Do I need to play the first 2 before this?

#1 Posted by raydawg2000 (155 posts) -

Are these games all 1 big story and I should play 1 and 2 before this?

#2 Posted by AUG-BAS-ROM (4 posts) -

I've heard that they're all one story.  I haven't played them yet, but will soon.

If you plan on buying them, now's the time as they're both on sale on steam atm. 

#3 Posted by Mikka_kippa (971 posts) -
Not mandatory, but it'll help you understand a lot, especially even the title of the game. If you can't afford the game, go to the library and read a couple of the books. They're pretty good, and relevant enough to make you know what's up.
#4 Posted by Jawad2007 (421 posts) -

I wish if I were you , i ll play Witcher 1 and 2 !! I played witcher 1 4 times and Witcher 2 6 timeS wonderfull times

#5 Posted by Duke877 (1 posts) -
Witcher 1 and 2 are both great games, so if you are RPG fan you should definitely play them. You have plenty of time before Witcher 3. Witcher 1 graphics might be a bit outdated at this point, and combat is kinda clunky , but it's worth it for the sake of story. Witcher 2 is my favorite game of all time, one of the best RPgs for sure.
#6 Posted by Paoksis (479 posts) -

it would be a good idea,so that you get immersed right into the game the first time you play it...but there is no "real" requirement of the 2 previous installments

when you finished the 2nd witcher,you'll be so eager to play the 3rd 

#7 Posted by skywalkerforce (183 posts) -

I have started playing them but the first games combat mechanics are a little bit wonky if you aren't used to it. Fair warning.

#8 Posted by killerspawn (116 posts) -

@skywalkerforce:

that they are lol

#9 Edited by kaziklu_bey (101 posts) -

Why do people even post questions like this one?
You shouldn't play witcher at all if you don't wanna learn it's lore, get to know it's characters, because this game is not about swinging your sword at enemies. The main thing here is story telling, and not only you should play both prequels, you should also read books.
Best RPG experience I've ever had.