So far so AMAZING

#1 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (409 posts) -

I'm about 71% complete with Tomb Raider and this is the best single player campaign I've played in years. I see why everyone is so blown away by it. It's funny because there was a point about halfway through when I though the game was done. So to keep it going for so long is a pleasant surprise. So far I've been playing for close to 20 hours - I don't rush through games - this game is hella long. Im not sure ill go back and platinum this game either (Just don't see the point) but I can promise you that the journey will stay with me long after the controller is put down. And I haven't even beaten it yet. LOL. So yea I just wanted to randomly gush about it and I hope everyone else is enjoying it too. I have some gripes here and there (this game is a mess sometimes and IMO very unbalanced) but who cares when the sum of the parts is this good. I heard sales are good too so that means we will definitely be getting a sequel. just the thought of that makes me happy. I still refuse to touch the multiplayer for fear of ruining the good taste in my mouth left by this awesome sauce of a game. 

#2 Posted by BigJackBauer (151 posts) -
Fantastic game. I've posted this on another topic but I'll post it here too - Tomb Raider seems to have taken elements from Resident Evil 4, Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum / City and it all leads to a great game since everything about it seems extremely satisfying. I'm particularly impressed with the combat (partly why I mention Resident Evil 4). I've heard a few people complain that it immediately becomes obvious that you're going to engage enemies since Lara's stance changes (in to a crouch and cover style). I personally don't have a problem with this. Granted, takes away the 'surprise' but then it's exciting and pretty visceral.
#3 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (409 posts) -

That's a great comparison man. I haven't posted since beating the game (busy with monster hunter) but I should've... The ending was AMAZING and oh so satisfying - went down like homemade chicken noodle Soup. ***** SPOILER: I love how you kill the final boss with dual pistols ****** that is such a crazy awesome nod to the earlier titles and really cemented what a labor of love the game is. Sure there were some buggy things but I could care less - I downloaded the game to my PS3 to add it to me ever growing digital library. unbelievable game and I still never even tried multiplayer cause again i refuse to spoil the memory lol. I did watch the dev diary videos afterwards and they made me appreciate the game even more so - I recommend watching them. 

#4 Posted by BigJackBauer (151 posts) -
I downloaded it to my 360 (got a PS3 but I've only got a few exclusives for it) since I figured it'd cut on the loading times etc and glad I did. I actually overestimated how much I'd completed - it's actually 71% over the course of about twelve hours. Considering I ever so slightly rushed it (on normal difficulty), I think that's a very respectable length. The fact you've had even more time out of it can only be a good thing. I'm currently just making my way through the actual 'tomb raiding' and trying to get the handgun upgrades which I somehow missed. Got the upgrades for everything bar that weapon. Something I feel I have to comment on is the fact the weapons actually have a good feel to them. Even the sound when Lara draws her pistol and the speed have 'impact'. I'm going to play through it again as soon as I get the chance but I receive Bioshock Infinite next week so no doubt that'll take over for the time being. Can't imagine that being a disappointment either.
#5 Posted by resident_jisen (340 posts) -
i beat the game with 94% on my first play through.i loved the game so much i played it again with and beat it with 100% now i`m on my third play through. this game is what i call the ultimate tomb raider game.at least for me it is.i`ve played mp with it and it`s rather fun.i`m getting the sequel no matter what.
#6 Posted by ninjanutta (179 posts) -

Yep,Brilliant game,im playing on pc and its amazing to the point of being better than uncharted which is my fav series of all time.

Im really hoping for more of the same in this series now,be a damb shame if it dont carry on.

10/10 for me.

#7 Posted by RAvEcREAToR23 (79 posts) -

yes surprisingly new tr best game of all time ...

#8 Posted by Poordevil (185 posts) -

Great game! Never played any other Tomb Raider to compare nor  have I played any Uncharted game. So this is all new to me! Best 3D action game Ive played since Metal Gear 3 Snake Eater. What got me to try it at launch was the Bow, and sure enough it is my favorite weapon. Game has a great balance of exploring, discovery, platforming, stealth, puzzle solving and combat. I say 'great' balance not 'perfect' because I think it is a little heavy on the shooting and melee combat, and light on stealth options and puzzles. Still a great balance over all though, and lots of fun!

I still have yet to complete it, but I have taken the PT boat up river and reached the "point of no return". All through the game I have been fast traveling and revisiting old haunts. which is a very fun way to find salvage for upgrading weapons.

#9 Posted by Hydrafiend (1305 posts) -

I would have to agree one of the best sp games I have ever played.

#10 Posted by Paoksis (479 posts) -

the single player campaign is really a blast and its lengthier than most games out there...also there are a lot relics and documents all over the place to be found which can keep you busy,although it lasted me nowhere to 20hours,more like 12 hours or so....what amazes me is how good are the graphics and how well they run on my pc

if i could change one thing on this game,would be the QTE which most of them suck completely...if they would have been cutscenes,it would  have been completely fine,but pressing buttons to continue  a cutscene is lame

#11 Posted by Poordevil (185 posts) -

Rolled the credits on this game the other day. I agree the QTE's could be given the ax for the next installment. And there sure as heck better be a next installment!

I loved playing this game, from beginning to end I enjoyed myself. Talking single player only, I never bothered with multi.  I am  traveling back through the early levels doing the challenges and collecting items I left behind. This is fun too. I am finding areas of the game I never saw before. There is platforming and exploring I missed pushing through the campaign. I am even finding a few enemies to take on. Don't know if they respawned or if they are guys I missed. I am coming up on 20 hours.

#12 Posted by adamg78 (636 posts) -

yeah I agree fantastic game I just wish the game wasent so easy playing it in hard mode was a piece of cake  

#13 Posted by yourmate (165 posts) -
Yeah this is my favorite game in a long time. The thing I probably like most is the constant auto saving because I never have to re-do much if I die.
#14 Posted by swamptick (1965 posts) -

I agree. The game is awesome. 

#15 Posted by jeffmonster (511 posts) -

Haha.......I feel the same way. I just bought it yesterday, I think I'm getting close to the end. Best game I've played in years. Reminds me of Uncharted except it's better in just about every way imaginable. I didn't really even give this game any thought when it came out. I'm blown away. I just had to check out the message board to see if I was the only one......haha.......guess not.

#16 Posted by 5UPERMARIO (1201 posts) -

Best game Ive played in years. Probably the last time I was blown away buy a game in this magnitude was when Resident Evil 4 came out. The first time I played Bioshock came close too.

As for Uncharted I just sold all three of them, just keeping this.

#17 Posted by GONtheSKYLORD (3026 posts) -
The game is ok, but the camera shaking all the time is annoying as hell.
#18 Posted by skipper847 (3000 posts) -

Yeah just playing it now but they nicked some of the story from a TV series.

#19 Posted by yearssomuch (54 posts) -

When I first seen true gameplay footage of this, it was really easy to dismiss it as a multi-platform Uncharted rip-off. I still decided to give it a chance from a Redbox rental yesterday, and I'm glad I did. It's basically open-world Uncharted, with nods to many fantastic adventure game mechanics.

I'm still a tad disappointed with how easily it is to compare to Uncharted, but all the same it stands on its own. I can't wait to see what else they do with the series going forward.

#20 Posted by murph85 (210 posts) -

Rolled the credits on this game the other day. I agree the QTE's could be given the ax for the next installment. And there sure as heck better be a next installment!

I loved playing this game, from beginning to end I enjoyed myself. Talking single player only, I never bothered with multi. I am traveling back through the early levels doing the challenges and collecting items I left behind. This is fun too. I am finding areas of the game I never saw before. There is platforming and exploring I missed pushing through the campaign. I am even finding a few enemies to take on. Don't know if they respawned or if they are guys I missed. I am coming up on 20 hours.

Poordevil

A sequel has already been confirmed to be in development for next-gen.