How does it compare to GRAW 2?

#1 Posted by twentymooseman (344 posts) -

I've heard mixed things about this game. How does it stand up to GRAW 2? GRAW 2 is probably one of my favorite tactical shooters and I've replayed the campaign at least 4 or 5 times. Is this game as challenging and exciting? Is it worth buying or should I just rent?

#2 Posted by Ice_man_1985 (4700 posts) -
yeah i want to know also
#3 Posted by BurningChrome (1666 posts) -

I've been playing GR since the pc demo came out back in '01/02.

Future Soldier is NOT Ghost recon!

In SP on Elite, you can't turn off auto aim.

You can't change the controller layout.

You can't change your weapons ROF.

In MP

There are two incredibly annoying gadgets with no way to counter them. That would be the flash bulb gun and the taser. When someone flashes you, the whole screen goes green for about 6-7 seconds and you can do NOTHING about it (provided you don't get shot)!

When someone tases you, they start "hacking" you. Again, NOTHING you can do about it but lay there and watch. Then when you come to and start to get up, they just kill you.

I'm all for cool gadgets, and these sound cool, until it happens to you. There is no way to counter them. like maybe wear a pair of glasses that reduce the flash effect. Or some sort of taser negating body armor. No options for that at all.

The maps are really small, urban, COD type maps. Not one large outdoor map with room to maneuver tactically.

The guns suck! The Goblin literally takes alnost the entire mag to bring someone down with! Don't like it? Tough! The weapons are now "unlocks"! As if I'm some short attention span twelve year old who needs a carrot dangled in front of me to entice me to keep playing. So that means you have to run around with crap guns whilst getting owned by everyone who has unlocked the better ones. And those don't unlock till you reach around level twenty!

The cover system is wonky! Lots of times I'll be in cover and move to the edge of a wall when the game will, for some reason, release me from being in cover (???). Now I'm just standing out there usually resulting in getting shot!

These are my major gripes, and only a fraction of the reasons why I'll be selling my copy!

R.I.P. Ghost Recon. It was fun while it lasted.

#4 Posted by soulfly626 (364 posts) -

whatever......

I been playing TC games since day one on pc. GR series chance since GR2. Why do ppl still bring up the OGR subject?? beats me!! ppl react like if its something new.

Ghost recon 2 tried to do Socom thing with the TPS. It did well....and this is where we are at.

Zipper is now gone because socom 4 just plain sucked.

Ghost recon fs is no different than GRAW and GRAW2(1.5)

I'm really having fun with the game....it think it's much more polished than the last two games in terms of SP.

I really like the new look and style.

The animations are by far better.....I hate the figure skating animations from the previous games.

as for the rate of fire....you can change it on gunsmith. I like this new direction....it feels fresh and new.

In this game you fight different type of enemies....that merc i think act smarter than the insurgents. but maybe its just me...

I really dont have a beef with the changes....I really like this game...and I own all TC games. 10x better than socom 4.

The maps could be a bit bigger but it's not a deal breaker....hopefully later as expansion packs.

Not perfect but great....just like the previous.

So far Im on my 4 or 5 mission....the african and artic missions are awesome!!! the sand storm is EPIC!!

I could also sit here and tear the game a part....but if you take it for what it is....its fun!

Trust me I would love a true GR sequel....but it's not going to happen. Not with UBI

But I heard the original Red Storn team now working on something good and not under UBI/Redstorm

For those of you looking for a tactical game ArmA series is the best out there.

#5 Posted by wilsonbdarnit (229 posts) -
Surpasses GRAW2 by far.
#6 Posted by twentymooseman (344 posts) -

I've been playing GR since the pc demo came out back in '01/02.

Future Soldier is NOT Ghost recon!

In SP on Elite, you can't turn off auto aim.

You can't change the controller layout.

You can't change your weapons ROF.

In MP

There are two incredibly annoying gadgets with no way to counter them. That would be the flash bulb gun and the taser. When someone flashes you, the whole screen goes green for about 6-7 seconds and you can do NOTHING about it (provided you don't get shot)!

When someone tases you, they start "hacking" you. Again, NOTHING you can do about it but lay there and watch. Then when you come to and start to get up, they just kill you.

I'm all for cool gadgets, and these sound cool, until it happens to you. There is no way to counter them. like maybe wear a pair of glasses that reduce the flash effect. Or some sort of taser negating body armor. No options for that at all.

The maps are really small, urban, COD type maps. Not one large outdoor map with room to maneuver tactically.

The guns suck! The Goblin literally takes alnost the entire mag to bring someone down with! Don't like it? Tough! The weapons are now "unlocks"! As if I'm some short attention span twelve year old who needs a carrot dangled in front of me to entice me to keep playing. So that means you have to run around with crap guns whilst getting owned by everyone who has unlocked the better ones. And those don't unlock till you reach around level twenty!

The cover system is wonky! Lots of times I'll be in cover and move to the edge of a wall when the game will, for some reason, release me from being in cover (???). Now I'm just standing out there usually resulting in getting shot!

These are my major gripes, and only a fraction of the reasons why I'll be selling my copy!

R.I.P. Ghost Recon. It was fun while it lasted.

BurningChrome

I've never really been a fan of Ghost Recon multiplayer. I just like the advance warfighter games because they've got the right balance of accessability and challenge. I heard that this one sort of holds your hand on the campaign which would really be a bummer.

#7 Posted by Ready4Pickup (21 posts) -
Surpasses GRAW2 by far.wilsonbdarnit
WRONG! GRAW 2 was awesome, it had so much weapons, useful weapons which sounded differentyl! FS has a ton of weapons too, but they all seem to sound the same and feel really powerless! M60 especially is a joke, it sounds like a popcorn machine. BIG lack of gamemodes in Future Soldier, which is a shame for 5 years of development. Siege is cool, if you have a good team. The game mode is basically a 1:1 copy of search and destroy from CoD. But the time you have to wait between rounds and matches makes it become really boring and annoying fast. I'd tell you to go and rent it before you buy it. The game mechanics, the movement and the cover system are nice, but need a little work, otherwise it's a solid game, but not worth 60$ imo. Most of my friends didn't even know there was a new ghost recon out! It seems like the devs knew this wasn't going to be a new top seller :\
#8 Posted by MarcRecon (5841 posts) -

[QUOTE="wilsonbdarnit"]Surpasses GRAW2 by far.Ready4Pickup
WRONG! :\

"NO....RIGHT" GRAW2 was an excellent game but it had it's list of flaws also. I wouldn't say that GRFS surpasses GRAW2 but I will say that it's an awsome entry into the series.

#9 Posted by eltonfm (14 posts) -

I don't play GR on multiplayer, so i can't really tell, but i have played the campaigns of both GRAW2 and GRFS.

In Future Soldier, you no longer get to issue move/wait commands to your team. On the other hand, there's a new feature where you mark enemies, just like Splinter Cell: Conviction, and you can give the order to have all of your teammates take a synchronized shot, dropping up to 4 enemies at once.

You also get a new Stealth Camouflage, which engages automatically if you're crouch or prone, and not firing. Does not work at all during a firefight, but can help A LOT in stealth sequences (also, new to GR are chapter segments which have you fail the mission if any alarm sounds).

You have a UAV, that can be used to scout forward terrain, and you can mark enemies with the use of it (maybe making things a little too easy). It can also be used on the ground, staying camouflaged white on ground.

About the vehicles, you no longer have tanks and Apaches at your disposal, but you do get access to a special kind of unmanned vehicle halfway through the game.

Health does regenerate now, and if you're downed, on some occasions instead of having to start from the last checkpoint, you have a window of time to crawl for cover and wait form a teammate to heal you. Healing partners or giving heal commands are still part of the game.

Sprinting now makes the camera lower and shaky, offering a more dramatic point of view. You can also sprint from cover to cover.

Future Soldier got less "tactical", but is still a good game. Pretty linear, and now it introduces some dramatic, on-rails sequences, and room entry sequences are just more "automatic", you take a spot, your team breaches the door, and then the game slows down in a familiar way, letting you take your time to shoot at all the bad guys you can.

New to the series is the Gunsmith mode, which can be accessed at the start of every chapter, allowing you to fully customize every aspect of your starting primary and secondary weapons, from the color and trigger to the optics and more. This mode has Kinect support, but i don't have one, and i think it's kind of disposable.

Maybe it's me, but Future Soldier just felt lengthier than its predecessors.

This is all i can remember from the top of my head, maybe i will just boot them up to have more details, but that's about it.

I didn't come back to it after finishing the campaign on Veteran, but it's worth the rent. You can take some challenges to unlock more weapons and weapons parts for the Gunsmith mode, play a new "Guerilla" mode, the Horde mode of the game where you face waves of enemies, or jump into multiplayer.