Tomb Raider or Far Cry 3/

#1 Posted by varunsethrocks (9 posts) -

I know they are different genres, but i gotta decide on 1. I like 3rd person games more than fps games. But i have also played all of the uncharted games, and im worried this will be a bit too similar. Explain your suggestion please. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by heavenscurse (1 posts) -

well i have played both. i am in 3hrs in on tomb raider and about 65% complete in far cry and i would def recommend far cry 3. its a better game play in mechanics graphics and story. and there is so much side mission you will please with the replay value. but thats just my opinion as a gamer 

#3 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

well i have played both. i am in 3hrs in on tomb raider and about 65% complete in far cry and i would def recommend far cry 3. its a better game play in mechanics graphics and story. and there is so much side mission you will please with the replay value. but thats just my opinion as a gamer 

heavenscurse
I would have to disagree. I thought Far Cry 3 was awesome up until the second half, and then the game pulled a complete 180 and I hated it. The game's main character is probably one of the least likable protagonists ever, and the second half of the story is awful. Tomb Raider has a somewhat predictable story, but it is highly enjoyable, and the new Lara is an extremely likable protagonist, one of the best in recent memory. This game is similar to Uncharted in many ways, but it's still a great game in its own right. If you are really set on playing an open world game, I would say go for Far Cry 3, otherwise, I would consider Tomb Raider the better game.
#4 Posted by rgdfglfhgkh (62 posts) -
i
I would have to disagree. I thought Far Cry 3 was awesome up until the second half, and then the game pulled a complete 180 and I hated it. The game's main character is probably one of the least likable protagonists ever, and the second half of the story is awful. Tomb Raider has a somewhat predictable story, but it is highly enjoyable, and the new Lara is an extremely likable protagonist, one of the best in recent memory. This game is similar to Uncharted in many ways, but it's still a great game in its own right. If you are really set on playing an open world game, I would say go for Far Cry 3, otherwise, I would consider Tomb Raider the better game. 4-Legged-Shark
+1
#5 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

Lol 65% complete in three hours. what a liar. i never played far cry 3 (looks awesome) but tomb raider is MUST PLAY ill tell you that much 

#6 Posted by xslayerlive (248 posts) -
I just bought both, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. I'll say that if you can only get one in the near future I'd suggest Far Cry 3, simply for its replay value and the countless hours you'll inevitably waste away playing it. Tomb Raider is pure quality in short, if you want something short term Tomb Raider!! If its gonna be a few months till you can get the other game, go Far Cry 3.
#7 Posted by hockeyfreak84 (23 posts) -

far cry 3 for the game length, tomb raider for the epicness and great adventure

#8 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2410 posts) -

It's different enought from Uncharted.  Lara is a better character than Drake, but the supporting cast is a mixed bag, and when it goes wrong it's obvious since they want you to care about characters that are plain annoying.  But other than that the island is better than the environmnets in Uncharted, the tone is great outside of the rest of the characters, and there are very intense moments that make you feel for Lara.

Now, Far Cry 3 has pretty much bad characters all around but the two islands are fully open and there is a lot to collect and upgrade.  The story is also kind of bad, but again, exploring is the main draw to the game and it definitely shows.

Far Cry 3 has more in terms of content, but if you want a tighter experience with a dark tone that shows a character develop naturally then Tomb Raider is for you.

Or just wait for a sale and get both, because both are definitely worth playing, just ignore they have online play, because it's not worth playing.

#9 Posted by narutit (1 posts) -

[QUOTE="heavenscurse"]

4-Legged-Shark

I would have to disagree. I thought Far Cry 3 was awesome up until the second half, and then the game pulled a complete 180 and I hated it. The game's main character is probably one of the least likable protagonists ever, and the second half of the story is awful. Tomb Raider has a somewhat predictable story, but it is highly enjoyable, and the new Lara is an extremely likable protagonist, one of the best in recent memory. This game is similar to Uncharted in many ways, but it's still a great game in its own right. If you are really set on playing an open world game, I would say go for Far Cry 3, otherwise, I would consider Tomb Raider the better game.

This. Far Cry does a better job on making the game looks exciting, just look at the sunset, the scenery, the firefighting, the missions and the collectible but the characters and the story make it annoying.

i think Tomb Raider is better. Admit it. Falling down is very different when Lara does it. She is a new, fresh, tough beauty type. The story? It's not good or bad, but at least it gives us a credible beginning of Lara Croft dual wielding gun. One of Tomb Raider's flaw is, it doesn't have high replayability and various mission like Far Cry.

and one more.

This is the biggest flaw of Far Cry3 that Tomb Raider doesn't have.

[spoiler] Endings of far cry3 left me saying,"JUST LIKE THAT?" while Tomb Raider giving me hope of a better, lengthier sequel. [/spoiler]

#10 Posted by Crits (2025 posts) -

Far Cry 2. You gotta bless the rains down in Africa, and take some time to do the things we never had.

#11 Posted by KaY_86 (280 posts) -
TR is a must
#12 Posted by resident_jisen (345 posts) -
i`ve played and beat both games and to be honest give me tomb raider any day.the only advanrage far cry 3 has is the large open world over tomb raider.
#14 Posted by andruxandd (138 posts) -

There are two different good games...but TR is something you never see everyday or farcry3 is just a fps and nothing more...

Tombraider is the best, no doubt...

#15 Posted by BigJackBauer (151 posts) -

I own both and have to say, both are superb. That said, if you're after a lengthy experience, Far Cry 3 is the way to go. It's not that Tomb Raider is a short game - took me eleven hours and if memory serves, I had a completion rate of about 77% (meaning I'd missed tombs, collectibles etc), not to mention I did rush it a little since my gaming opportunities are fewer these days - but Far Cry 3 is simply a large game, perhaps slower pace and with more optional missions.

Difficult to recommend one over the other though. I'd say take the plunge and pick one, then pick up the other at the earliest opportunity.

#16 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -

I know this thread started two weeks ago but Farcry 3 is on sale at Best Buy for 29.99. Just bought it yesterday.

#17 Posted by PunkStream (61 posts) -

Lol 65% complete in three hours. what a liar. i never played far cry 3 (looks awesome) but tomb raider is MUST PLAY ill tell you that much 

SNESNOSTALGIA2

He said 3 hours into TOMB RAIDER and 65% through FAR CRY 3. Don't be a jerk if you can't read properly. 

#18 Posted by JDFS (632 posts) -

Far Cry 3. Without second thought.

Tomb Raider is a good game but not a great one FC3 is a great game.

If you want to play 50 + hours for 60 bucks... go for Far Cry 3 you have A LOT more replayability and value, TR is just another linear action game with average graphics nothing more.

#19 Posted by resident_jisen (345 posts) -

Far Cry 3. Without second thought.

Tomb Raider is a good game but not a great one FC3 is a great game.

If you want to play 50 + hours for 60 bucks... go for Far Cry 3 you have A LOT more replayability and value, TR is just another linear action game with average graphics nothing more.

JDFS
i hope your aware farcry 3 is linear to.the story missons have a set path you must follow. as for replay of farcry3 all the mission in it are the same over and over again.the only thing that changes is the enemies reactions to you.