Piece of sh*t

User Rating: 2 | Thief PC

The new Thief, man....what a piece of shit. As soon as this immature goth girl shows up at the beginning I find myself wanting to bash her skull in merely for existing. Nice updated art design in the environs though, if limited in color palette. The level spaces are so surprisingly linear for a map that is difficult to navigate--I gave up looking for the route to the destination in chapter two, after I had explored seemingly every nook and cranny in the bottom half of the map, ground to roof, with the clumsy controls and limited avenues of movement. Stealing is boring, with tiresome animations for picking up each little object and ridiculous button mashing for each window, some of which don't stay open but others do. Stealing doesn't seem integral to the story, so not only its boring but pointless except to stock the collection at your hideout. Health, focus and weapon items are few and far between, so most of the time I had to go without. The character of Garrett is missing his trademark voice and soul from Dark Shadows. It took 4 separate playing times to get through the first chapter, because the incentive to continue was essentially nonexistent, and I loved Deadly Shadows. I'm done, time to uninstall it and sneak around in Farcry 3 instead.

eralbright

As for the mechanics of stealing in Thief, it seems it would be more challenging and substantial for a toddler to put a square block into a square hole and a triangle block into its receptacle. Mash your way though the window on an upstairs room, closed off from the rest of the house, and swoop your entire self to pull out every drawer in the desk or armoire and find a precious pen, inkwell or coin placed obsessively-compulsively in the center of otherwise threadbare drawers.  I call bullshit...nobody's desks are that cleanThe loot turns into instant currency.  They might as well have been floating gold coins that one took so much trouble to collect.  Mario could just dash and jump through them.  In Elder Scrolls: Skyrim at least you can keep your loot, and the prices they fetch depends on the location and fence, your personal qualities and assets.  The difference is like between night and Legendary.  This would seem to put the distinction of this game's title to question.  Pick the lock on the clothes chest and find a sculpted bust of value, because clothes chests are where folks prefer to keep their commemorative busts.  Finally you must button mash your way out of the same window.  Rinse and Repeat.

Another placement of loot which seemed odd was finding an unused golden chandelier sitting pretty on a crate in a side shed where the guards had posted at the foot of the Baron's tower.  All rather makeshift, but someone managed to bring this golden chandelier along, ostensibly to ogle as he kept watch.  There were two open doorways in the small shed, so the chandelier is practically gift-wrapped for any prospective thief. Pffft....something must be wrong with it, or worth not much in the saturated chandelier market.

The game map overall seems like a lot of tall hallways and closed-off rooms, with the occasional open mansion.  Given this narrow linear structure, the game is compelled to depend on the story to carry it and to thoroughly entertain the player.  This as it has been pointed out by myself and other reviewers is the hole where the waterlogged ship got sunk.  To make up for its narrative shortcomings, the game employs blinkety-flash notations and indicators much in the annoying and eye-numbing spirit of Dishonored and Tomb Raider.  Other special effects substitute too - each time I sneak behind a passerby and swipe a purse, the ensuing cloud of black mist conjures the perception that Professor Quirrell just sharted Voldemort.  Next.

eralbright

I appreciate the responses. To clarify my feelings re the character "Erin" in the game, so soon into it it becomes clear that the game and Garrett's future endeavors were going to center around this immature and unbalanced young female thieving "counterpart".  While associating with such seems like a odious prospect as best to me personally, it comes also as a shock compared to Deadly Shadows in which Garrett was a magnificently lone figure, with chutzpah and sarcasm oozing in his voice and scarified countenance.  In contrast, the new Garrett seems to provide only a fraction of his predecessor's character and wit, and is seemingly pointlessly over-concerned about this girl with little background or pretext in the game series, the child who attempted to pickpocket Garrett in Deadly Shadows notwithstanding.

I like FarCry 3 for a several reasons - more realistic visibility while sneaking being one one of them.  I also enjoyed  playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and Rainbow Six.  Ultimately, I didn't uninstall Thief - my curiosity got the better of me and I figured out where I was stuck in Chapter 2 and played it through to the end.  I really liked the atmospherics and the quality of the art design - I wished the resolution was even higher to parry across the uncanny valley, and my video settings were maxed out - but my strong sentiments concerning the terrible plot and characters persist.  The storyboard needs a complete rewrite to be mature, original and longstanding.  Compare with the stories in Half-Life 2, BioShock Infinite, and yes even FarCry 3.

To improve the story, Erin should be cut out, or at least designed so that you can carry out heists with or without her, your choice.  More grand side missions, with an involved and intriguing story behind each artifact or object in need of procuring.  More conversations with townsfolk are needed, more people in the streets.  More doors and windows able to be opened.  When I initially heard about the new Thief game, I immediately fantasized a dark Victorian City and annexes with Skyrim-degree of movement, interaction and quests, with roads and hideouts which will over the course of the game see much wear from use.  I don't seem to find find that in the new Thief story and game universe.

MashedBuddha
MashedBuddha

Garret's trademark voice started in Thief 1 and 2.  Deadly Shadows was a couple steps down from those two, especially with consolized two halves of each level with a fat loading screen between.  Yes there are (very quick) loading screens throughout the city, to traverse from section to section, but none in the levels that I have found so far, and Chapter 3 is fairly large.  Thief 2014 is a step down from 1 and 2, but still better than Deadly Shadows.  I agree with the linearity but it's not always that linear every single time.  Stealing isn't specifically integral to the story, but you're a ... thief.  And with the money there many upgrades to purchase.  I always have something to spend it on, so far.  Wait you complain about not having enough focus and weapon items?  You can buy that shit with all the money you get from  STEALING.  Lol

thekeepersrule
thekeepersrule

"The new Thief, man....what a piece of shit.  As soon as this immature goth girl shows up at the beginning I find myself wanting to bash her skull in merely for existing."

This makes your review sound so educated and credible.

ninboxstation
ninboxstation

you are not a stealth gamer, have proably no patience .. (especially if you prefere to stealth in FC3...)

than this is the wrong game for you (doesn't mean it's a bad game..)

eralbright

@MashedBuddha  I found myself lacking before I met the enterprising merchant beyond the area I was stuck on, a fellow who must have had an identical twin elsewhere the City in the same business.  Replenishments had been scant up to that point.

Plinky89
Plinky89

@eralbright @MashedBuddha  How could you run out of medical item before finding the merchant lol. You are obviously playing the game without stealthing much eh? If you truly played the former thief games you would have started straight on with max difficulty and wouldn't have such problems o_O

PS: The first merchat is right after you meet with Basso... and It takes like 30/60 mins of gameplay at hardest difficulty without skipping any loot.

PPS: Try to rely more on Garret's core skills instead of gadgets/items... and quicksave a lot...