep you interested and unlike say RE6, there don't appear to be as many quick time events as people may have claimed.